Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Asking Dr for more pain meds?

My dr gave me liquid hycet for recovery and I will be 4 days out tomorrow. Im still in so much pain that I'm taking it every 4 hours and waking up through the night to take it because the pain is so bad I can't sleep. Is this normal? I remember when I had my band placed I asked for additional meds, I see a different surgeon now and don't want to look like a druggie. I was told in the hospital that if I was still in pain to take liquid Tylenol. I would but the narcotics barely even help so I'm sure the Tylenol alone won't help. Ugh. This stinks! Post op pain sucks, I wish it would go away

I guess everyone is different because I only needed pain meds for 3 days after surgery. But if you need them, you need them.

I never took the prescribed pain meds once I got home from the hospital....I only took Tylenol. The other poster is right make sure you are up and around as much as possible.....Also get an abdominal binder as it will help with the pain. A heating pad will also help. The sooner you can get off the strong pain med the better you'll be....but on the other hand if you can't relieve the pain enough so that you can move, you probably need more. So you may need to call your doctor to have him prescribe more. Everyone deals with pain differently and your goal should be to relieve it enough so you can stay as active as possible but not so much that you're sleeping too much.

I highly recommend the abdominal binder it was probably the best thing I had post surgery that helped control the pain. I hope you start to feel better very soon. Hang in there!!!

Thank you! Yes my biggest dilemma is getting up and moving.

I'm trying my best but I truely am in excruciating pain. I'm actually about to walk my little one around the apartment building I live in but getting up and down is so painful, I dread it. I just want to be comfortable rather than have stabbing pains

I'm trying my best but I truely am in excruciating pain. I'm actually about to walk my little one around the apartment building I live in but getting up and down is so painful, I dread it. I just want to be comfortable rather than have stabbing pains

Do you have the abdominal binder I suggested?......I promise it really helps especially when getting up and down. If you don't have one I got mine at Babies R Us....you can also get them at some pharmacies. .....they most often give them to women after a C-Section.....If you don't have one it is worth a trip to get one!

Have you talked to your surgeon about the pain? Don't assume it's normal - call and make sure. Blood clots are a concern - especially if you're not moving much.

I am moving it just is hard and hurts very much. I'm also on Lovenox 2x a day. I am going to try to make a trip or have my BF make a trip for an abdominal binder.

I would also call you surgeon about that pain, I don't think it's normal. I had my band to sleeve revision last Monday and stopped my pain meds wed. I only take one Tylenol at night to help me sleep(I'm a side sleeper and the port incision hurts when I'm on my side). But on my discharge instructions it says on the front in bold letters under the when to call us section "very bad pain not relieved by your pain medicine "

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

Moving will help a lot with the pain. I was on hydromorphone for a week and a half, taking it about every 4 hours when I was awake.

I called and was told just to move around more and that I won't be given more pain meds. What I'm having a hard time with is, how am I supposed to move in excruciating pain? It's hard enough to move with the pain meds and I'm doing The best I can. Now I will have to do it without them. I'm scared. Because I know it's going to hurt more. This surgery is no joke. I have been having to take the meds Q4H because even lasting that long is painful

I called and was told just to move around more and that I won't be given more pain meds. What I'm having a hard time with is, how am I supposed to move in excruciating pain? It's hard enough to move with the pain meds and I'm doing The best I can. Now I will have to do it without them. I'm scared. Because I know it's going to hurt more. This surgery is no joke. I have been having to take the meds Q4H because even lasting that long is painful

I'm sorry you didn't get the answer you wanted......have someone make a special trip for you to get you an abdominal binder...they will need your abdominal measurement in order to get one the right size......I promise it will make a big difference....until you get it....do you have any Spanx or anything like that?....anything that will provide you with support around your abdominal area will help...

Try not to worry it does get better each day.

I'm really sorry to here that....I had really terrible pain and was readmitted to the hospital but no complications just a lot of pain. 4 days out I definitely still needed narcotic pain killers. I actually had my PCP perscribe it for me because me surgeon would not. My surgeon was really bad at pain management. I only needed one script for lortab and then by the 7th day I was good to go and no more pain meds. I hope you get some relief you should not have to be in that much pain that early out.