Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you get in enough Calories a day?

Had my 1 month follow-up on today. Even my surgeon noticed I lost minimal weight but nonetheless still encouraged me and said I've done well. She mentioned that I am not getting in enough calories so it looks like my body has hit starvation mode and holding onto weight. She wants me to get in at least 800 at this point. I have been taking in maybe 200-300/day. I have been obsessed with getting in enough Protein that I never thought about calories.

I am starting Soft Foods today and says I need to focus on raising my calories. Everything else including Fluid and Protein intake is going well.

My question is, how are you consuming at least 800 calories a day...or close to it? as I know this seems like a lot for such a small tummy. I just need food ideas. I had refried Beans for first time yesterday and they are yummy and go down easily but I cant eat Beans all day.

8lbs lost since surgery, 1 month Postop in 3 days :)

Edited by reachbree

Add melted cheese to the Beans. You will LOVE that. :)

Then add chopped (pureed?) chicken to the Beans / cheese. And some seasonings. Mmm ... mmm!

Find a luscious flavored Greek yogurt. Twelve grams of Protein at the very least. Most people love it. I did. :)

I was also into nonfat milk -- am a milk drinker.

Make some chili and puree it a little (not all the way). Add a dollop or two of sour cream.

Did I mention cheese? ;)

Mmm ... makes me want to do a week of "soft foods" again. ;)

Can you have Protein Shakes still? My post-op plan says to eat 5-6 times a day (3 hours in between). If you have about 160 calories each meal that should get you enough calories. I have not been thru surgery yet though so this is only my educated advice and not experience. :-)

I coulda sworn I replied already but.....You Guys crack me up with the melted cheese. I did have melted cheese on the Beans it was quite delicious!!

KristenLe, Yes, I haven't gotten any specific instructions to stop the Protein shakes so I assume they are still good. I just got sick of them and switched to nectar..now im getting sick of that!!....Will check the exact calories on Nectar!

I will work on eating every 3 hours...Man o man, the math in this!!! eat every 3 hours, do not drink less than 30 minutes before or after a meal...my brain hurts. I need something to zap me whenever its time for me to eat or drink. 1 zap for eat, 2 zaps for drink.

It is most difficult to do without consuming dairy. I struggle too.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The Syntrax nectar is pretty high in calories. 100 calories in an 8 oz glass, and 23g of Protein, and so yummy!

I'm surprised they gave you a calorie goal. My instructions all revolved around hitting a certain Protein goal, no mention of calorie ranges at all. I imagine if your shooting for somewhere between 60-80g of Protein a day you'll probably hit that 800 calories goal.

I'm definitely getting in about 75g of Protein, 69 from Protein Drink and a little more from food. However it doesn't add up to anywhere near 800. My issue is that Im still drinking all day, and finding it hard to fit in any solid foods. I'm literally not hungry and also really sleepy (hard to eat when you drained!) But now that I've been reminded that calories are important too, Im focusing on getting more calories from actual food. My nurse also stressed that its important at this stage to eat because if you don't your pouch can actually shrink, making it hard for even Fluid to get through.

I love avocados...something ive been wanting to try is avocado and a little salsa on it. Does anyone know if salsa is ok? low sodium of course. I WAS using PB powder in my vanilla shakes but got tired of it then nearly gagged at the sight of it lol I cant eat eggs!!!! Ive tried twice and for some reason they just don't go down well no matter how long I chew. Blech!

Thanks for the great food suggestions everyone!

I'm surprised they gave you a calorie goal. My instructions all revolved around hitting a certain Protein goal, no mention of calorie ranges at all. I imagine if your shooting for somewhere between 60-80g of protein a day you'll probably hit that 800 calories goal.

I was only hitting maybe about 600 calories for the first month and a half to two months. This was with one to two Protein shakes a day, and eating two meals, cottage or ricotta cheese, fish, eggs. I wasn't cleared for Solid foods until month three. I still feel it's weird for them to focus on calories, every meal plan I've seen emphasized getting your Protein in as a priority and to do so with the most calorie efficient foods possible, and getting other nutrients through your multi Vitamins and supplements. A serving or two of Peanut Butter might help, it's calorie dense but still a good protein food. I find two teaspoons to be very satisfying.

If you are hitting your goals though I wouldn't worry about trying to hit a calorie threshold until you're cleared for and able to take in regular solids. Long term 800-1000 is probably where we all want to be, but short term especially right after the surgery I think it's ok to come in under, it'll just end up helping you lose faster anyway.

Thanks, I will try out the peanut butter!

My Nurse and Surgeon are focusing on calories AND Protein right now because I've only lost 8lbs since surgery....that's pretty low and they are saying its because im not eating enough and have hit starvation mode...the scale has not moved since 1-2weeks post-op...not cool at all. Patients tend to loose quite a bit of weight during the first month...at least 15lbs.

I was only hitting maybe about 600 calories for the first month and a half to two months. This was with one to two Protein shakes a day, and eating two meals, cottage or ricotta cheese, fish, eggs. I wasn't cleared for Solid foods until month three. I still feel it's weird for them to focus on calories, every meal plan I've seen emphasized getting your Protein in as a priority and to do so with the most calorie efficient foods possible, and getting other nutrients through your multi Vitamins and supplements. A serving or two of Peanut Butter might help, it's calorie dense but still a good protein food. I find two teaspoons to be very satisfying.

If you are hitting your goals though I wouldn't worry about trying to hit a calorie threshold until you're cleared for and able to take in regular solids. Long term 800-1000 is probably where we all want to be, but short term especially right after the surgery I think it's ok to come in under, it'll just end up helping you lose faster anyway.