Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Awkward hmmmm...probably constant Protein farts :-P ....nothing has been really akward...but people who don't know me ask well why didn't you just work out with a trainer first ? No crap like I didn't try that and everything else under the sun. Makes me wanna punch someone . Cause weightloss surgery is totally an easy way out says NO ONE who is going through it .

I burp a lot!! It just comes out sometimes.I don't drink carbonated drinks, use a straw or chew gum...but I still just burp..lol

A few awkward moments: My OB/GYN didn't recognize me until he started reading my chart. He thought I was a new patient. That awkward moment when you are eating out with people who didn't know you had surgery...they just go on and on about how little you eat. Or when you are out to eat, you and your husband share a meal (he had surgery too) and you eat so little the manager comes out to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with your food. We then spend 5 minutes explaining that we had surgery and cannot eat. Then spend another 10 minutes answering questions about our surgeon, the process, etc. Now what I mostly get is "are you done losing weight? You are so skinny." or "Are you sure you didn't have plastic surgery, I don't see any skin?"

Awkward hmmmm...probably constant Protein farts :-P ....nothing has been really akward...but people who don't know me ask well why didn't you just work out with a trainer first ? No crap like I didn't try that and everything else under the sun. Makes me wanna punch someone . Cause weightloss surgery is totally an easy way out says NO ONE who is going through it .

AMEN...BEEN THERE

thunder32

My daughter met a young man that was working as a clerk at a gas station. He was talking to her and my daughter could tell that he liked her and was going to ask her out. Another girl was working at the gas station too. She knew my daughter from elementary and middle school. She said to the boy in front of my daughter that she used to be fat. He just looked at the girl and said well she's not now. The manager heard the conversation and he fired the girl on the spot. My daughter was so embarrassed. She never did go out with the boy.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My One Year Surgery-versary, I was talking to a co-worker saying how it'd been a year and she said "Yeah, I remember when you first started, I said to myself 'Man, she sure is FAT'". I was so surprised by her comment, all I could do was nod.

Seeing people who knew the 'old me' who don't recognize the 'new me' and I have to basically re-introduce myself.

People who know about my surgery - and I've been very open about it - who have no problems asking how much I've lost now and what my goal is...so with some simple math they can figure out what my starting weight was. I'm proud of my weight loss but not as comfortable with the world knowing my starting point...

I went to give my father in law some shirts that don't fit me anymore and he said "are you sure you want to give these away? You'll probably just gain the weight back"

AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

How could those words POSSIBLY come out of the mouth of someone who loves you???!!!!

Did you reply?

I haven't had my WLS yet (I get sleeved on Thursday). But I'm already feeling somewhat awkward for what is in store. It's going to be awkward when I meet new people as someone who is thin, and eventually tell them that I once used to be over 200 pounds (my max weight was 255). I'm dreading that moment. But, I'm more excited about losing the weight and getting my life back than anything. :)

Edited by Hiraeth

Great thread! I agree with most of these.

It is awkward when you go out to eat and the server approaches looking very concerned and asks if there is anything wrong with the food because you've not eaten much.

When the little old ladies at church tell me how tiny I am now and I'm wearing a size 16-18 pants and still have MANY pounds to go

I have a coworker who keeps giving me diet recommendations. I "should be" eating this and I "shouldn't be" eating that. She knows that I have had surgery, and I keep reminding her that I'm on a "special diet" with a reduced stomach, so the "recommended" way of eating (half a plate of veggies and a very small portion of protein) isn't going to work because my focus is Protein first - whether it be via Protein shakes or lean meat (she's also vegetarian). She doesn't agree with Protein Shakes and meat as Protein sources, because she says "I should be getting them naturally via veggies/beans." I am tired of explaining this to her, LOL.

My other pet peeve - my family keeps telling me that I'm getting too small and that I don't need to lose any more weight. Even though I'm tall - I'm still a size 12. Far from skinny IMO.

When I tell people my goal weight or how much more I want to lose they act shocked and tell me that it's too much to lose. It's so annoying. If it's too much, either it won't happen or I'll gain some back if I look sickly.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

So I have started lying about how much I've lost to ppl at work bc they don't know about the surgery. Now I have to keep up with my weight lie.. see how one really does create another lie!! Lol

Sometimes when I see someone I haven't seen in a while, they ask"did you get a haircut or something?" OR they'll say "nice haircut!". There is no new haircut lol. They just can't figure out what's different I think

I haven't had my WLS yet (I get sleeved on Thursday). But I'm already feeling somewhat awkward for what is in store. It's going to be awkward when I meet new people as someone who is thin, and eventually tell them that I once used to be over 200 pounds (my max weight was 255). I'm dreading that moment. But, I'm more excited about losing the weight and getting my life back than anything. :)

You don't have to tell anyone you were overweight. I've been at goal for more than two years and those who met me at my current weight, do not know I was heavy. I don't hide it but I don't announce it either. The only people who I have to tell about my weight are the men I have relationships with. And that's my choice...I don't have to do that either. I've had two relationships that went past a date or two and both those men knew I had WLS. I'm in a commited relationship now and he knows as well. I didn't disclose it right away but I saw where we were going and wanted to get it out of the way. Oh, and FYI, the reactions were always positive not negative. Good luck and like I said...it's up to you what to tell, and to whom.

You don't have to tell anyone you were overweight. I've been at goal for more than two years and those who met me at my current weight, do not know I was heavy. I don't hide it but I don't announce it either. The only people who I have to tell about my weight are the men I have relationships with. And that's my choice...I don't have to do that either. I've had two relationships that went past a date or two and both those men knew I had WLS. I'm in a commited relationship now and he knows as well. I didn't disclose it right away but I saw where we were going and wanted to get it out of the way. Oh, and FYI, the reactions were always positive not negative. Good luck and like I said...it's up to you what to tell, and to whom.

That's right, YOU DONT.

So I have started lying about how much I've lost to ppl at work bc they don't know about the surgery. Now I have to keep up with my weight lie.. see how one really does create another lie!! Lol

I am so obnoxious about it!! I thought I would be the same way.. and now I scream 143 POUNDS LOST!!

My daughter met a young man that was working as a clerk at a gas station. He was talking to her and my daughter could tell that he liked her and was going to ask her out. Another girl was working at the gas station too. She knew my daughter from elementary and middle school. She said to the boy in front of my daughter that she used to be fat. He just looked at the girl and said well she's not now. The manager heard the conversation and he fired the girl on the spot. My daughter was so embarrassed. She never did go out with the boy.

Aw man, he might not have known what to say!

I am struggling with the skin..... my bat wings as I call my arms... I have a lot of skin in my thighs butt area... it bothers me but it bothers me less then being overweight... I am single and it might take some time for me to be comfy with sharing myself with anyone.... but I feel so much better... still fighting with the lack of energy.... and still working on accepting that part of me... but I feel normal again.... people dont stare at me I am no longer the fattest person in any given area... and guys even hold doors open for me... I wish I had done it sooner

I know people who have batwings that haven't been super overweight!