Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello ! I've been reading a lot for months now. The good the bad and the ugly . The complications scare me. I am 41 and 5'5" 256 lbs and have type 2 diabetes/GERD /high bp/high cholesterol and have been overweight about 9 years now in the obese category . I go to my doctor in 3 wks to try to get a referral for gastric bypass surgery. I feel I just cannot do this anymore and my health is getting scary. I guess I'm looking for some reassurance and I need to hear from people who started where I am at and have done well. All the horror stories have me just scared. Yet my future and losing life from obesity is scarier. Any advice and or comments appreciated :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

If you have hit a point in your life where you are sick and tired of your diminishing health. You realize what you have tried has not given you the results you want. Well then you are ready for a change.

Is this change the change for you? Only you can answer that. This is not the easy route. But it is a life changer.

Any questions feel free to ask. People here try to be honest. But remember this is your journey, not theirs.

I am 3 years post-op RNY. I had diabetes, high blood pressure, severe acid reflux and sleep apnea prior to surgery. Those conditions were cleared up within 2 weeks after surgery and have remained in remission ever since. This surgery was one of the best decisions I ever made.

I'm 52 and 5 weeks post op. My stats are similar to yours. I'm 5'4" and was 250lbs. I had sleep apnea (which I believe is already gone), but I don't have the other health problems you have. Regardless, I've struggled with my weight for the last 20 years. Up and down with more ups than downs. I realized that 20 years was long enough to prove that I needed help with this. You know whether or not you can get healthy on your own or not. There's no shame in getting help! I'm so glad that I did this!

horror stories are few and far between. The vast majority of people have no complications at all or maybe only a minor one (like a stricture). It's just that the horror stories get a lot of press. And you're right - staying obese is way more dangerous than weight loss surgery. I'd honestly do it every year if I had to. Best decision I ever made.

@@shannonmarczak

I have said this many times to many people. The only thing I regret is not having WLS sooner. I was 51 had diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, severe gerd, stage 3 kidney disease by the time I actually decided not to be scared anymore.

Within a few months of surgery all of my testing came back normal. I still have some issues with my kidneys but compared to where I was headed, I am extremely healthy! I regret waiting because all those years in an obese state left my joints severely damaged. In particular my spine and I have been paying for it ever since.

Don't wait and do more damage to yourself. Walk, no run to your closest center of excellence and get help for this disease.

You will not be sorry!

Thanks everyone . Tonight I went to our county fair. I could hardly handle the heat and wore jeans because of my leg size. As we left 3 hours later I told my husband that I never ever want to feel bad another summer . I'm getting that referral and going to go for this surgery. People will judge me no matter what . I might as well just do it now! Maybe I'll have better 40s because my 30s were spent obese! I love this forum and this app has helped me in one day more than any info out there! I'm gonna do this!!

I'm 30, 5'5 , and 260. I have everything that you listed was wrong with you.. I can't tell you how making the decision to get sleeved ( 6 days to go) has helped me think of the future. During the pre op, I have no Gerd, my sugars have been lower than before and I feel more healthier and energetic. I highly encourage you to get the surgery and good for you!

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

I am 3 years post-op RNY. I had diabetes, high blood pressure, severe acid reflux and sleep apnea prior to surgery. Those conditions were cleared up within 2 weeks after surgery and have remained in remission ever since. This surgery was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Did u have bypass or sleeve, if I may ask?

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I'm 30, 5'5 , and 260. I have everything that you listed was wrong with you.. I can't tell you how making the decision to get sleeved ( 6 days to go) has helped me think of the future. During the pre op, I have no Gerd, my sugars have been lower than before and I feel more healthier and energetic. I highly encourage you to get the surgery and good for you!

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

I was told sleeve wouldn't be a good choice for my GERD? I have a lot to research still .

I am 35, 5' 5 1/2", I am pre-diabetic, have heels spurs, and been having joint problems. Despite what anyone says to me, I am doing this. I am still new to the process but I wish you luck!

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using the BariatricPal App

Hey kinda freaked out I am 3 weeks post op and I have had nothing but positive to say about the surgery. I have had no complications and feel great. I think the biggest thing is to be in good health prior to surgery. Get active and your recovery will be much easier.

Sent from my SM-G900P using the BariatricPal App

I had mini bypass yesterday. Surgeon felt it best for me as apparently long term weight loss is better with the bypass than sleeve - although of course depends on individual and lifestyle

Sent from my SM-G920F using the BariatricPal App