Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone NOT have a miserable recovery?

Hi folks!

This is my first post ever. I've been researching VGS on and off for about a year and I think I may be ready to bite the bullet. My insurance will not cover the procedure since my BMI is slightly below 40 and with what I have you need two co morbid conditions as well so I'll be self paying.

I have been a decade long yo-yo dieter. I gain and lose the same 35 to 75 lbs every year. I lose fast, then I regain even faster. I have fairly severe anxiety and the extra weight makes it so much worse. After much research I feel like this is a tool that could finally move me forward.

Now that I'm getting more serious about it I've been going from general information to reading people's actual experiences. It seems like every single story I read and every video I see is someone relaying an AWFUL and miserable recovery that lasted months on end. Is this just how it is? I don't know if I'm uninformed or if people are more likely to share a more extreme story.

I had a DCR 3 years ago and a full laparoscopic hysterectomy about 2 years ago and I understand that this will be my biggest surgery ever.

It's kind of scaring me though! I'm not expecting a pleasant time and I can handle post surgical pain but some of these stories make it sound like a year long horror show. Just looking for input. Thanks!

I'm only a month out. I've been able to get most of my Water and Protein in after the first couple of days. The pain wasn't too bad, though I did hurt myself about a week in when I pulled the area around my stitch. The worst thing was a terrible taste in my mouth and some taste changes. I've been somewhat tired, but overall have been doing quite well. No complications at all. Definitely looking forward to moving on to soft foods on Tuesday!

Some people do have complications, but the majority do not. You have to weigh the potential benefits against the potential risks and decide if it's worth it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think it is a really great idea that you are researching and being thorough. Your post says that you have seen that several of us have had problems (don't read mine if you are squeamish).

Are you wanting to hear that it will all be okay? Because it might be. But it might take months of recovery. It's major abdominal surgery. Even if everything is perfect.

Then your body has to adjust to the lack of solid food, low calorie diet etc. Learning to get your fluids and Protein in.

This is a life changing event. I have had loads of surgery including open hysterectomy and full abdominoplasty but this surgery has really kicked my a**s!

And if my BMI had been below 40 and I was only talking about 75lbs, no way would I consider having the majority of my stomach removed.

If you have anxiety, how will you manage this condition post op? Do you have a therapist who can help you with the mental health changes e.g. hormone dump, depression etc post op?

Will your anxiety manifest in food aversion, food revulsion post op?

Just explore, research, explore some more. You can always do it but you cannot undo it.

Best wishes in whatever you decide to do. I was convinced this was my answer.

I wish that I had read stories like mine before I did it.

That's why I stay here and post.

I wasn't miserable. I was tired and sore but nothing I couldn't manage. I haven't thrown up once since surgery (3+ years ago) and did not feel nausea after surgery. I didn't have any complications.

I do think you are more likely to read negative stories on a message board/app for the surgery because this is where people come if they need information, support, or to vent. Most people don't post about completely uneventful things.

I had some nausea in hospital which was managed with some meds. Minimal pain. Was on paracetomol when i left hospital. No vomiting etc.

I was sore for about three weeks but nothing horrible. I was tired for about the same amount of time

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I never felt miserable at all......My only "bad" time was in the hospital when I first woke up and they were moving me to my room....they didn't have my pain pump ready so I was in quite a bit of pain for what felt like about an hour....it was probably much less time than that......But anyway once I was connected to my pain pump with my little button it was all roses from there. Within a couple of hours I was up walking the halls and the next day I was home. It took me about 5 days to get my Fluid and Protein up to where they needed to be.....I never had to take any pain meds once I got home. My surgery was on a Monday and I was back working the following Monday.

Just be aware that everyone's experience is different. Just because someone else had a tough time or an easy time you won't know how yours will be until it actually happens.........I think the best thing to do is once you've made the decision to have surgery is to go into it with a positive attitude and make sure to follow all your surgeon's instructions in order to ensure the best outcome for "you."

Good luck!!

My BMI was 39 and I had 2 co-morbidities so insurance paid for mine. My recovery was quick and mainly uneventful.

The only complaint I had was difficulty drinking after my leak test post-op while I was in the hospital. I felt pain when I swallowed. Finally figured out that warm fluids worked better for me and I definitely had to sip. I could not drink anything and it took most of the night to get the right combination of pain med and nausea med to work for me. I stayed an extra day in the hospital because I did not want to go home until I could consistently sip. I did not want to come back for dehydration.

I did not have to take any pain meds after the second day. I felt so good once I got home that I bent over to get a basket of clothes and had a muscle pull. That stopped me from overdoing it. LOL

I was back at work/school in 4 days and felt fine. I was a little tired beause my calorie intake was different, but it wasn't too bad since I had to be on liquids for a week before I had surgery. The difference was before surgery I could drink as much as I wanted, but after surgery just sips. It took a couple of weeks for me to get in my Protein. I still have trouble getting in 64 oz of Fluid a day, but I can drink liquids now. I still can't and probably never will be able to chug a half bottle of Water, but it I can drink enough to quench my thirst.

My surgery was in March and I am almost 5 months post op. I have lost 55 pounds. Hope this helps.

I considered my self fairly lucky, a little pain the first night, once I got home I had to get used to sleeping on my back because sleeping on my side would bother me. I was able to get my fluids down fairly easy just building up QTY day by day. I returned to working 10-11 shift 6 days post-op. Only other issue was some Constipation for a few weeks afterwards. I still get constipated now every once in a while but it's really only once in a while and not nearly as bad.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using the BariatricPal App

It is different for everyone but mine was very difficult. No lie you get nausea quite a bit. You get kinda mental lol. My bowel obstructed at 2 weeks so another surgery. was in and out of the hospital 18 days the first two months. At 6 months the gallbladder had to go so another surgery.I'm 18 months out now and it's still a challenge can't be far from a bathroom but hey I'm a size 4. Life is good and there are good and bad days so I'll keep on going cause I can't turn back now. Good luck with your journey.

It is different for everyone but mine was very difficult. No lie you get nausea quite a bit. You get kinda mental lol. My bowel obstructed at 2 weeks so another surgery. was in and out of the hospital 18 days the first two months. At 6 months the gallbladder had to go so another surgery.I'm 18 months out now and it's still a challenge can't be far from a bathroom but hey I'm a size 4. Life is good and there are good and bad days so I'll keep on going cause I can't turn back now. Good luck with your journey.

Oh my stars! You had a worse time than me! I so understand the "mental" part. I was in hospital for weeks and in and out alot after. They want my gallbladder out too!

Glad to hear that you are better now.

Here is my perspective. A terminal cancer patient would give anything to be in our shoes.

I bounced back quickly with my surgery. This was nothing compared to child birth pain. look for statistics of complications. There are many of us that are doing fine. My mind was so focused on healing to get on with loosing weight.

This choice has been one of the best things in my life. No regret.

@ It's so important to research and I commend you for that. I'm pre-op and have been preparing for about 6 months. I encourage therapy to deal with any eating"issues" so you have all the tools available post-op. I've read many stories on here and other places and would say the majority of people don't have a miserable recovery. It's not easy but if you follow your surgeon's instructions you have a better chance of not having complications. Ask your surgeon about post-op complication rates. Go to some support groups and talk to those who have been through it. With a BMI close to 40 - your chance of having significant health problems is much greater than the risk of surgery complications. Good luck on your journey!

My recovery was great. No nausea, discharged the same day of surgery, off of pain meds by day three. My gallbladder did have to be removed 9 months out, though.

Best decision I've ever made in life.