Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The most awkward part of WLS is knowing the only option I had left was surgery. I was so out of control that nothing short of medical intervention was needed. I'm still so ashamed of that. It's why I'm so happy that after more than two years at goal, no one makes comments about how great I look. I know that seems odd, but for every compliment I got, it was a reminder to me how large I had become. I know...I know. Believe me...there's a reason I'm in therapy.... :P

The attention has been difficult.. Guys checking me out, very visibly.. making comments, etc.

at the same time, I love it. I looooove attention, then when its been awhile, I start craving it.

The other hard thing for me is trying to keep myself out of trouble with my marriage..

Alex, I think I am going to reject the premise of this question. I can't think of anything awkward post surgery. NOW pre-surgery there were some strained conversations with some very specific co-workers (I consult and I needed to let them know I could possibly be out of pocket for weeks). But everything went very well and the team (as well as myself) are very pleased with the results.

This one I just don't have words for; I hope it make sense. Now that I have lost weight people are much more open about their weight biases. I have a coworker who keeps remarking how "happy" my husband must be now that I am thinner-- uh, he and I didn't know he was "unhappy" before. In fact he misses some parts of plumper me (butt/boobs). I was over 200lbs when I met my husband. Another person shared snide remarks with me about people who have "let themselves go and how unrecognized able they are". Both of these people knew me at my heaviest and now at my lightest.

Confronting weight bias post WLS has been the most awkward thing for me, I feel unprepared to address it.

so interesting.. My husband preferred me prior..

For me, the most awkward moment was when a group of tourists asked me for directions. I pointed in a certain direction and noticed the youngest child in the group was staring at the flabby skin hanging down under my right arm. Even though it was a child, I was still mortified. Have been self conscious of it ever since

"are you sure you want to give these away? You'll probably just gain the weight back"

@@gary5862

what an awful thing to hear!!

did you have a good come back??

were you understandably shocked??

68 lbs down - good for you

keep up the good work

for the rest of your healthier, happier, longer life :rolleyes:

good luck

kathy

congrats

Oh! I also dropped my pants once in Walmart... they were on one moment and on the floor around my knees the next. I was there to get smaller pants/leggings, and I was just a bit late I suppose. :P Luckily, only my boyfriend saw and I was in the small isle's in the women's section, so I was pretty covered.

LOL! Why does that only seem to happen at Walmart?

The most awkward moment for me is also one of the most joyful moments since my WLS.

It was when me sweatpants fell off while catching a 42" Striped Bass from the surf of the Raritan Bay. ;)

I was the only woman surf fishing during the sunrise when I found myself chest high in the salt Water with only my new blues undies on.

As awkward as it was, the men on the beach were wonderful, jovial, retrieved my extra shorts from my car and were willing to take a solemn oath (the cross your heart and hope to die kind) NOT to take any pictures. :)

By the way?

I caught the fish! ;)

Love it!

"are you sure you want to give these away? You'll probably just gain the weight back"

@@gary5862

what an awful thing to hear!!

did you have a good come back??

were you understandably shocked??

68 lbs down - good for you

keep up the good work

for the rest of your healthier, happier, longer life :rolleyes:

good luck

kathy

congrats

My father-in-law has no filter, and I never told him that I had WLS. After the initial shock, I just smiled and said "I'm sure I won't need them"

hadn't seen my ex for over 30 years

(except 10 minutes here and there a few times)

he luckily lives out of state

knew i would see him 3 years ago at our grand-daughters' bar Mitzvah

i was speaking to him politely and briefly

mom came over and started to talk and say stuff like - doesn't she look great etc etc

i wanted to die!!! i walked (ran) away quickly when i realized what she was saying!!!

i never mind receiving compliments, but from my mom - talking to my ex!!!

I felt like i was 5 years old

very embarrassing - i was so mad!!!

kathy

The awkwardness for me comes when people ask how much I've lost. They start trying to figure out how much I started as most people don't guess that I was over 400... And I don't really want them to know, so of course I make up some other number.

Or when people ask me how I'm losing all this weight. I don't disclose all my personal business so, it's tough for me.

Also in my noisy stomach after meals. It waits till I'm in meetings at work to make THE MOST noise!

Edited by her1981

I am struggling with the skin..... my bat wings as I call my arms... I have a lot of skin in my thighs butt area... it bothers me but it bothers me less then being overweight... I am single and it might take some time for me to be comfy with sharing myself with anyone.... but I feel so much better... still fighting with the lack of energy.... and still working on accepting that part of me... but I feel normal again.... people dont stare at me I am no longer the fattest person in any given area... and guys even hold doors open for me... I wish I had done it sooner

I Have a coworker who is always offering me food, even though I have explained in great excruciating detail my diet restrictions and the lengths I go to plan food for the week.

Also the first picture I posted after losing about 30lbs was after my face started breaking out because of all the crazy hormones from the weight loss. Very first comment is my step-sister freaking out about my face.

I am struggling with the skin..... my bat wings as I call my arms... I have a lot of skin in my thighs butt area... it bothers me but it bothers me less then being overweight... I am single and it might take some time for me to be comfy with sharing myself with anyone.... but I feel so much better... still fighting with the lack of energy.... and still working on accepting that part of me... but I feel normal again.... people dont stare at me I am no longer the fattest person in any given area... and guys even hold doors open for me... I wish I had done it sooner

what's funny is if I have to schootch over in my seat and I feel that butt skin folding under me. it's only funny because no one can see it happening. what a wild ride.

Thank goodness no one can see it but its there LOL