Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fitting on roller coasters at amusement parks?

I have so much anxiety going to amusement parks anymore, to the point where I don't even have a good time.

I have never actually not been able to ride, however even when I was 250lbs at 5'4 I had to sit on the "big people" chairs on the steel coasters at Dorney and Hersheypark. I remember at that weight when I went, they actually had me move to a bigger seat once, and I had to have help getting strapped in on a few of them. Could you imagine my embarrassment? My trouble seemed to be on any ride that required the over the shoulder harness (the ones they give you on the fun steel coasters that loop upside down, where your feet hang). I never had trouble on any sit down rides or wooden coasters. When I was my heaviest, 298lbs last summer, I didn't even bother trying the steel coasters because I knew that if I had so much trouble at 250, I'd never get in at 298.

I am going to Hersheypark at the end of august and I am currently 203lbs - hopefully by the time I go I am about ten pounds lighter, and wont have any issues. I'd assume that 195lbs should be able to ride all the rides? But does anyone have any experience? I don't honestly remember what weight I was the last time I went and felt comfortable knowing I'd fit without getting thrown off for being too big.

I went to Disney and Universal at 190 lbs. No problem at all. The Universal rides are less forgiving than the Disney rides and I had a blast there, no issues at all fitting in the rides. I'm 5'5

I have so much anxiety going to amusement parks anymore, to the point where I don't even have a good time.

I have never actually not been able to ride, however even when I was 250lbs at 5'4 I had to sit on the "big people" chairs on the steel coasters at Dorney and Hersheypark. I remember at that weight when I went, they actually had me move to a bigger seat once, and I had to have help getting strapped in on a few of them. Could you imagine my embarrassment? My trouble seemed to be on any ride that required the over the shoulder harness (the ones they give you on the fun steel coasters that loop upside down, where your feet hang). I never had trouble on any sit down rides or wooden coasters. When I was my heaviest, 298lbs last summer, I didn't even bother trying the steel coasters because I knew that if I had so much trouble at 250, I'd never get in at 298.

I am going to Hersheypark at the end of august and I am currently 203lbs - hopefully by the time I go I am about ten pounds lighter, and wont have any issues. I'd assume that 195lbs should be able to ride all the rides? But does anyone have any experience? I don't honestly remember what weight I was the last time I went and felt comfortable knowing I'd fit without getting thrown off for being too big.

My girlfriend works for a court reporting agency where a lot of cases have gone thru in regards to amusement park injuries/lawsuits etc. while most of them are frivolous, there has been one that has always stuck with me. There was an overweight woman that fell out of a moving coaster at an amusement park in California and fell to her death. The woman weighed over 300 lbs. From expert testimony it appears that when you're overweight, while the restraints will close, and it appears all is well, your body conforms to the restraints and that's not safe because once the ride is in motion, your weight shifts around and could potentially cause the restrains to unfasten. Scary stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I just came back from Disney and had zero issues - although most rides there are very Pooh friendly. We were at Six Flags at spring break and had no issues there, either. I am 5'6" and 215 now.

I used to have such anxiety about it and would avoid certain rides. It was so nice to not even give my size a thought!!

ETA: Have a blast!!!!!

Edited by DaisyAmy

I went to Disney and Universal at 190 lbs. No problem at all. The Universal rides are less forgiving than the Disney rides and I had a blast there, no issues at all fitting in the rides. I'm 5'5

And I have also gone to amusement parks at a little over 220lbs (I'm 5'4") and been fine to ride several different types of rides.

Have fun! I think while it's easy for your body to change size, your brain has a hard time adjusting to that.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Last summer I went to an amusement park. I am not sure what my exact weight was at the time, but I know that I was probably close to 300lbs. Most rides I did not try to go on because I knew that I was going to be able to fit. I think there was at least one that or maybe two that the restraints did not fit properly and I just got off the ride. On the few I could get on it was very painful. I now weigh less than 200lbs. If the next time I go I still can't fit I will be none too pleased! lol I am sure that will not be the case.

I think you will be just fine in my humble non-medical or scientific opinion. I hope you enjoy yourself.

Hi, I'm 265lbs, I love in Orlando and have annual passes for Universal, but I know how you feel. I went a month back and could barely fit in the seat at Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts at 250lbs. They pushed the lap bar down so hard that my legs hurt and went numb (most my weight is in my thighs). I felt so embarrassed. Now I don't even bother going on that ride. I went on the Rip Ride Rocket roller-coaster and the lap bar closed but not the way everyone else's did. I didn't enjoy the ride because I was afraid I was gonna fall out of the seat at every loop.

It is truly a terrible feeling when you can't enjoy life because of your size.

I can't wait until start to lose some weight and can enjoy life again. If your 225 or less it shouldn't be an issue to get on the rides.

Sent from my SM-N900T using the BariatricPal App

Edited by RedCheeks

So I went to cedar point last year and I was about 235, I'm 5 "4". So they have a tester seat before you get in line. I can get on most of the rides except if they have a lap belt because these hips and butt don't lie. I was turned away from one ride. My kids were like happened?? So I said I'm too fat. The last time I was in the 200's and could get on all the rides comfortably I was probably between 202-210. Some of those lap belts were the difference between 1-2 inches. I dodged going to the park in years before and we usually would go every year. So last year we had been long overdue. We're going again before the kids go back to school (like end of August) and I'm hoping to be in the low 2 teens (wishful thinking) but It would be such a NSV for me!!!!