Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TMI POST- Constipation

Hi All,

I am sorry for this gross post but need some opinions and rather not ask people I know in real life :)

I am 3.5 weeks sleeved and am suffering from Constipation the last few days. Yesterday I went to the bathroom (just a tiny bit) and the rest is just stuck. I really feel like there is this one really hard piece of poop that is stuck there and won't come out. If I could just get passed that one piece everything else will start moving.

I've been drinking a lot Water and yesterday ate sweet potatoes and bananas (still on puréed). I haven't gone to any stool softener yet because 1 I think I only need help with that one piece that's almost out. So not sure that it will help?

2. Scared it will cause stomach cramping or dehydration.

Any suggestions on what can help? My butt really hurts because it's literally trying to come out but can't. :(

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yeah I did the MoM once or twice but had one "event" where had to use an enema. Not pleasant. Since then I have benefiber every day in my Water. every. day. do not want to repeat that ever!

My recommendation is Miralax. Miralax everyday. It is the gentlest, that I have found. The only problem is that it can take 12 to 24 hours to work, for me anyway.

The problem is that the longer you are stopped up, the more you are going to be stopped up and backed up. I would say to use miralax for a week before considering stopping. Though I Am Not a dr.

Good luck. It is no fun being constipated.

Thank you all for replying! Do you guys think the stool softeners will work for a piece that's almost out? I mean literally it was poking out and just wouldn't slide through. Sorry for the graphicness!!

Double check with your doctor, but you'll probably want some milk of magnesia or miralax. Also a softener like Colace. This next part is a little gross but you'll probably also want to get some sterile latex/nitrile gloves in case it's impacted you'll have to manually help it pass. This happened to me middle of my second week home.

For the thing poking out I would go for the enema. Usually it get packed in there at the end and acts like a plug. Once that is out the rest will be easier to get out.

I had the same problem and I used miralax. It worked great except everything I ate for the next 24 hrs went right through me. Once I couldn't even get to the bathroom. I'd rather be constipated. Not pleasant. Better now 8 weeks out and more normal food.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

it is also helpful to have a stool to put your feet up on. helps you get into a better posture for it to pass. I really struggled with constipation/impaction the first 4 months. now that my diet is more varied I only need a stool softener and benefiber to keep things normal. I hope things normalize for you as well.

You can try Le Laci Lu dieters tea (not sure of the spelling) it's all natural & plant based. If you can't handle milk of magnesia I would certainly recommend the tea

You can try Le Laci Lu dieters tea (not sure of the spelling) it's all natural & plant based. If you can't handle milk of magnesia I would certainly recommend the tea

Correction: Laci Le Beau is the correct spelling for the tea

Did any of .you have to take Milk of Magnesia the day before surgery? That is my order, Clear liquids only tomorrow and to take it at 5 pm. I'm so afraid I'll be pooping on the operating table the next day