Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What happens when a sleever reaches old age and low appetite?

I think loss of appetite is the body's way of gearing down at the end of life.

You know how everyone says that you never see old, obese people in nursing homes? In my opinion, one of the major reasons is that our bodies do start to waste away at the end. Loss of appetite is part of the process. Forgetting to eat is part of that process, too. I had a couple of obese great-aunts and as they reached a really advanced age and were ill enough to be in a nursing home they had lost a lot of weight.

You know how everyone says that you never see old, obese people in nursing homes? In my opinion, one of the major reasons is that our bodies do start to waste away at the end. Loss of appetite is part of the process. Forgetting to eat is part of that process, too. I had a couple of obese great-aunts and as they reached a really advanced age and were ill enough to be in a nursing home they had lost a lot of weight.

Yes, very true. And wow! You have lost so much weight since your surgery in April - congratulations!

Well...i honestly never ever thought about eating in old age. If I didn't have surgery I wouldn't even live to old age so it was a moo point. (bonus for those who get the Friends reference)

Well...i honestly never ever thought about eating in old age. If I didn't have surgery I wouldn't even live to old age so it was a moo point. (bonus for those who get the Friends reference)

Yes - very true!

Interesting point. Also maybe due to evolution the metabolism slows down since it would require us to use less energy resulting in us having to hunt and gather less calories to survive?

Also, sadly, very obese people may not live as long due to an earlier death from a comorbidity of obesity.

Interesting point. Also maybe due to evolution the metabolism slows down since it would require us to use less energy resulting in us having to hunt and gather less calories to survive?

Also, sadly, very obese people may not live as long due to an earlier death from a comorbidity of obesity.

Honestly I always just thought that obese people are so much less likely to make it to old age.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the BariatricPal App

Honestly I always just thought that obese people are so much less likely to make it to old age.

I think that is what most people say but it isn't 100% true.

I think that is what most people say but it isn't 100% true.
Oh I understand, nothing is true 100% of the time, but according to my surgeon being 100 pounds overweight, on average, takes 10 years off a person's life. Ten years less than average life expectancy doesn't really give you time to go into a retirement home. Of course there are people who beat the odds, like smokers who live long, healthy lives, but they are not the norm. I do understand that elderly people lose muscle mass, and height as well, so they tend to shrink. And often lose appetite as well. That is the least of my worries personally.

What happens when a sleever reaches old age and low appetite?

@@TracyBar

we shrivel up and die!!! LOL

i don't plan on getting older !! LOL

low appetite - don't think that's gonna happen either!!!

ok being serious now (hard for me!)

thought i heard it all

this is a question i never thought of before

i don't think most people do think of it

you "sound" like a youngun

concentrate on today, tomorrow

way future is just that - no need to dwell on it now

you have many more important problems to think of !!!! :lol:

take care

continue your research, reading

knowledge is power

kathy

Dad is 78 and still enjoys his food. I don't see a problem with his appetite at all.

They always say that, but I am not sure how true it is, especially with better medical care. I know two very morbidly obese people in their 70s, one had a kidney transplant two yrs ago because of uncontrolled diabetes. The medications we take for our health issues these days are a lot better than they were years ago. My grandmother was obese until she was 75. She had heart surgery then and slimmed down right after it. People are definitely living longer today and I don't even see my 78 yr old dad as old. He doesn't act it and neither do my other elderly relatives.