Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pissing off my boss

So around the july 25th?ish I made a point to talk to my boss and give her a heads up since I had just met with my surgeon. Being I work in a hospital on a very busy floor I have been wanting to give as much notice as possible so we can find a stand in for my shifts. Well my next appointment is set for sept 1st but the insurance company called this past Tuesday saying I had been approved, which was weeks faster then we had planned. Also the dr told me I had to lose 15 lbs, and so far I've dropped 12. So I will be calling my surgeon to get an appointment in the next few days to move this along quicker. So this is all moving much faster then I had planned. I tried to explain that to my boss and instead of looking at a 3rd week n sept date I looking at a last week of Aug date. Our schedule are put out for 28 days at a time which means I will still work all but 1 week of this next schedule. Anyway it didn't go over very well and she got about half way through the statement of "well I can't guarantee your job". I'm more then a little worried about losing said job but I have no protection under fmla since I've only been with my hospital 7 months. But it more then a little irritates mr becuase when i first told her about this she aaid she would do whatever we needed because this was important. At the same time I don't think I can put this off again, this is the second time I've had to do all this I'm ready to be on the other side of it. Ugh just really frustrated... I don't want to lose my job but I can't wait another month I've been on a modified liquid diet for 2 weeks already :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

Sorry to hear this, I got a lot of flack at my job for taking off and doing this "elective" surgery... I had to make the difficult choice that if I lose this job or the insurance I will not be able to have the surgery. So do what I can now...

Sent from my LG-H900 using the BariatricPal App

are you in the USA? apply for FMLA. mine covered continuous for 4 weeks after surgery and intermittent for a year so they can not tell me I can't go to my follow up appointments.

Sorry to hear this, I got a lot of flack at my job for taking off and doing this "elective" surgery... I had to make the difficult choice that if I lose this job or the insurance I will not be able to have the surgery. So do what I can now...

Sent from my LG-H900 using the BariatricPal App

Thankfully my insurance is through my husband's job so even if I lost mine it wouldn't effect the surgery process.

are you in the USA? apply for FMLA. mine covered continuous for 4 weeks after surgery and intermittent for a year so they can not tell me I can't go to my follow up appointments.

I'm not protected under fmla, it requires you to be with the company for a yr first. I've only been here 7 months.

Depending on your skills, screw it. Have the surgery and if she fires you, then get another job. The year is almost over, might as well do it now and not delay.

This is all if you have a skill set where you can quickly acquire another job. Just look for another job. Do you even want to work for someone like this?

@@Kyn13 I'd be very surprised if your boss had any say in whether you lost your job. Usually they don't have that much power in a hospital setting. Go to HR and ask for unpaid medical leave. Don't fall prey to a bitchy boss on a power trip!

Depending on your skills, screw it. Have the surgery and if she fires you, then get another job. The year is almost over, might as well do it now and not delay.

This is all if you have a skill set where you can quickly acquire another job. Just look for another job. Do you even want to work for someone like this?

I have plenty of skills and credentials to go else where.i have my cna, rma, phlebotomy, & I can read heart monitors. My lpn is next :) I enjoy my job and the fact I get to work in so many departments. I'm having the surgery I refuse to let her stop me just sucks major that it had to come to this. Cause up to this point she has been a pretty great boss. I'm sure it has alot to do with us being majorly short staffed on both days and nights n my unit. But still it's not my fault we don't have the extra in our budget for me to train a different tech to do my job. I mean I have almost a whole month to do it.

@@Kyn13 I'd be very surprised if your boss had any say in whether you lost your job. Usually they don't have that much power in a hospital setting. Go to HR and ask for unpaid medical leave. Don't fall prey to a bitchy boss on a power trip!

Yeah most definitely, hr is on my list of stops but I have already called last week she told me to come in when I have a solid date, I'm going to try and get that nailed down this week since I'm 3 lbs from his goal

And the uber shitty thing is, my boss has known for a month that I've been saving up all my pto, vac, sick and holiday hours so that I can get one full check while I'm off for a month so if she fires me I lose it.

Edited by Kyn13

Hope that HR can reassure you. It's seems very wrong to be able to fire someone for having a medical procedure.

Hope that HR can reassure you. It's seems very wrong to be able to fire someone for having a medical procedure.

Yeah but unfortunately it's an elective procedure which is why she is giving me grief over, I'm sure she thinks I should just postpone it till better time for her.

So around the july 25th?ish I made a point to talk to my boss and give her a heads up since I had just met with my surgeon. Being I work in a hospital on a very busy floor I have been wanting to give as much notice as possible so we can find a stand in for my shifts. Well my next appointment is set for sept 1st but the insurance company called this past Tuesday saying I had been approved, which was weeks faster then we had planned. Also the dr told me I had to lose 15 lbs, and so far I've dropped 12. So I will be calling my surgeon to get an appointment in the next few days to move this along quicker. So this is all moving much faster then I had planned. I tried to explain that to my boss and instead of looking at a 3rd week n sept date I looking at a last week of Aug date. Our schedule are put out for 28 days at a time which means I will still work all but 1 week of this next schedule. Anyway it didn't go over very well and she got about half way through the statement of "well I can't guarantee your job". I'm more then a little worried about losing said job but I have no protection under fmla since I've only been with my hospital 7 months. But it more then a little irritates mr becuase when i first told her about this she aaid she would do whatever we needed because this was important. At the same time I don't think I can put this off again, this is the second time I've had to do all this I'm ready to be on the other side of it. Ugh just really frustrated... I don't want to lose my job but I can't wait another month I've been on a modified liquid diet for 2 weeks already :(

Oh my goodness our situations are too similar. I just finished my six month supervised weight loss and attended my final review with surgeon and nurse coordinator. Unbeknownst to me my insurance from my job (hospital) that I started this year in April just kicked in. So the day after my final review the nurse coordinator called and said that my work insurance is now my primary insurance (previously it was the insurance through my mom) and my work's insurance has different guidelines for approval. One being that I only had to do 3 months instead of 6(what my mom's insurance required). That didn't upset me too much, but what did is that I now have to weigh 20% less than I did at my initial consult. Now everything is stalled until I loose 5 more pounds.

The unit I work on isn't too busy but it is fairly new so we don't have a lot of staff. I've been keeping my manager updated as much as I can but I'm so pissed off. I am hoping to get a surgery date before the new schedules are posted. I was not anticipating this road block in my life right now. I'm currently applying to nursing school and now I have the pressure to loose 5 pounds ASAP.

I was supposed to be done after my final review. I just feel so discouraged I don't know what to do. I've been drinking broth and Protein shakes trying to loose weight as fast as I can. Working full time AND preparing for nursing school really has me wanting to dig into some carbs but I can't.

Oh my goodness our situations are too similar. I just finished my six month supervised weight loss and attended my final review with surgeon and nurse coordinator. Unbeknownst to me my insurance from my job (hospital) that I started this year in April just kicked in. So the day after my final review the nurse coordinator called and said that my work insurance is now my primary insurance (previously it was the insurance through my mom) and my work's insurance has different guidelines for approval. One being that I only had to do 3 months instead of 6(what my mom's insurance required). That didn't upset me too much, but what did is that I now have to weigh 20% less than I did at my initial consult. Now everything is stalled until I loose 5 more pounds.

The unit I work on isn't too busy but it is fairly new so we don't have a lot of staff. I've been keeping my manager updated as much as I can but I'm so pissed off. I am hoping to get a surgery date before the new schedules are posted. I was not anticipating this road block in my life right now. I'm currently applying to nursing school and now I have the pressure to loose 5 pounds ASAP.

I was supposed to be done after my final review. I just feel so discouraged I don't know what to do. I've been drinking broth and Protein shakes trying to loose weight as fast as I can. Working full time AND preparing for nursing school really has me wanting to dig into some carbs but I can't.

Omg we are like twins lol I know it's soooo hard to miss the carbs. But no lie I've been on my no carb kick for 12 days and lost 12 lbs, now I'm not gonna lie I've cheated and I hated my self for it but I've tried to not let it throw me Completely off. I drink 3-4 Protein Shakes a day and then once a day I each either chicken or beef with cheese on it lol ( read mcdonald's burger or grilled chicken) I know way pathetic lol however we will get through this!!! I've got 3 lbs and I'm making an appointment with my Dr any way I don't want to wait till the sept 1st appointment. 4 days a week which are my days off I try to spend swimming since walking and running are too hard on my body. What is the carb content in ur shakes? What about in ur daily in take? I've been trying to keep mine under 20g a day. But I'm also getting 100-170g of Protein a day as well. Honestly I have no idea why it's working but it is. But I also don't go over 1800 calories a day, like it's set as my daily limit in my food tracker app if I got ever it's not by much but the last week I don't believe I've gotten close to it. The only down side is I weigh myself when I wake up and I do it nakie and I'm pretty sure my surgeons office wouldn't like it very much if I tried to strip before I let them weight me.... so here's to hoping taking off my shoes will be enough lol you should message me if you feel like keeping in touch :) good luck keep me posted