Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think I'm driving myself bonkers. I'm so impatient for things to HAPPEN. I started seeing my PCP on June 8th and have had two visits with her. I saw my surgeon, counselor, and dietitian for the first time on July 11th. It was a great visit! The visits I had with my PCP should count toward the 6 month requirement. So excited! But now there's nothing to do. I see my PCP again on August 3rd (for other reasons but she'll also document my weight as well, just in case) and then I have a weight loss class that my surgeon's office does on August 9th. I'll be weighed there as well. And then nothing until September. The only other test my surgeon wants done is a body composition analysis which I hope to have done in September, and the next weight loss class is in September as well. My surgeon only wants to see me lose another 10 pounds so there is no pressure there. The biggest thing is he needs to see that my bipolar is stable, which the new med I'm on is working great so I'm not worried about that either.

How do you manage to pass the time? I feel like I'm so focused on the surgery that it's the only thing I can even think about. I think I'd feel less nuts about it if I felt like I had more to do. More tests to schedule, more classes to go to... something. Am I the only one feeling like the clocking is moving at a snails pace during this whole process?

I felt that way, too. What you can do is work on making some changes that you will need to make for surgery. If you drink soda--even diet--quit now. Get used to drinking Water a LOT. Increase your Protein intake. You can research procedures and get an idea of which surgery you think is better for you. Start gathering bariatric recipes, if you like to cook. It's good that you are so focused on the surgery, because it's a huge life change. And you have to change forever, so build your good habits now. It's hard to wait, but it will go by faster than you think. Best wishes to you as you begin your journey!

Believe me, done that, pretty much all of it. LOL I already drink a minimum of 120 oz of Water a day (it's basically all I ever drink). I follow a low carb diet so my Protein is already where it needs to be. I have two Pinterest boards full of bariatric and Keto recipes (I hate to cook but my husband will cook for me). The only thing is diet soda (haven't had sugary soda in over 12 years), but I already gave up caffeine about a year ago and I've cut WAY down on my soda, so it'll come in time. The dietitian I saw on the 11th said I'm her favorite patient and that there isn't much more for me to be doing except learn to eat slower (I have 3 kids, if I don't eat fast my food goes cold lol). I just feel so ready, I want the surgery now, darn it! LOL

Sounds like you've got it covered! Just hang in there; you are doing great...wish I could speed it up for you!

Thanks. :) I almost wish I wasn't so on top of everything. Then I'd at least still have something to do to pass the time. lol

Anyone have a time machine?

The waiting is the worst part of this. It's a shame that bariatric surgery is the only medically necessary surgery that insurance companies make you jump through hoops for to prove you are worthy of the surgery.....it's baffling!

The good news is time will keep on ticking by and it will eventually get here! Just continue as you are doing and be ready for set backs as there are often many during the pre-op phase, but the important thing is to stay the course....If your bariatric center sponsors support group meetings start attending those....they are normally for pre-op or post-op patients.

Good luck to you!!!

Another thing you can start on is your hair. Yes there is loosing of the hair!

I have been fortunate in that area, started 6 months before surgery taking 10,000 of the Biotin. This came up in the first group meeting you go through with the surgeon and NUT. I'm 3 months away from 2 years out and I'm still using Biotin 10,000. At 59 my hair grows fast and thick, my hairstylist is amazed it's really in great condition.

After my first meeting with my surgeon, I was like "LETS GO TO THE OR TODAY!! IM READY!!" I had to wait 6 months.

so, I took those 6 months so prep for life after surgery. I cut out Carbohydrates and all sugar for good about 6 weeks prior to surgery and started to change my household and how I shopped.

I also did research on recipes and meals for the future. It goes very quickly!

When I started out in February, I was told by my insurance company that I had to wait 6 months. I had a lot of appointments to do, so I was really busy for the first 3 months. Then, at my 3rd appointment with the doctor at the weight management center, I was informed that since I had everything done that I was being referred to the surgeon early. I had NO hope that I would get my surgery before August. My first appointment with the surgeon had to be rescheduled because he had been called into emergency surgery. I was crushed, but figured I would have to wait til August anyway. But, I saw him about 10 days later and my insurance approved me after 3 days! I got scheduled and started my pre-op liquid diet a few days later. Longest 2 weeks of the entire process...but I made it and was sleeved 5/23! You ladies will make it too!!! Hang in there...

I'm still early in my journey and I know how you feel!! I want it NOW! Patience isn't my strong point. :unsure:

My process was 7 months. We had to take classes, one each month and see a lot of Drs. So the time went by fast since each month was filled with appointments. You got this.

Edited by cindyw41

Me tooooo! I am dying just starting this process. I can't imagine having to wait the full six months. Some say, "it flies by so fast!" But all I can think is, I've been dealing with this since I was in junior high... I've waited long enough!"

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I feel the same way! I have been following the suggestions: eating high Protein, lower carb, attending support groups, trying to kick the soda habit to the curb (this is a work in progress). Recently I have found a podcast that I've been listening to at work (weightlosssurgerypodcast.com) that has tons of good info. My first Doctor visit was May 12 - The past two months have gone by quickly.