Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I need a warm body with me?

Are you supposed to bring someone with you to the hospital even though it is an overnight stay?

No one has filled me in on this part yet.

I'm hoping my son can just drop me off and pick me up the next day. Is this reasonable?

(No husband. Dumped that 190 lbs about 15 years ago.)

Feels like a silly question, but I've never been hospitalized overnight except for a C-section 27 years ago and that involved half the flippin neighborhood, my mother and half the church congregation.

Ask your doctor.

I think my doctor wanted someone present in case anything happened during surgery or to give specific instructions for the rest of the day (you'll be pretty woozy for a while after coming out of anesthesia), and I believe that's standard protocol, but without confirming, you won't know what your specific doctor requires.

Edited by FrankiesGirl

No. It's not necessary. My parents stayed with me until I was settled in my room, which was about 5 hours. They came back when I was discharged the next day. Just make sure you push yourself to WALK, WALK, WALK...Good Luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I would assume they would want someone there until the surgery was over, but ask your surgeon's office!

I wasn't required to have anyone on site.

I also wasn't required to have anyone. I really didn't want anyone either! I am 7 days postop and the first 2 days in the hospital were painful. When I'm in pain, I don't want anyone around.

Sent from my SM-J320F using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Nikkipit

@@Unbridled You do not need someone to stay. At check in they will ask you who if anyone is with you or a phone number of someone you want the surgeon to call once you are in recovery. It's good to have someone hear how things went from the surgeon (because you won't remember much of what he or she says). I waited until my SO was done (eye surgery) and they brought me back to recovery to be with him once he woke up. I dropped my sister off and the surgeon called twice - first time to say surgery delayed so I wouldn't be worried and again after surgery to tell me she was ok and how it went. No one needs to stay overnight.

My dad drove me to the hospital and waited with me until they called me in for prep. He took off afterwards and came to visit once I had been out of surgery for a few hours.

Not necessary at all. I had someone drop me off. And another pick me up two days later. I just made sure they had the contact info for an emergency contact just in case (They'll ask for that). When you check in they will ask if anyone is with you and if you want them to call anyone once the surgery is over.

Someone will drive me and I want them to leave. I'm the type I hate to interfere with their day. I'll have a book and my cell to entertain me. My adult daughter can come back after work and check in with me, maybe help me take a lap around the floor. Then come back for me when I'm ready to come home. I've decided how ever long the hospital will let me stay will be good as I have two big dogs at home who love me to pieces and I'm so afraid they'll jump on me while sitting and hurt me. Bcbs covers 5 days. I'd be good with 3 days.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

My husband took me to the hospital. I sent him to work after they took me back to the OR. They just asked for his telephone number.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

Edited by LadyK44

Thank you all for your input. I'm relieved to hear no one has to stay with me.

I will have my 27 year old son take me and then pick me up when I'm ready to go.

@trekker954 2 big dogs? And here I was worried about my 7lb cat wanting to sit on my chest as she does nightly.

TGIF!

I had my surgery Friday and came home yesterday. I have two 4 pound yorkies who must be sitting on top of me at all times. I just keep my bed pillow on my lap and everyone is happy.

lapdogs2.jpg

This is how I have spent the last two days. They can always tell when your not 100% and try to make it all better. My sweet little heating pads.