Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can't live like this!

I need some help. I had gastric bypass just one week ago and it has been the WORST week of my life!! I am so sick, in pain, gassy, emotional, just about every thing negative you can think of has happened to me in this last week. I just got out of the hospital again for severe dehydration, I can't keep ANYTHING but Water down, im nauseated literally all of the time. Im so dizzy and lightheaded that I can't even see past my hand in front of me. I don't know what to do...I don't want to live on IV bags any longer and my doctor doesn't seem to care since I can keep water down. I just really wish I had never done this to myself, but since I can't go back in time, I would really love to hear from other people who have experienced this and any advice on what I can do and how you got through it. Thank you

Summer Gonzalez bypass: 7/26/16

The first few weeks after surgery can be exceptionally rough. It does get better but not overnight. It took me 6 months to reach my Happy State when all the problems seemed to melt away.

Back to basics - The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight. Meeting these three daily requirements should be your main focus. Also try to walk 30 minutes per day or equivalent exercise. Exercise will accelerate your recovery process and ease the pain that you might have experienced after surgery.

Some individuals find it difficult to meet the daily requirements after surgery. This is because your stomach needs time to heal and this can take a couple weeks or more. But just keep trying and you should be able to get there.

Be willing to experiment. After surgery, my taste buds changed dramatically. Even Water changed. In the hospital it tasted excessively chlorinated and I could not drink it. So I experimented. sugar free popsicles became my best friend. Some individuals find hot or cold can help with fluids. For me, I found that I could tolerate flavored water. So I began using Crystal Light. I also found a new drink Bai which I liked cold. In the winter, I found that I tolerate Hot drinks such as piping hot cocoa. But you have to use the "No Sugar Added" variety. Also fine English teas were very good.

That's how I was in the beginning too. I felt pretty horrible for the first two weeks or so, and then it took months after that for me to feel anything resembling normal. Now I'm nearly a year out and down 170 pounds, healthy as can be, and happy! Just remember why you did this in the first place, and hold on to that. It gets so much easier very soon. No one said this process would be easy. ;) But seriously, hang in there. If you need someone to talk to, my inbox is always open. <3

The first few weeks after surgery can be exceptionally rough. It does get better but not overnight. It took me 6 months to reach my Happy State when all the problems seemed to melt away.

Back to basics - The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight. Meeting these three daily requirements should be your main focus. Also try to walk 30 minutes per day or equivalent exercise. Exercise will accelerate your recovery process and ease the pain that you might have experienced after surgery.

Some individuals find it difficult to meet the daily requirements after surgery. This is because your stomach needs time to heal and this can take a couple weeks or more. But just keep trying and you should be able to get there.

Be willing to experiment. After surgery, my taste buds changed dramatically. Even Water changed. In the hospital it tasted excessively chlorinated and I could not drink it. So I experimented. sugar free popsicles became my best friend. Some individuals find hot or cold can help with fluids. For me, I found that I could tolerate flavored water. So I began using Crystal Light. I also found a new drink Bai which I liked cold. In the winter, I found that I tolerate hot drinks such as piping hot cocoa. But you have to use the "No Sugar Added" variety. Also fine English teas were very good.

Great advice.... my first 2 weeks were rough also... I'm on my 3rd week I'm feeling allot better.... sip,sip,sip.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

Just drink your Water... even this first week or two, the Protein isn't as important as the Water. Which Protein drinks are you using? If you can't stand them right now, try another one. Premier Protein is a popular one (the ready to drink variety). Just keep sipping your water though so you don't need those IV bags. If you can keep that down, consider it a victory - for now.

I am only 11.5 weeks out, and I am doing mostly great. I can't eat what others can eat though, and while this is hard for me, I'm finding ways to deal with it, as you need to.

Find the Protein Drink you can handle, get your rest, and try to walk as much as you can... it really does help with recovery. You still have the anesthesia running through your body. This also takes time to go away.

Hang in there! It'll all be OK in a few weeks!

I know you absoulety don't want to hear this but the doctor is right, as long as you can get Water down you will be ok. It will give your tummy more time to heal.

I remember that first week being exactly as you described. I was on clear fluids and not even coming close to Water goals. They did not even start me on Protein that first week. Once I was able to process liquids better then they started me on full liquids for a week.

It will get better. The best thing you can do for yourself is realize the next few weeks are going to be rough but sipping as much clear liquid as you can will help make you feel better. That dizzy nausea weak feeling is because you are dehydrated.

Hopefully your doc gave you something to deal with the nausea. Also gas x tablets or strips helped me with the gassy feeling as well as a heating pad.

This will get better, you are just going to need to take things slowly and sip like crazy.

Thank you all for your replies. As far as the Protein, that's an absolute HECK no!! I have tried premier, Atkins juice Protein, syntax nectar in about 8 flavors, soy protein, nothing. Even the smell makes me vomit. Same things with the Vitamins. Ive tried them crushed, I have chewable AND liquid vitamins and all of them come straight out. My doctor just told me I will have to come in at least once weekly for IV solutions which really makes me sad. I'm nauseated literally 24 hours a day. I can keep down Water but I can't stand this nauseas feeling. To be honest with you guys, I am feeling really upset with myself for ever doing this surgery. I had no health problems and did it only because I wanted to be "skinny". What I wouldn't give right now to go back and give my past self a look into the future...I feel like I sold my soul to the devil for the sake of vanity!!

I need some help. I had gastric bypass just one week ago and it has been the WORST week of my life!! I am so sick, in pain, gassy, emotional, just about every thing negative you can think of has happened to me in this last week. I just got out of the hospital again for severe dehydration, I can't keep ANYTHING but Water down, im nauseated literally all of the time. Im so dizzy and lightheaded that I can't even see past my hand in front of me. I don't know what to do...I don't want to live on IV bags any longer and my doctor doesn't seem to care since I can keep Water down. I just really wish I had never done this to myself, but since I can't go back in time, I would really love to hear from other people who have experienced this and any advice on what I can do and how you got through it. Thank you

The first two weeks are the hardest!! I was able to appreciate my surgery when I started feeling better and losing weight. Know that the pain will go away! Give yourself a good month to heal. Don't be discouraged! We've all been there, thinking the same thing!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I need some help. I had gastric bypass just one week ago and it has been the WORST week of my life!! I am so sick, in pain, gassy, emotional, just about every thing negative you can think of has happened to me in this last week. I just got out of the hospital again for severe dehydration, I can't keep ANYTHING but Water down, im nauseated literally all of the time. Im so dizzy and lightheaded that I can't even see past my hand in front of me. I don't know what to do...I don't want to live on IV bags any longer and my doctor doesn't seem to care since I can keep Water down. I just really wish I had never done this to myself, but since I can't go back in time, I would really love to hear from other people who have experienced this and any advice on what I can do and how you got through it. Thank you

The first two weeks are the hardest!! I was able to appreciate my surgery when I started feeling better and losing weight. Know that the pain will go away! Give yourself a good month to heal. Don't be discouraged! We've all been there, thinking the same thing!

Thanks so much. I really need to see the light at the end of the tunnel

Thanks so much. I really need to see the light at the end of the tunnel

I had my bypass 4/18/16, and I lost 70 pounds by 6/18/16.. You will get through it and you will look and feel fabulous!!!

I feel your pain. I am almost 3 weeks out and finally at the stage where I only have nausea for the first half of the day ( unless my stomach is protesting something .. usually a protein).

I spent the first week in hospital vomiting constantly and on an IV but slowly I was able to tolerate apple juice half and half with Water ( I am a type 1 diabetic and had to keep something sweet down to keep my sugars even). By the time I came home I was able to tolerate broth and the occasional milk drink. When my doc told me on discharge I could have free fluids I went to the coffee shop and bought a low fat Decaf latte but it didn't sit too well with me.

I still find the best fluids when I am nauseous is Water with a little fruit juice in or broth. If I am feeling okay I can manage milk but not Protein drinks of any sort. I am lucky, here in Australia they started selling a high Protein low fat low lactose milk which has more protein per 100 ml than the Protein Drinks. My dietician said pre surgery that the milk was fine to have as a substitute if I couldnt tolerate Protein Drinks.< /p>

Now I have milk twice a day with some Vitamin fortified choc flavour in it which works well for me if I can take it. It really is one day, one meal at a time still but each day gets a bit better.

I can really relate to how you feel because I was feeling the same one week out from surgery. just keep trying different things and if it fails go back to something you know works. Here's hoping you have a better time soon

It's hard to believe but it'll pass. Honest. Are you taking pain medication? That can make some people nauseous. Don't even think of Protein drinks (blech) until your stomach settles down.

Don't focus on, "I wish I never did this". You did. Coming to this forum was an excellent decision!!

It is really tough the first couple of months. At this point, you're doing all you can to keep Water down. Have you tried sugar free popcycles? These are DELICIOUS!!!!

strawberry-tangerine-raspberry-package.j

Keep checking in and let us know how you're doing. Hugs :)

It's hard to believe but it'll pass. Honest. Are you taking pain medication? That can make some people nauseous. Don't even think of Protein drinks (blech) until your stomach settles down.

Don't focus on, "I wish I never did this". You did. Coming to this forum was an excellent decision!!

It is really tough the first couple of months. At this point, you're doing all you can to keep Water down. Have you tried sugar free popcycles? These are DELICIOUS!!!!

In case you might want to know: Those aren't sugar free Popsicles.....no sugar added is very different than sugar free. Sugar free Popsicles have no carbs. The ones you show in the photo are made with fruit and fruit juice, so they have all the naturally occurring sugars and carbs; they just don't have any ADDITIONAL regular sugar added.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

In case you might want to know: Those aren't sugar free Popsicles.....no sugar added is very different than sugar free. Sugar free Popsicles have no carbs. The ones you show in the photo are made with fruit and fruit juice, so they have all the naturally occurring sugars and carbs; they just don't have any ADDITIONAL regular sugar added.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Great tip. I guess it's better to read the labels.