Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food to get things moving

I have recently been suffering from constant Constipation and painful bowel movements. I know its from the high Protein diet (in the past 2 weeks I've been pure protein) and I'm slacking on Water intake. Im refocusing this week and aiming to go back to 2L per day. I want to also add some veggies that have high fibre. I want to reserve taking supplements and/or medication as a last resort. Any recommendations for quick fix veggies with high fibre. Do Beans have fibre and protein?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Beans do have Fiber and Protein (and carbs but a good source of carbs). But as @@eclecticwingtips, if it has been a while, you are likely going to need a med to get things moving. Outside of that, I have tried dried apricots and prunes. (They are very high sugar so be careful and don't eat too much.) I find that apples (with the skin) really help too. I am almost 14 months post-op and still have this issue. As you said, it is the high Protein diet.

Past threads recommended the following for Constipation.< /p>

Apples with the skin

Smooth Move Herbal Tea

Prune juice (warmed)

Prunes (4 in the morning and 4 at night)

Magnesium citrate

Insoluble fibers (Garden of Life Raw Fiber or Renew Life Triple Fiber).

Haribo sugar free Gummy Bears

Aerobic Magnesium 07

Ground Flax Seeds (but don’t try to grind it yourself). Use 2 tablespoons per glass of Water every night before going to bed.

Low Fat Bran Muffin (recipe). 80 calories each

1 cup flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon cinnamon

2 cups bran Cereal

1 ¼ cups milk

1 egg

½ tablespoon applesauce

optional: banana, berries, mini chocolate chips

Bake 400° F for 22 minutes

Thanks so much guys! I managed a rather painful movement at 6am today. So i will heed the advice to clean out the pipes with some kind of med. Thank you for the list of foods. Ironically i give my babies apples n prunes daily to manage their poops! ..didn't even think to dip into their stash!

You can take a stool softener for now to get things moving and less painful. When I had the post-partum poops, Dulcolax helped a lot.

I'm pro-prunes, myself. They taste good enough and really help with regularity! Plus they're just healthy in general. I give my babies prunes (or prune juice) when they have Constipation, too.

Thanks so much guys! I managed a rather painful movement at 6am today. So i will heed the advice to clean out the pipes with some kind of med. Thank you for the list of foods. Ironically i give my babies apples n prunes daily to manage their poops! ..didn't even think to dip into their stash!

See, Mamma, how smart you really are? :) Good going----(enjoy the pun) :)

I also know that coffee or ginger help some folks. My grandmother used to use an Ivory soap sliver as a suppository to get things moving along. It is both gentle and effective.

Dulcolax stool softener may be added to your Vitamin regimen daily. Ask you team for a RX. It is gentle and what a lot of WLS folks use.

Good luck "mov'n long". :)

@@Valentina - my mom is also a believer in the soap trick!

Smart mom!

One should always listen to one's "momma".

At least that's what I tell my daughters. :)

I haven't tried this yet but my surgeon recommended Probiotics. I'm Almost two years out and still have issues.

I will be trying it this weekend.

Smooth Move tea will get you all cleaned out :-)