Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Oh, don't worry. We don't need to take our your gallbladder."

I'm so sorry you're going through this misery, and I hope you feel much better very soon!

I had surgery in Mexico because I didn't meet insurance qualifications to have it locally, but my endocrinologist here in LA is the one who had suggested the VSG to for my PCOS-related issues, and I called and asked her about whether I was likely to develop gallbladder issues and if I should have my gallbladder removed. She said no and no. Some of the Mexico-based surgeons I'd looked into stated that they removed gallbladders for free, and one of the coordinators I consulted with seemed to assume that because of this I'd want mine removed. She told me I'd likely need to within a year if I didn't have it taken out during surgery, because she and other people she knew had painful gallbladder issues that necessitated surgery after having the VSG. So, to her it was more logical to take care of two problems in one go and take advantage of having the gallbladder removed for free. Her circumstance was very different from mine, though, because she said her starting weight was over 400 pounds and that she lost nearly 200 of it relatively quickly. My starting BMI was in the low 30s and my initial weight loss goal was 65 pounds (I've lost a bit over 80 pounds now, but quite slowly). My endocrinologist said that it would not be necessary or beneficial for me to have my gallbladder removed considering my specific circumstances - age, weight loss goal, overall health. I've never lost more than 11 pounds in one month (and that includes the "honeymoon phase" immediately post-op when most drop weight the fastest), and some people have lost that or far more in 10 days. She said that those who are losing weight rapidly are at a much higher risk of having gallbladder problems. So it's definitely something that is very individual. August 18 was my one-year mark, and I haven't had any gallbladder or other issues.

I have read that having your gallbladder removed can cause weight gain has anyone experienced this at all or any changes in digestion?

I have read that having your gallbladder removed can cause weight gain has anyone experienced this at all or any changes in digestion?

I had to have my gallbladder out in early 2001. I had lost 40 measly pounds in 3 or 4 months on Weight Watchers. My youngest daughter was 3 at the time and I remember telling the surgeon I had experienced a lot of heartburn with her (my fourth pregnancy) He said I probably had gallstones even back then. I gained a lot of weight through 4 pregnancies in 6 years. Anyway, like most of us yo yo dieters I did gain the 40 pounds back, and then some, but I don't think lack of a gallbladder causes weight gain. I did have diarrhea for years off and on after the surgery, but it was better than the churning and burning in my stomach caused by gallstones. Avoiding heavy or fatty foods helped, but WLS people should be doing that anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the BariatricPal App

I've had mild gallbladder flareups since 2010. I've had ultrasounds where they did diagnose me with stones, but advised non fat diets. When I follow low fat diets, I don't have flareups but hey I am obese, so of course the flareup continue but not dangerously so. When I read about the percentage of people who had gallbladder removed AFTER the sleeve, I spoke to my surgeon and asked him to take it together. We did another scan and it still showed stones, so he said for sure, he'd take both my gallbladder and stomach at the same time (thru the same incision).

The morning of surgery, he stood at the end of my bed going through my binder of papers said he was looking for my scan because it was showing to remove my gallbladder and he said he doesn't remove healthy organs. I hadn't seen him in months, so he just had to review that. He took it out. :) No issues.

I was lucky I guess in that my gall bladder had gone bad during my first pregnancy so I went in without one, but my surgeon says he has seen so many people need to come back for gall bladder surgery that he opts to take it out as part of the procedure for sleeve and RNY patients.

FWIW my surgeon's protocol is to palpate the gallbladder at the time of WLS and if there are any stones he removes it. He says his patients have only rarely had gallbladder problems when he didn't feel any stones during the surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Sleeved in May of 2015, never had gallbladder issues up to that point. To date I've lost 80lbs. Discussed my gallbladder with my WLS surgeon prior to surgery and he said no worries, my gallbladder looks fine. Started having attacks about 8 months later and then in August 2016 couldn't take it anymore and had my gallbladder out because it was so bad. My dr who did the surgery said it's very common in WLS patients after surgery to have issues, especially once you start eating "fatty" foods again whether they are good or bad fats. Feel better soon. It took me until just these past few weeks to get my stools back to normal. Had loose stools for 2 months afterwards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App