Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seriously considering making the change

I was banded 9 years ago, and lost 60 kgs. I have recently started gaining weight about 14kgs, feeling hungry all the time, being able to eat lots to not much, some reflux and weirdly a few times woke up like choking on what must be stomach acid.

I have had a barrym swallow which showed an over tight band and my esoghegous was slightly dilated.

I have a meeting with my surgeon Friday and I am thinking I will just bite the bullet and get my band revised to a sleeve.

Any advice??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The hunger feeling that you are having could be from too much acid.. ask your doctor for a PPI.

As for the weight gain, if your band is too tight as your barrium swallow shows, it might be a good idea to get a large unfill, let it rest for 2 weeks then go back for a refill...

I found that when my band was playing up an unfill would do the trick...

But if you were in the red zone you wouldn't be able to eat much food.. unless you are eating soft slider foods.

Because you were banded and lost a significant amount of weight be aware that weight loss is much slower when you get revised for a 2nd surgery... for 14kg i would suggest the unfill and refill technique and try going back to basics.

What are you currently eating? How many calories do you consume? Are you exercising? Are you tracking your food?

Sounds like your band is sitting in a strange position... if it was too tight, there is no way you could finish a whole wrap...

Sometimes when its in an odd place, you can eat but you slime alot..

I would do the unfill and refill.. it will let everything fall back into place and reduce any irritation from the band.

I revised from band hell on June 6 th it was the best decision ! I feel like a new person I can even eat grilled chicken now without a gallon of sauce feels so much better than the band ever did! Never feel stuck or slime Wahoooo !

I had my first band in 2008 went from 130kgs to 88, i was happy with that, working out heaps I looked fit and was. Then things started to go bad, reflux, acid in mouth, sleeping on 3 pillows, excessive vomiting and not eating extra food. I had band revision to another band 2014. So they moved it down a bit and took the pressure off my oesophagus. I had Barrets oesophagus and gastritis, all from the band! By this time i am stacking on the weight and ended back up at 120kgs. I was very unhappy. But still trying to work with the band to acheive weightloss, but seriously spitting into the wind! Then after carrying what I thought was a bad back after a fall for 18mths I was diagnosed with bone on bone hip and in need of a replacement! I am too young at 54 for this and my weight put me into a higher risk category as well. I now walk with a stick. My surgeon (he is a very good one that I reasearched and want to go with) told me that I have to be under 100kgs before he will operated, that others would do it, but that it is not the right thing. So then I bit the bullet and back to bariatric surgeon for revision to sleeve. I had the band taken out on 20th August 2016 and sleeved in the same op. I am well trained i managing food limitations because of the band, but I get your nervousness, it is a bigger operation than the band with the permanency. I sit her now, 5 days post op, another day of liquids. ..no big deal, been through this before, my biggest worry is that will it work. After all of the complications with the band and limited food etc, why should the sleeve work any better? I know I am raising these concerns at the wrong end of my op, I was desperate, I really need the hip fixed as my priority. I would love to hear success stories of revisons please, thank you.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using the BariatricPal App