Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Major depression and getting approved

I am being treated for major depression and it is mostly under control with my medication but I am worried that psych won't approve me because there is the chance that the surgery will bring on a depressive episode. Any advice on how I handle this line of questioning? I'm really good at managing my depression, I know when it is within acceptable limits and I can identify when it's not and when I need help. I have been in therapy for years for it. So any advice?

I think you should be ok. According to the paperwork I got from my surgeon's office, they are checking for things like un-treated depression and excessive risk-taking behaviors. I was diagnosed with dysthymia (long-term chronic depression) and I asked my surgeon if it would be an issue, and he said no, as long as it was being controlled and I was not suicidal. (no worries there, I would like to live, that's why I'm having the surgery)

Why even tell them? The psychologist just needs plausible deniability. They aren't looking for reasons to reject you, but if you give them a reason they have to act on it. Depression may not be something that gets you rejected, but if you're worried about it, why even bring it up? If they have access to your current medications, you just say, yeah I've been on that antidepressant for awhile, I've had no issues...and the conversation is over.

The psychiatrist screening you does not remotely care about you or your history- their job is to weed out people who might have major issues. If you don't give them a reason to look at you too much, the visit is a very standard thing. You have a little chat, they sign off on the paperwork, and you're done.

Honesty is usually the best policy...but sometimes it's not. Use your own discretion, but why give them a reason to deny you if you don't have to?

As long as you are actively being treated and you are in a good routine, you should be good. They are assessing if you comprehend the risks, changes and can be compliant with the life long routines. If you are out of control and meds aren't helping, then you might not get approval if you are using your treating doctor.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

Why even tell them? The psychologist just needs plausible deniability. They aren't looking for reasons to reject you, but if you give them a reason they have to act on it. Depression may not be something that gets you rejected, but if you're worried about it, why even bring it up? If they have access to your current medications, you just say, yeah I've been on that antidepressant for awhile, I've had no issues...and the conversation is over.

The psychiatrist screening you does not remotely care about you or your history- their job is to weed out people who might have major issues. If you don't give them a reason to look at you too much, the visit is a very standard thing. You have a little chat, they sign off on the paperwork, and you're done.

Honesty is usually the best policy...but sometimes it's not. Use your own discretion, but why give them a reason to deny you if you don't have to?

Bad advice...They are experienced in detecting deception. I was open and honest about being treated, with success, for years. I let him know I have a very regular and close relationship with my providers and follow their treatment plan. He said he was comfortable because I was being treated and knew to seek help if the depression worsened.

The psych forms I was asked to complete asked for history of medications. Since the psychiatrist will be in contact with the weight loss team, I wouldn't take that risk.

So many of use that struggle with weight also have depression so it isn't anything new to the psychiatrist. I told him that I believe weight loss might help and he agreed.

I asked him when & why he has denied someone. He told me only once has he denied someone and it was because they admitted to him suicidal thoughts, seeing bugs on the wall and not getting treated.

I hope this helps!

I am being treated for major depression and it is mostly under control with my medication but I am worried that psych won't approve me because there is the chance that the surgery will bring on a depressive episode. Any advice on how I handle this line of questioning? I'm really good at managing my depression, I know when it is within acceptable limits and I can identify when it's not and when I need help. I have been in therapy for years for it. So any advice?

You need to answer questions honestly! This is for your benefit. It's unlikely you would be denied - and if they feel you could use some counseling prior to surgery - it will only help you postop. Good luck!

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

I have depression and bipolar disorder. I've been approved. I see my therapist every week and my dr every month. Both are ok with me doing this and willing to write a letter of recommendation on my behalf if needed. Please be honest about your health conditions. It will only help to make you more successful.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using the BariatricPal App

Start with getting rid of the people or the thing that is bringing on the depression! Go outdoors and smell flowers breathe in the fresh air. Sit in a chair outside and watch nature( birds fly, bees) do things differently :) I'm sure there is no need to stress over it

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App