Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wonder how much longer will I be DIABETIC.

I've been diabetic for years. I take pills and insulin. My sugars have been good since my procedure 2 weeks ago. I'm afraid that when I start eating next week that it will change. How have your diabetic situation changed?

Before my surgery, I was taking 1000mg of Metformin 2x a day, 35 units of Humalin 2x a day and 25 units of Humalog 3x a day. Immediately after my surgery, my doctor pulled the Metformin and Humalog. I've had to lower my Humalin to 30 a few weeks ago after getting too many lows. The numbers are starting to dip again so I think it will need to be adjusted soon.

Most mornings I wake up with numbers from 70-90. The highest number I've seen has been post-meal at 110. I am very happy with these developments.

I was taking 1000 mg Metformin 3 times per day. They had me stop it the day of surgery and I have not had it since. I was worried about things changing after I began to eat again but it has not happened.

My A1C is at 4.8!

I was taken off Metformin straight after surgery & felt like I was still running high. 6 months later and my A1C is 5.6

I think it just takes a while for the pancreas to adjust.

I was on Lantus 40 pre op plus Humalog with meals. They stopped my humalog after surgery and cut my Lantus down by half because of too many lows. I have been very slowly adjusting it downwards (2 units /day each week) and am at the stage now where I think I am safe to stop it all together. I will watch my sugars closely for a while until I know exactly how each food affects me but I am hoping that I wont be on any insulin after this week.

My A1C was at 7.4 pre-op and I was taking 1000mg of Metformin twice a day. One month post-op my A1C is 6.2 and my Metformin had been cut in half. I am now 17 weeks post op and will have Diabetic check with primary in Sep. I'm hoping I soon will be off meds and my A1C will be lower. My goal for having the surgery is to get off many meds and get healthy!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I stopped my metformin (1000mg 2x day) the day of surgery (vsg) almost two years ago now. My A1C was managed in the low 7's until that point. Had been diabetic for about 12 years.

I've been in remission since. Hope to stay that way :-)

I'm celebrating one year since my surgery today, but unfortunately I still do have to take insulin albeit much lower amounts than I took pre-op. I've written about it before, but I started feeling symptoms of diabetes around 2002/2003 (dry mouth, thirsty all the time, constantly urinating, etc.), but I never went to the doctor until 2006 when I was officially diagnosed.

I too am waiting for that magic time when I won't have to take insulin, but I fear the years of diabetes I had especially that 3-4 years with medicine will mean I'll still be diabetic for life.