Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello MN? My doc just sent a referral for RYGB to Abbott!

My gastroenterologist just sent a referral to Abbott for the RYGB procedure, that's a great 1st step right!? I am waiting to hear from the bariatric department now and what the next steps will be...

I had my RNY at Abbott. Loved my surgeon, love my results, hated Abbott. HATED Abbott. Nursing staff sucks, they put you in a general ward with all elderly patients - very small dingy rooms. Now, I was there for one sleep, so you can do anything for 24 hours but still...I wish I could have gone to Waconia. BCBS MN wouldn't cover at the same rate there.

@TAJ718@Amylou,

I hate to say this but I had surgery at Abbott northwestern myself (not for RNY) but back surgery there. I loved my surgeon. I literally hated Abbott northwestern. I am a very very easy patient, I was treated like absolute crap by my nurse. I literally cried all night long in pain and he refused to call my surgeon and get a different solution for me.

I have never ever had a nurse treat me so poorly in my life. Nurses just generally are not like that. He also treated the person in my same room like crap.

I ended up reporting it the next day and received an apology and a whole bunch of excuses about how short staffed they were.

I will never ever go to that hospital again.

Now, if you were asking me about the university of Minnesota hospital. I had a 3 level cervical fusion there last June. They are the best hospital I have ever stayed in. I was there 2 nights and had the best care. Nurses and nursing assistants alike. I had several muscle spasms in the shoulders following that surgery and the muscle relaxer they had prescribed wasn't touching it at all. I had a fabulous male nurse who without my asking paged my surgeon and got approval to use a different drug. He made sure when they sent me home (which I had to fly home), that I had my prescriptions and a good plan for home care.

Never have I had nursing care like there.

It is a great first step, just wondering if you should check out Methodist an the park Nicollet Bariatric center which is phenomenal. That is where I had mine and they again had a whole wing for Bariatric patients. I had a private room that was set up like a suite. Wonderful care there as well.

Although if you can get in at any of the ones listed, it would be good. My advice is to stay away from Abbott.

Wow... thank you. Both Abbott and Unity are my "In-Network" Clinics/hospitals.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Sorry for the late response, I'm just learning how to do this and I must have the notifications turned off?!

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

So excited for you to start the journey. I had my surgery at Fairview Southdale but I also go to support group at U of M. I have been really impressed with both programs. I can't say anything about Abbott. If you have another option, perhaps it might be good to look into it. Make sure that wherever you go it is a Center of Excellence. I think Unity is.

What part of MN are you from?

pam

@@mngreeneyes I am out by Albertville. I will ask when I meet with the surgeon. I think she works both hospitals, I am meeting with Dr. July. I wish I could make the next month or two go a little faster!!

I was where you are a year ago. It will both drag and fly by at the same time. I had less than 2 weeks from the day we scheduled my surgery to surgery day. I'm a planner and had many things all set by the time we set the date so I was completely ready when surgery day actually came. BUt let me tell you, those two weeks FLEW!

Keep me posted on how you are doing and if I can answer any questions.

pam

I had mine at St. Joseph's on last Wednesday. Everyone was awesome. The rooms look a little older but everyone treated me really well.

I am going through the park Nicollet bariatric program. And then surgery is at Methodist. It has been amazing so far.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am having my surgery at Abbott on 2/1. I wanted to be at Mercy but they are not certified as a center of excellence or whatever yet.

@[mention=258712]mngreeneyes[/mention] I am out by Albertville. I will ask when I meet with the surgeon. I think she works both hospitals, I am meeting with Dr. July. I wish I could make the next month or two go a little faster!!

I’m in otsego! Dr. July is amazing!

I was sleeved 1/24/18 by Dr. July at Abbott!

Edited by AmyCassidy

My surgery was 2/1 with Dr. July and I'm doing great!