Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So today I had a fell week and gave in bought a bag of chips (was only able to eat 3) and a soda ( had about 3 sips). I feel so guilty. I've been doing so well. I had WLS on 06/07. I did the WLS for a change of life style and I go and do this. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

I don't need to say all of the stuff you already know (carbonation is bad/dangerous to a healing wound, the chips could make you dump, blah blah blah) because you already know that. I will say that you need to cut yourself a little slack here. You obviously are aware that you made a less than good decision while trying to cope with a new and drastically different lifestyle. So you had a few sips of a coke, and three chips. Realistically speaking, though these foods are horrible in general, in this tiny amount, it isn't the end of the world. If a bite would lead to cravings and so on, that's another story. But in this case, you took a bite, you had a sip, and you moved on, yes? You're aware that you are not happy with this action. You're aware that you've coped in an unhealthy way, and want to be better. You're already making up for making a mistake.

In the end, we're only human. Yes, we have to do our damnedest after surgery to stay on track and lose weight and be healthy and so on, but slip ups WILL happen, and just knowing that you don't want to do it again and you're going to try your best not to do it again is enough. Forgive yourself for making a mistake and move forward with the intention of being better and doing better, and you'll get there with a healthier attitude than you may have ever dreamed of, with the healthy body to match. Hang in there! This huge change affects every aspect of life, and it's so enormous that most people can't even understand the enormity of it until they experience it, and then it takes years to adjust to your whole new life. You'll get there, and you'll be okay. This is not the end of the world or the end of all of your hard work and achievement. Keep going. <3 My inbox is always open if you ever want someone to talk to!

@@Cervidae

What a great, supportive response. I agree. The important thing is to not beat yourself up or you will have a hard time getting past it and continue on a destructive path. At least, that's how I am. I can't say that I've cheated yet but I'm only 3 weeks out and still in that phase that I'm afraid to stray from the plan because I had surgery complications. It's so hard though. My doctor told me something that stuck with me. He said that I will see people stuffing their faces with fast food, pizza, cake, etc. forever and that I have to accept the fact that I can not eat like other people or I'm going to return to a life of obesity. RNY is once in a lifetime. That's it. If I blow it, I'm right back to where I started. My whole family (husband and 4 kids) are naturally slim and eat whatever they want. They are constantly stuffing their faces with delicious food right in front of me. I only have one son who is kind of a hippie and eats healthy. I just let them eat and sip on my shake bc I just have to let it go. I worked on this mental part before my surgery and have accepted it. Is it fair? Nope. But it's what I need to do. You will be fine. It was brave of you to reach out on here. That tells me that you're going to make it girl. You got this!!

Edited by taracutch

At 1.5 yrs out I must say I've cheated a lot. One day I just wanted a doughnut so bad I drove to Krispy Kreme and got one. I ate it I dumped I felt guilty I haven't done it since. I give in every now and then just to satisfy my mental state if that makes any sense. I sorta was forced to have this surgery so the weight really wasn't the issue. My starting weight was only 181 today it is 120 I had rny as a resort to my stomach being removed. I have no remnant pouch it had to be removed during my surgery which took 10.5 hours 8 days later an obstructed bowel surgery, then the gall bladder 6 months later it's been a rough road but I'm on it [emoji847]

@@Cervidae and @@taracutch thank you for replying and for the words of encouragement. This is hard and I'm glad I was able to come on here and express how I feel without getting judged. I really want to be a healthy me and need to be focused. Again I appreciate the encouragement.

At 1.5 yrs out I must say I've cheated a lot. One day I just wanted a doughnut so bad I drove to Krispy Kreme and got one. I ate it I dumped I felt guilty I haven't done it since. I give in every now and then just to satisfy my mental state if that makes any sense. I sorta was forced to have this surgery so the weight really wasn't the issue. My starting weight was only 181 today it is 120 I had rny as a resort to my stomach being removed. I have no remnant pouch it had to be removed during my surgery which took 10.5 hours 8 days later an obstructed bowel surgery, then the gall bladder 6 months later it's been a rough road but I'm on it

Wow that is a lot to go through. I completely understand what your saying. It was all a mental thing. I hate that I gave in but like @@Cervidae said "moving forward" from the mistake. Thank you for sharing.

I have screwed up many times, learn from it and move on. You are only human!

At 1.5 yrs out I must say I've cheated a lot. One day I just wanted a doughnut so bad I drove to Krispy Kreme and got one. I ate it I dumped I felt guilty I haven't done it since. I give in every now and then just to satisfy my mental state if that makes any sense. I sorta was forced to have this surgery so the weight really wasn't the issue. My starting weight was only 181 today it is 120 I had rny as a resort to my stomach being removed. I have no remnant pouch it had to be removed during my surgery which took 10.5 hours 8 days later an obstructed bowel surgery, then the gall bladder 6 months later it's been a rough road but I'm on it

If you don't want to share...I get it...but was wondering why you had all that happen to you! accident, illness, etc...you don't have to ansr if you don't want to....

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

So today I had a fell week and gave in bought a bag of chips (was only able to eat 3) and a soda ( had about 3 sips). I feel so guilty. I've been doing so well. I had WLS on 06/07. I did the WLS for a change of life style and I go and do this. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

I guess this is the part where...group therapy comes in??? Idk yet seeing as waiting on insurance approval ...I will say...it's scary to see stories of regain though

I am pre-op but went to therapy for this type of emotional eating so I can do my best to avoid this happening post-op. It's good you were able to stop at just 3! Please be careful - you are still healing! Try finding a distraction when you get these cravings - walk, read, paint your nails, color, brush your dog (if you have one), etc. Stay strong!

Obviously you already know this was not the right thing to do an I am glad you recognize it.

My advice to you is to speak with a therapist just to better understand why you are self sabatoging so early on. If you were 6 or 8 months out it is one thing but you are so soon out of surgery that this could be a problem if you don't understand why.

Everyone cheats once in a while, but not everyone attempts it so early on. It is quite dangerous and can set you up for failure down the road if you don't deal with the whys behind it.

Just being honest here......you can do this! I am glad you recognize that it was the wrong thing to do. You just need to know why and address it.

I guess this is the part where...group therapy comes in??? Idk yet seeing as waiting on insurance approval ...I will say...it's scary to see stories of regain though

I use this app as group therapy lol I read how other ppl are doing and it helps because they know what I'm feeling and going thru because they have gone thru it. On the other hand my family try to understand the mental and pyshical part of it all. It's hard for me to attend group only because I work 11am to 730 pm. I hope you get the approval soon.

I'm not one to go to group therapy but I did have individual sessions that I actually enjoyed and found useful. I have one more Support Group to attend as a requirement of surgery and not looking forward to it - 1st one was horrible!

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

Everyday is a new day to make a change. Just move forward from here. You are a brave person to have made the decision to have wls! You can do this.

I'm not one to go to group therapy but I did have individual sessions that I actually enjoyed and found useful. I have one more Support Group to attend as a requirement of surgery and not looking forward to it - 1st one was horrible!

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

If you don't mind me asking.... why was it horrible?