Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low carb versus I don't count carbs?

I get the Protein part just wonder what you do with your carbs. Do you factor them and how much or maybe not at all. How it's working for you.

Thank you!

Edited by sleever54

The three most important requirements after weight loss surgery is to meet your Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary, because your body is converting stored fats into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight. Weight reduction is achieved by meal volume control.

So when it comes to meals Protein is first. Some carbs are O.K. such as found in fruits but stay away from processed sugars in all its many forms. But be on the lean side of carbs because it might drive hunger.

programs really vary on this. Some are ultra low-carb and others are more moderately low-carb - and some don't have you counting carbs at all. The ultra low carb programs want you to keep carbs below a certain number (like 40 or 50). Some people choose to go ultra low carb even if their program doesn't require it because they're very carb sensitive and/or they find they lose weight quicker that way. My program doesn't have us counting carbs - they just say to avoid simple carbs and limit complex carbs (other than non-starchy vegetables - those are fine). Because of the Protein requirements and Portion Control, it's rare that I go over 100 carbs a day - and i'm usually under 80 (I don't count them - but my logging software calculates them, so I know)

I get the Protein part just wonder what you do with your carbs. Do you factor them and how much or maybe not at all. How it's working for you.

Thank you!

This completely depends on where you are at in your journey. At 3.5 years out, I track carbs along with Protein and fat to ensure that I stay within a caloric range and to maintain a certain body composition. Freshly post op, I mostly tracked protein as there wasn't room for much else.

@@sleever54

I keep my carbs low because I have always liked eating low carb and most of the carby things that people like (Pasta, popcorn, crackers,chips,rice), I do not like at all. So it is easy for me to cut them out since I never really ate them.

If you follow your plan, you end up being low carb by default. I am always amazed how people get so many carbs in. I have to eat my veggies as "snacks" to get them in because if I eat my Protein I am full. 3-4 ounces of dense Protein fills me up and there is no room for anything else.

I think keeping your carbs low matter just because it makes sure you aren't eating junk, and by junk I mean things with little nutiritional value and things that don't meet your dietary needs. The main dietary needs post-op are protein and Vitamins and that means meat and green veggies. The carbs in veggies are Fiber for the most part and don't count.

The only way you are eating high carb post op is if you choose to do so on purpose.

I follow a high Protein, lower carb diet. It is very well balance and has been since I came home from the hospital. The carbs I do eat are focused on vegetables and fruits primarily and now that I am in maintenance i also have some whole grains in my diet.

My nut does not believe in eating your Protein first but taught me to have 2 bites of protein for every one bite of fruits and vegetables.

So far it is working for me.

my program stresses eating Protein first, then veg... no room for anything else, so i don't bother cutting carbs.