Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How does age affect success and weight loss rate

Scheduled for my sleeve next week. Overall I'm healthy and mobile. I'm busy but not that active anymore. I can walk, do a short aerobic video,, but no zumba or the like. I like the bike, but not do a spin class. I'm recently purchased Tai Chi (Thanks to Regis' sales talk).

So due to this slow paced exercise I hope to be motivated to do, does age affect those of us in our 60s?

I've been on/off every diet under the sun and typically have no trouble losing quickly when I stick with it, its maintaining of course I can't manage.

Its been a while now, I hope I have the weight loss rate many have here. I know, I know, don't preach, I can't compare myself to others. But I'm looking to hear for those late 50s+ is it really a very slow pace for us to see the pounds come off?

Is there anything that we have to do to have a successful surgery.

Hate to chime in, I was 52, and I freakin rocked it. Got in the best shape I could at my size, and I have been really digging the 80+ pounds lost. The pre-op diet is to shrink your liver so the surgeon can go in from the side and cut your stomach. It he/she can get a straight shot they will get you done quickly reducing recovery time. This sleave thing is a tool. You can do it. Pre-op is only for a couple of weeks depending on how fatty the liver is. Then get walking and figure out what Protein works for you. Not sure Tai Chi is a great idea for the first month because IMHO it puts too much stress on the core, but please feel free to ask the surgery team. (NOTE this is a personal opinion based on my experience with Tai Chi, don't know what the Regis version is). The reason they don't want you too lift too much for the first month is for the staple line to fully heal. Hope that makes sense.

Age is just a number, and there are many here who were older than I was when they had their surgery and they freakin rocked it too.

Age may slow the process for some "grown-ups," but you'll see that so many lose weight at a fast rate. No matter, you will lose weight at a surprising rate barring very unusual circumstances.

A better question to yourself might be "What do I want from surgery?" If it is to lose weight and have a better chance at maintaining the weight loss than you've had in the past, you'll be way ahead of the game. It's too easy, given expected stalls and the possibility of behaving as a mere mortal, to be unthrilled if you include specific numbers in your goal. Follow the guidelines given to you by your surgery practice and you'll be in good shape.

That maintenance is not a given bears mention. The sleeve will greatly minimize your capacity to overeat, which, in turn, helps maintenance. Maintaining, however, requires wise choices forever after. Too many people go in expecting no-effort maintenance because they know only what they want to know or believe; this, regardless of what they've been told and read along the way.

Best wishes.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Hi I'm 56 years old and my surgery was just this past May 16th so I'm less than 3 months post op. I feel like I've done really well so far. I've lost a little over 56 pounds (this includes the weight I lost during my 2 week pre-op diet) and am now officially more than half way to my goal weight!

You'll do great! This is the best thing I've ever done for myself!

Hiya, I'm a few weeks away from my sixtieth-holy crap.............I only had my fiftieth a short while ago! WTF happens to time?

I was sleeved Oct '15 and am three quarters of my way to my ultimate goal. I feel WONDERFUL. Healthy, happy, full of energy and definitely not about to enter my seventh decade.

I walk five miles every morning with the dogs and it's a breeze. Not a puff, pant, nor wheeze. Yes, some of my bits still ache but that's due to being a ballet dancer and putting parts of my anatomy in positions that neither God or the Karma Sutra intended them to be put in. They ache a helluva lot less now that I have lost the toddlers who insisted on clinging onto my frame!

@@jintycb LOL Funny stuff! :D

I think she was referring to Tai Cheng that was an infomercial w/Regis and a few others. Its really a great program. It is exercise and then Tai Chi. I've done Tai Chi off and on for a few years and the way this is presented is easy for beginners to learn as well as experienced people. My balance has improved a lot since I started doing it. I had 2 hip resurfacings and this program really helps me. I know the exercise is not for the 1st mo after the sleeve but her Dr should be her guide.

Some of the exercises I can't do so I just skip them and do what I can. I can Highly Recommend Tai Cheng by Beach Body.

Scheduled for my sleeve next week. Overall I'm healthy and mobile. I'm busy but not that active anymore. I can walk, do a short aerobic video,, but no zumba or the like. I like the bike, but not do a spin class. I'm recently purchased Tai Chi (Thanks to Regis' sales talk).

So due to this slow paced exercise I hope to be motivated to do, does age affect those of us in our 60s?

I've been on/off every diet under the sun and typically have no trouble losing quickly when I stick with it, its maintaining of course I can't manage.

Its been a while now, I hope I have the weight loss rate many have here. I know, I know, don't preach, I can't compare myself to others. But I'm looking to hear for those late 50s+ is it really a very slow pace for us to see the pounds come off?

Is there anything that we have to do to have a successful surgery.

Thanks for the input all. Oh yes, its Tai Cheng, lol It going to take a while to learn all those moves.

I love walking, but live in South Florida and most months it is either too hot or too mosquito infested. I'm in Toronto this week for work, I was looking forward to it being cool. Wrong, its blazing hot here too. So I have been doing the Tai Cheng DVR, and treadmill and a few short aerobic videos. I'm kind of looking forward to going home Thursday night.

My pre-op surgery appointment is Friday morning with my surgeon and then the anesthesia department. I haven't weighed myself in three weeks. I'm kind of looking foward to it and updating my weight in my profile. :)

My pre op diet the first week was two clean meals (no carbs) and one shake. Tomorrow my second week, I start ALL liquids for a week. I have no issues with Protein shakes, although really only care for the chocolate ones, but I've ordered many different kinds. I'm also having my gallbladder removed at the same time. I've always been diagnosed with a fatty liver, so lets hope it has shrunk a little.

Of course I want to lose weight, more importantly I want to stop gaining also. As I mentioned so far my health is in check, but I swear another 10 or 20 pounds gained and I know for sure, I'll be running into all kinds of health issues. I'm sure I can do this, I'm pretty motivated.

When I told my best friend she was very supportive, but I was floored when she confided to me that she had the sleeve done about 20 years ago and would like to see about the next step since she said she only lost 35 pounds (and of course regained all of that and then some). I've know her the past sixteen years and we've dieted together on and off all that time.

your comments are encouraging.

Trekker954

I can relate to the hot weather since I lived in FL for 25 yrs before moving to AZ 4 yrs ago. The best advice I can give is after surgery and down the road a few months don't give in to your old way of eating no matter what. You can start gaining the weight back as your friend did. I only lost 25 give or take lbs since surgery and only way I can loose is to be really stringent on my eating. All my tests are normal and I feel good but wish I would of stayed on stricter eating.

Tai Chi is a great exercise especially for "older" folks and keep it up.

Good luck w/your surgery. You'll do great as long as you follow what your Dr says.

I'm 62 and just had my 8/8/16. Just saw my surgeon today and everything is just fine. I've lost 43 pds since starting journey first of May.

The big shocker to me today was he told me when he got back the pathologhy report, it seem I had a cancerous tumor that was self contain in the stomach part they took out. He then stated had I not had the surgery I would have never know about this until too late. I truly feel blessed for this surgery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using the BariatricPal App

I'm 62 and just had my 8/8/16. Just saw my surgeon today and everything is just fine. I've lost 43 pds since starting journey first of May.

The big shocker to me today was he told me when he got back the pathologhy report, it seem I had a cancerous tumor that was self contain in the stomach part they took out. He then stated had I not had the surgery I would have never know about this until too late. I truly feel blessed for this surgery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using the BariatricPal App

Oh my - scary! Thank God you had the surgery!

I'm 65 and just had my nine month surgiversary. I've lost 98 pounds, all my bloodwork was normal. I exercise at the Y twice a week and can eat anything with no problem. I avoid bread and Pasta most of the time but don't feel like I'm on a diet. I just have a new way of eating and eat so much less. I'm very happy and healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to my surgeon age is a factor. She calculated that I should expect to loose 40 pounds in the first year and 60-80 total by the end of the second year. I intend to prove her wronged.

According to my surgeon age is a factor. She calculated that I should expect to loose 40 pounds in the first year and 60-80 total by the end of the second year. I intend to prove her wronged.

I bet that you will! With 160 pounds to lose I am down 112 within the first year. At 65 I thrilled and haven't had any negatives. Well, loose skin, but that was inevitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk