Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser - Approval - Required Courses

Do any fellow Kaiser members have advice on how to avoid the 'mandatory' 6 month options classes? I've seen other forums where people stated they appealed the courses, not required o take them, and we're still approved for WLS.

I tried to reach those people but have yet o receive a response and am in the 'schedule the options courses' stage. I just took an intense nutrition course, my fiancé is a RN, and I have been researching surgery for 1.5 years. I already know what to expect.

All advice and info is much appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I took them all. I have no regrets. There was a LOT of good information in the classes for me. In fact, because I was honest with them (which was the right thing to do) and admitted to still drinking Diet Pepsi occasionally they made me wait another month before they sent me in for approval. I was angry, but it was my own fault for not getting that crap out of my system. I honestly would take them again. I researched the surgery for years before finally getting an insurance company that would pay for it.

Thanks for the honest response!!

I have Kaiser SoCal and they're supposed to give the options of the 6 month options classes or at least 6 months of medically supervised diets within the last 3 years. I have SEVERAL rounds of medically supervised diets yet they're still saying the courses are mandatory. Why should I have to do the courses when I chose to do the medically supervised diets in an attempt to lose the weight without surgery?

Thanks for the honest response!!

I have Kaiser SoCal and they're supposed to give the options of the 6 month options classes or at least 6 months of medically supervised diets within the last 3 years. I have SEVERAL rounds of medically supervised diets yet they're still saying the courses are mandatory. Why should I have to do the courses when I chose to do the medically supervised diets in an attempt to lose the weight without surgery?

I have Kaiser SoCal too. More specifically Kaiser Orange County. I'd be interested in finding out too lol. I actually wouldn't mind taking the classes but I really would love to get the ball rolling so I could take time off at the same time as my kids during winter break. For Kaiser OC our classes are only 12 weeks. My options classes start in September and probably would end around November/December. I have so many questions myself. Like I don't have any MSWL programs and do I need to get started on one? And can I do all my required tests during the 12 week period? Yea so I'll have to wait for my orientation to ask all this crap.

This is a dumb question but have you tried searching kp.org for this info? Or maybe calling them to find out how to challenge taking the courses?

I'm Kaiser San Diego. Apparently the programs are different with each region

I've honestly searched everywhere and even called Kaiser, only to be told I have to follow the WLS appeals process, yet they don't provide the info for the appeals process or where to find it.

Kaiser states you can take the mandatory options courses OR at least 6 months of medically supervised diets/ weight loss programs in a 3 year period (includes weight watchers, Jenny Craig, etc.).

I hate that the waiting period between referral and orientation is so far apart! Haven't we been fat, unhappy, and self conscious long enough?

I'm Kaiser San Diego. Apparently the programs are different with each region

I've honestly searched everywhere and even called Kaiser, only to be told I have to follow the WLS appeals process, yet they don't provide the info for the appeals process or where to find it.

Kaiser states you can take the mandatory options courses OR at least 6 months of medically supervised diets/ weight loss programs in a 3 year period (includes weight watchers, Jenny Craig, etc.).

I hate that the waiting period between referral and orientation is so far apart! Haven't we been fat, unhappy, and self conscious long enough?

Could you transfer to Kaiser OC or Inland Empire if you do end up having to take the options classes at least they are only 12 weeks vs. 24. Just a thought. Hang in there I know this is all very frustrating but it will be worth it in the end.

I am Kaiser nor cal. It is very different here. I just had my orientation appt. my physical appt on the same day. Next week I have my nutrition class and lifestyle class. I also meet with my surgeon. I did my lab tests following my orientation class. They got my results called me and scheduled my psych appt for middle of sept. I am going to have surgery the end of sept beginning of October.

I am Kaiser nor cal. It is very different here. I just had my orientation appt. my physical appt on the same day. Next week I have my nutrition class and lifestyle class. I also meet with my surgeon. I did my lab tests following my orientation class. They got my results called me and scheduled my psych appt for middle of sept. I am going to have surgery the end of sept beginning of October.

That's really awesome! Congrats! I don't understand why they don't follow the same procedures across the board. I have my orientation class today! WOOHOO! I had originally gone to the doctor for a physical and that's when I asked for the bariatric surgery referral. I have already done labs but those were for my physical. I guess I will find out today if i need to do more somewhere down the line. I think all of your lab work has to be done within six months of you getting the surgery so it's likely I will have to redo the lab work.

I am really hoping the process goes fast so that my surgery time off is around winter break. I wouldn't have to drive anyone around and work is usually slow around that time too so that would be helpful all around...but Murphy's Law, right? LOL

I hope it goes fast for you!!! keep me posted. I'll let u know what happens next week as well. I hope to take like 3 weeks off work so fingers crossed.

I actually started at Kaiser Fremont and switched to Kaiser ssf because they are such a finely "oiled machine" with their process. Their Drs are outstanding. I was so impressed from the start. I will keep u all posted on my process as I move along. I should tell u I am also an ER nurse as well.

Nor cal is beautiful MissKate! just saying.

My meeting with the surgeon is 8/17 then nutrition and lifestyle classes immediately after. So I will let u all know how that goes. Exciting stuff.

I am also a San Diego Kaiser patient and I was also annoyed by the 6 months of classes. But now 2 years out, I would pay to go to those classes! It is not just the content it is the support and the relationships that I developed there. I got so much from our guest speakers and I also ended up founding the SD Kaiser WLS support group Facebook page. The people I met there have been a huge support and it helps that we have all gone through the same education and have the same group of surgeons. Yes it is a pain in the butt but making that commitment and making that time for your self is completely worth it!

My biggest issues with the courses isn't just the 6 month requirement, but my schedule as well. I work full time AND am a full time student. I can't guarantee I can set aside the time blocks required for the courses and can't miss work on a regular basis.

I've also done years of research and am in the nursing program. I live and breathe health and nutrition courses haha!

I'm still trying to bypass the courses with the medically assisted/observed diet programs I've already completed. Haven't received an okay, but also haven't been denied just yet ;)

My biggest issues with the courses isn't just the 6 month requirement, but my schedule as well. I work full time AND am a full time student. I can't guarantee I can set aside the time blocks required for the courses and can't miss work on a regular basis.

I've also done years of research and am in the nursing program. I live and breathe health and nutrition courses haha!

I'm still trying to bypass the courses with the medically assisted/observed diet programs I've already completed. Haven't received an okay, but also haven't been denied just yet ;)

Ahhh now I understand. Yea, I don't see why you would have to take the classes. I hope you can figure out a way to "bypass" the classes.