Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone NOT have a miserable recovery?

Mine was very smooth. Some nausea in the hospital (especially after drinking contrast dye. Yuck!).

I was sore for a few days, but nothing worse than after my c-section. Just took it easy.

I also wasn't miserable about not eating because I never had a liquids/puree stage. I got to eat small amounts right off the bat, so I never felt deprived.

Almost 1 year out, down 110 pounds. I was also self pay.... Best $10k I've ever spent!

Mine was very smooth. Some nausea in the hospital (especially after drinking contrast dye. Yuck!).

I was sore for a few days, but nothing worse than after my c-section. Just took it easy.

I also wasn't miserable about not eating because I never had a liquids/puree stage. I got to eat small amounts right off the bat, so I never felt deprived.

Almost 1 year out, down 110 pounds. I was also self pay.... Best $10k I've ever spent!

oh man, no liquid/purees? how did you manage to get away with that? lol

@ all surgeons post-op restrictions are vastly different, so I suspect her's allowed it!

I feel like @@Dub is right, though. Most who have no issue move on and rock their life. Not all, but most!

I, however, wanted to stick around too because of that reason.

I will say that mine wasn't as smooth sailing as I thought it would be. I had the opposite of you, everything I read from people before my surgery was "it was so easy!", "the gas pain is the worst part, and walking makes you feel ten times better!"

I did have some serious pain when I woke up in recovery, some serious nausea that first day after. But with a culmination of pain meds and anti-nausea meds, I was a happy camper. I didn't have a drain or catheter. I got up and walked every couple of hours to alleviate the gas pain. Gas-x strips were also my best friend for about 2 weeks after surgery. However, that was it. I've had no issue with anything (except a slight aversion to eggs that has since passed). I'm 8 weeks out and I've lost 41lbs. I feel a lot better, and while sometimes I get frustrated that I can't eat more, or that I can't eat certain things, I know it's all worth it to be lighter and happier than I have the last 7 years of being overweight.

No complications or problems for me. I had some pain in my left shoulder the first couple weeks until I figured out that it would go away if I sat differently and was tired / weak the first few weeks but that was all. Did not take any pain meds after I left the hospital. Periodically I get some nausea and discomfort with certain foods or if I eat too fast. I will say that I think it is very important to have a good surgeon. Ask your surgeon about the risk and how many vsgs that perform each year or have performed. I went to a center of excellence for Bariatric surgery and am glad I did.

Nothing to do with OP, but it's good to see a fellow 'Burgher on the boards. I had my surgery at Magee in 2013. Hope all is well.

Lorie

oh man, no liquid/purees? how did you manage to get away with that? lol

Totally on plan! It's not common, but there are some surgeons out there that go straight to solids. I was nervous that it would hurt, but I followed my plan as written, and it was awesome, haha

I had absolutely no problems, because I had realistic expectations about the actual surgery and I mentally and physically prepared myself.

I "borrowed" this from another post. I think it says it all.

"Some things that anyone having surgery needs to remember:

1. This is major surgery - its going to hurt, and you are going to feel like crap. It gets better.

2. No one gives awards for not taking your pain medications. There are no get out of jail free cards for people that "stand the pain stoically" If it hurts, take the meds.

3. Follow the guidelines for your diet recommendations. If you are supposed to have liquid for the first week, that doesn't mean pizza in a blender.

4. Put on your big girl/boy pants and drink the Protein drinks and Water. No amount of whining replaces the nutrition you need from Protein and the hydration you need from Water. A trip to the E.R is not a fun replacement.

5. Stay off the scales the first couple of weeks - your body has been through the blender, and no matter how much you think you should have lost, its going to take a while.

6. Don't compare your loss to the losses of others. You will lose at the rate that is right for you - all comparison shopping does is upset you. There's always going to be someone that claims they lost 25# a week -- maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Its like comparing salaries at work - you wont get a raise just because Jim makes more than you do - you'll just get po'd about it.

7. Once you get to the point you are feeling better - Exercise. You don't have to LIKE it - you just have to DO it.

8. Stick with your nutritional guidelines - yes I said that in #3 but it bears repeating. Just because you are bored with soft foods doesn't mean you go out and have chips and dip and burritos.

9. If it hurts, STOP eating. It doesn't matter if its a teaspoon or a cup - nothing good will come of going past your comfort level.

10. HANG IN THERE.... this works! Just give it time."

Author Unknown

No complications or problems for me at all. I say surgery and recovery was textbook. I knew I had surgery but never got nausea and I have never threw up at all still today. I stop pain meds early after I got home. I was slow getting in the Water and Protein goal for the first week. I work harder on Water than food. It is amazing how little food you can get in in the beginning but it will become more normal after all the swelling is gone. Well our new normal anyway.

2. No one gives awards for not taking your pain medications. There are no get out of jail free cards for people that "stand the pain stoically" If it hurts, take the meds.

hahahaha! i love that. thanks for all the great advice!!

Hi folks!

This is my first post ever. I've been researching VGS on and off for about a year and I think I may be ready to bite the bullet. My insurance will not cover the procedure since my BMI is slightly below 40 and with what I have you need two co morbid conditions as well so I'll be self paying.

I have been a decade long yo-yo dieter. I gain and lose the same 35 to 75 lbs every year. I lose fast, then I regain even faster. I have fairly severe anxiety and the extra weight makes it so much worse. After much research I feel like this is a tool that could finally move me forward.

Now that I'm getting more serious about it I've been going from general information to reading people's actual experiences. It seems like every single story I read and every video I see is someone relaying an AWFUL and miserable recovery that lasted months on end. Is this just how it is? I don't know if I'm uninformed or if people are more likely to share a more extreme story.

I had a DCR 3 years ago and a full laparoscopic hysterectomy about 2 years ago and I understand that this will be my biggest surgery ever.

It's kind of scaring me though! I'm not expecting a pleasant time and I can handle post surgical pain but some of these stories make it sound like a year long horror show. Just looking for input. Thanks!

Hi! I had my surgery on July 5. It was a breeze! Previously I had gallbladder removal, partial hysterectomy and knee surgery. This sleeve was nothing like that. I was up walking around and feeling great right after surgery. Everyone's experience is different but it helps to be positive and prepared! Take so me GasX strips with you and start walking asap. Gas was the most pain I felt. Best of luck to you, I think you will do great

One more thing, I could not stand the chocolate, vanilla thick shakes for the first two weeks. I was so glad I had the nectar orange from Syntrax. It was exactly what I needed.

I had my surgery on May 19, 2016 and I have had zero complications. The hardest part of the process was my pre-diet of 10 days which was very hard for the first couple of days (headaches, diet coke cravings, and starving) and the fear of the unknown. I have been so blessed, very little to no pain, no gas, and I can eat small amounts of everything (I haven't tried sugar, rice or Pasta, just no desire to eat those things).

Since my pre-diet I have lost 43 pounds, have 27 pounds more to go and feel incredible. The most important thing to remember is that this is a major surgery, do a lot of research about Doctors, and go in with a positive attitude. Immediately after surgery I began walking. Four days after surgery I was walking in the park every morning 2 miles a day and now I am walking 4-5 miles a day. Life is different after surgery, but so much better, I feel like I am finally becoming a healthy, normal weight person.

I am right at 15 days past op and I feel great. This was my very first ever surgery and I've done great. No pain, no pain meds. Walking between a mile to a mile and a half every evening. My incisions look great, nice and pink. No pain in chest, no vomiting. .nothing. so yeah, mine is going good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App

I had zero complications. I only needed my pain meds for a few days before I felt great. Not being able to sleep on my side for a week due to the drain was irritating, but not the end of the world. I have not thrown up once since my surgery June 9th. The most miserable thing for me was being limited to liquids for 3 weeks, with the addition of cheese for an additional 4 weeks. But then I remembered that this was my choice, and if I don't follow the guidelines given to me by my team I am not going to be successful and that is more important than making a potentially bad choice.

I am 5 weeks out, I follow my post op diet plan as instructed. I have not had any problems so far. My recovery after surgery was better than I expected, the pain wasn't really pain, just more uncomfortable than anything. I also had a low bmi to start with at 31. I have lost 25lbs this first month. The only issue I have had is Constipation, which I don't really think is that bad of an issue. I don't have any negative feedback about the sleeve surgery. Everyone has different bodies and react to things differently. People tend to vent more when things aren't going well which us why you may see more negative feedback than positive. All in all...I'm happy I had the surgery, I feel great! Was back at work a week after surgery. Good luck and don't be afraid

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App