Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone gone to Mexico, Tijuana to get the gastric balloon?

Hello!

I am considering the gastric balloon after not being able to go through with the sleeve back in May. Did anyone get theirs done in Tijuana? I need to locate a doctor out there that does the procedure. Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Nancy

I had the mini gastric bypass done in Tijuana just this past Thursday. May i ask why were you not able to get the sleeve done?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using the BariatricPal App

I had the mini gastric bypass done in Tijuana just this past Thursday. May i ask why were you not able to get the sleeve done?

The truth is that I backed out. I was afraid and didn't end up doing it.

What is the mini sleeve?

What is the mini sleeve?
Not the mini sleeve it's called mini gastric bypass.

Balloon was only recently FDA approved in US. Seek out a good dr in US to do this procedure - it is too new - at least here. Has been done in Europe for a while. I think it is inexpensive enough procedure that it wouldn't be cost effective to travel anywhere outside the US to do it.

See my post under, "Weightloss Agents-Beware!".

I just came back from Tijuana after accompanying my daughter for her balloon procedure last week - January 2017. Our procedure was scheduled through Weightloss Agents so I can only speak about my experience with them. Overall, it was horrible. I cannot recommend. The actual clinic where the procedure took place was in a very seedy looking neighborhood. None of the nurses spoke clear English. And the doctor basically forgot to send my daughter home with any written post-op instructions or a prescription. After going home, we tried calling the doctor and couldn't reach anyone there who spoke English. I then contacted Weightloss Agents and was basically told that they couldn't prescribe medication because the doctor was outside the US. Instead, they recommended over-the-counter meds which didn't work. Long story short - my daughter ended up on the ER due to dehydration. She's okay now after being given an IV and a prescription for anti-nausea. But would I do it again? Hell no!!! Although I still like the procedure, I cannot recommend having it through Weightloss Agents or in Tijuana. My advice is to go somewhere local where you have a doctor with whom you can follow-up with in-person and over the phone. Remember - you pay for what you get!

Edited by Cherlyn Robinson

How is your journey with the mgb going?

I looked into the baloon in MX and could not find anyone who did the procedure. Well, I did find one but was warned that they use outdated baloons.

of course going back to MX to have the balloon removed adds to the cost. How did your daughter do Cheralyn? NPR what did you end up doing? If you are afraid of larger more invasive surgeries you can get plication done in MX. Might never end up skinny but it does a very acceptable job for a less invasive procedure. Best thing I ever did for myself.