Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK, not trying to be mean, but there actually are stupid questions lol

Whats wrong with lobster bisque? I went to RL yesterday and ordered a bowl so I could have it for the rest of the week. I strained it and put it in my 1/4 cup containers. Quite satisfying. I'm 10 days post op.

@@Candygyrl

The base for lobster bisque is heavy cream and butter. The amount of Protein is very low, and it is calorie dense. Which is what my doctor told me, he didn't tell me not to have it, but he told me he didn't think it was the best option.

Like it isn't the worst option, but I decided it wasn't worth it when I was still struggling to meet Protein goals.

All I have wanted since surgery is a grilled cheese sandwich---which is odd because I rarely ate them pre-op. I have not eaten one and have no plans to in the near future, however, one day I will have a grilled cheese sandwich---in moderation as part of an overall healthy eating plan. I don't think that is "stupid" or "peasant food".

I think it is unrealistic to tell people that they can never, ever have "mom's brownies" or other favorites. Will I have ever eat a giant slice of cake again? Probably not, but I do hope to enjoy a small portion of cake every now and then eventually. There is nothing wrong with that. All things in moderation.

There's a difference between the belief that a food is banned for a lifetime and asking for an okay to have it at 2 weeks post-surgery. I was very diplomatic in answering with alternatives that might help satisfy the craving. She is in our program, and in our program we are still on just liquids at 2 weeks. Our NUTS and bariatric nurse are very thorough in the materials they provide to help us be successful. In those materials, and at every appointment, they clearly outline allowed foods at each stage.

And I took no offense to the peasant food comment at all. I love peasant food.

Edited by anniebanana

I have seen so many people on this very site post questions that scare me. I have seen multiple posts from people post op asking what their daily Water and or Protein goald should be.

I think my new thing is going to be to comment on all the posts about food. I just wrote two paragraphs about crackers...so now I'm going to write about PB&J. As a note, I'm 3 years out, I've been at goal for about 18 months, and I've been within 5 pounds of goal for almost two years (it took flipping forever to lose those last 5 pounds).

Guess what I ate last week? An entire box of those awful Smuckers Uncrustables with Peanut Butter and honey. I had major dental work done, everything I ate hurt my face, and those were soft and didn't add to my misery. They were good and I ate all four of them in less than 24 hours. I felt like my old fat self, except the difference between now and then is that I also didn't really eat anything else that day and I have no interest in having them again anytime soon. I didn't gain any weight, and I actually managed to lose a pound during that time, probably because the crackers I usually eat hurt my mouth with all the salt they have on them. You know what else I liked to do? Some days if I feel in the mood for something sweet, I will order the kids PB&J from Panera. I tend to forget about this when I say I don't eat sweets almost ever, but given the fact that I used to have a few Cookies, I'm fine with treating myself to a PB&J once every few weeks.

Three months after surgery I ate my face off in chocolate, I regularly ate half a Panera panini, oozing with cheese, and sometimes I had two TWO!! Starbucks cake pops in a day- within a few months after surgery! I didn't adapt to the way I eat now by cutting everything out immediately. Most days I eat chicken, goldfish, granola bars, and some form of vegetable Soup, but the other day I had Panera corn chowder, and guess what, I didn't get fat, I didn't die, and for once the cream in it didn't make me sick.

No, you shouldn't be eating PB&J two weeks after surgery, but for some people, it does them no good to ban them from certain foods forever because it just makes them want those foods more. My sleeve works for me because I can eat anything I want to and so I no longer have any real interest in things that were once forbidden. What works for one person doesn't work for another and I try very hard to not judge someone else's diet based on my own stomach.

I am now going to eat a handful of Peanut Butter Captain Crunch for Breakfast after I just drank two sugar free Red Bull...because I can and it's good and when I factor in what I eat the rest of the day, it is an entirely appropriate part of a normal day. :)

. You are awesome☝️

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

There's a difference between the belief that a food is banned for a lifetime and asking for an okay to have it at 2 weeks post-surgery. I was very diplomatic in answering with alternatives that might help satisfy the craving. She is in our program, and in our program we are still on just liquids at 2 weeks. Our NUTS and bariatric nurse are very thorough in the materials they provide to help us be successful. In those materials, and at every appointment, they clearly outline allowed foods at each stage.

And I took no offense to the peasant food comment at all. I love peasant food.

Just as long as people don't follow Marie Antoinette's diet advice: "Let them eat cake".

Now it makes sense. It must have been the 1 week, post bariatric WLS French peasants on their liquid diets who executed her by guillotine. :)

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

I ate Peanut Butter at my soft food stage. It was soft and had a lot of Protein. It wasn't on my list but I decided to be a rebel and eat it anyway. There could be a lot worse things than Peanut Butter and jelly.

I ask stupid questions I think sometimes but I KNOW NOT TO EVER ASK SOMETHING LIKE THAT. lol. I mean wow.

Sent from my iPhone

@@anniebanana - do the math, half of the population IS below average. And to be charitable, not everyone has research skills either.

I ate Peanut Butter at my soft food stage. It was soft and had a lot of Protein. It wasn't on my list but I decided to be a rebel and eat it anyway. There could be a lot worse things than Peanut Butter and jelly.

That's not on my list either, but NUT said I can consume in small amounts.

The lists your NUTS or Dr's give you is not all inclusive. When a food choice arises, write it down, and call your team. That's what you're paying them for or ask at a follow up appointment.

I have Peanut Butter on whole wheat English muffins every morning. Peanut Butter was on my list. People, use common sense. If you just had surgery, liquid or soft foods. After five weeks or so. Regular food as tolerated and if I remember right 1/2 cup at a time. By two years out probably one cup is good or 4 ounces of Protein. And my nutritionist says carbs are not bad in small doses.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

asking if bacon or alcohol are bad choices within days of surgery? Seriously?!

What's wrong with that? Everyone knows that a lapband is a strip of bacon. Raw bacon. The alcohol preserves it.

This wasn't a "will I ever be able to have it again" question. It was a "affirm my decision to go ahead and have it now" type of thing.

They want to hear only what they want to hear. When they don't, they edit "affirm my decision..." to "a firm decision..." and proceed with smugness.

They're all on their own.