Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where is YOUR port located?

Good job Leatha considering I didn't even get the lyrics right. Ya know, someone gave me a good idea, which was to just keep my incision open, yank the tube out, and do my own fills. Waiting for Inamed to put out the new "external port" - do it yourself.

Jack, my surgeon (who does sternal placements) stated just the opposite, saying because there's less fat to lose there, less reason for repositioning of port. Hmmmm.

...and I hate it. I was just banded on November 23, and maybe I will get used to it, but so far it's the only really unpleasant part of this procedure. If I am laying down on my back, I feel it every time I inhale. Also when I am sitting at my computer with "good posture" I start to feel a soreness there, as though something is pushing on it, and I have to lean back.

I also feel it when I bend over and while lying on my left side. It's not pain exactly, but it's definitely discomfort. It's a feeling like something is "stuck" inside. I had not heard about skin soreness, but I have to say that is the only one of my incisions that is still sore. I am tempted to ask my doctor if there is any way to have the port moved if I can't get used to it.

I am trying to imagine how I will exercise or do workouts; for example, you lie on your back to do bench presses; you sit erect to use the rowing machine; and forget about stomach curls. :D

Other than that, everything has been great so far. Tomorrow I start mushies and I can't wait.

Good luck with your surgery!

Shrinking Violet, you should call your doctor and tell him about the discomfort. You might have a little infection or something. Maybe it's fine, but such misery over the port is uncommon. Sounds like the kind of thing you want to bring to your doctor's attention right away. I think everyone is always aware of their port, and there are days it's more sore than others, but you should not be so uncomfy. Trust me, I'm the Queen of Bad Ports! They removed mine because of infection. You're probably fine, but for peace of mind, see your doc. If not for you then for me?

My left/mid abdomen port was rather uncomfortable for quite a long time when I was first banded. Especially if I tried to wear jeans or any type of clothing with a true waistband. Sitting for long hours made it hurt as well. Abdominal exercises were pretty much out of the picture then too. As I have lost weight, it has migrated more toward the center and is much more comfortable now. I really think the biggest part of the first year it was a headache, but it does get better, I promise!

Leatha, I'm glad to hear that yours did feel better later. I'm hoping this is something that will go away with time (but a year!? Ack!) and your account is reassuring.

Lisa, I have an appointment on Wednesday, never fear. :D I had one on the first but I missed it because my son was sick. I'm kind of glad though because at that point I had just chalked up the discomfort to surgery (which it still could be). My incision is red but not leaking, so I'm hoping it's not infected. Side ones are definitely in a bad spot because of waist bands and everything.

Left upper above my belly butten too. I can really feel it now. Right after surgery I coiuldn't even find it due to my huge stomach.

Belinda

Hello, I got early last month and I am still not sure of some things, are you allowed to swollow pills (ex- tylenol for headache, meds for cold) I hear that you have too chew everything you eat really good, so I wasn't sure about taking meds. I know this is a stupid question, but I would appreciate any advise you could offer.

Estela

Violet, red is a sign of infection or irritation. Is the area warm to the touch? If so, don't let it go any longer. Infected ports in the early days aren't something to mess with.

As far as pills are concerned, many people can't swallow them whole. You don't want to take anything that can get stuck and irritate the esophogus or stomach. I'm able to take pills now. But when my restriction was tight, I couldn't get them down. I have a supply of liquid Tylenol, just in case. And some people even take liquid Vitamins.

I take 4 pills every night NOW. However, I have been restricted so tight that I was unable to swallow Water, much less pills, so I had to ask the pharmacist for a liquid alternative. The taste was utterly horrid. Otherwise, if you can't swallow them, you can crush them and hide them in yogurt or pudding etc. However, if you have capsules, you need to make sure they are not time released and it's okay to open them. Otherwise, your pharmacist may be able to suggest an alternative.

mine is under my ribcage on my left side.

Violet, red is a sign of infection or irritation. Is the area warm to the touch? If so, don't let it go any longer. Infected ports in the early days aren't something to mess with.

Hi Lisa. It's not hot to the touch and the discomfort hasn't spread beyond the area of the incision, but I did notice that a tiny part of the incision--about the size of the point on a thumbtack--has opened up. I will be going to the doctor in the morning for my regular post-surgery visit and I'll make sure to let him know what I'm experiencing.

Thank you for being concerned! I hope yours gets better soon.