Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK, not trying to be mean, but there actually are stupid questions lol

Someone in my bariatric center's group just posted this question:

"I am 2 weeks post op and am craving a PBJ. How soon before I can have one?"

Do some people seriously do no research before having this surgery?? lol...lol...lol...lol

Of course my recommendation was to do a shake with PB2 and something fruit flavored to substitute for the jelly flavor, but no, they want a sammich and they want it now! lol

I'm in absolute shock! I have not had surgery yet, waiting on insurance approval. Why would you want to sabotage yourself?

I'm fortunate to have and be part of an awesome support group and when some of them told me there are web sites and blogs on how to cheat I was floored. Now I'm reading posts asking if bacon or alcohol are bad choices within days of surgery? Seriously?!

When I was in my pre-op nutrition class all the questions were about when people could have [insert all the foods that got them fat in the first place] again.

I'm really not a mean person, and I really try hard not to judge, but dang! This wasn't a "will I ever be able to have it again" question. It was a "affirm my decision to go ahead and have it now" type of thing. If it was me, I would at least go for something a little more decadent lol ;)

Edited by anniebanana

Someone in my bariatric center's group just posted this question:

"I am 2 weeks post op and am craving a PBJ. How soon before I can have one?"

Do some people seriously do no research before having this surgery?? lol...lol...lol...lol

It's the "I want what I want when I want it" mentality of society these days. They probably went into WLS thinking it was magically going to prevent them from gaining weight regardless of what they ate. They expect the surgery to have magically cured their eating disorders. Then they'll say "my surgeon screwed up - my surgery didn't work"!

@@KristenLe Exactly!

Yeah, I don't understand wanting peasant food like PB&J.

I was trying to get my Dr to let me have lobster bisque, lol. In the end I looked at the nutrition and decided it wasn't worth it :( I love lobster bisque and I still haven't had any since surgery, I never even think about it.

I think my new thing is going to be to comment on all the posts about food. I just wrote two paragraphs about crackers...so now I'm going to write about PB&J. As a note, I'm 3 years out, I've been at goal for about 18 months, and I've been within 5 pounds of goal for almost two years (it took flipping forever to lose those last 5 pounds).

Guess what I ate last week? An entire box of those awful Smuckers Uncrustables with Peanut Butter and honey. I had major dental work done, everything I ate hurt my face, and those were soft and didn't add to my misery. They were good and I ate all four of them in less than 24 hours. I felt like my old fat self, except the difference between now and then is that I also didn't really eat anything else that day and I have no interest in having them again anytime soon. I didn't gain any weight, and I actually managed to lose a pound during that time, probably because the crackers I usually eat hurt my mouth with all the salt they have on them. You know what else I liked to do? Some days if I feel in the mood for something sweet, I will order the kids PB&J from Panera. I tend to forget about this when I say I don't eat sweets almost ever, but given the fact that I used to have a few Cookies, I'm fine with treating myself to a PB&J once every few weeks.

Three months after surgery I ate my face off in chocolate, I regularly ate half a Panera panini, oozing with cheese, and sometimes I had two TWO!! Starbucks cake pops in a day- within a few months after surgery! I didn't adapt to the way I eat now by cutting everything out immediately. Most days I eat chicken, goldfish, granola bars, and some form of vegetable Soup, but the other day I had Panera corn chowder, and guess what, I didn't get fat, I didn't die, and for once the cream in it didn't make me sick.

No, you shouldn't be eating PB&J two weeks after surgery, but for some people, it does them no good to ban them from certain foods forever because it just makes them want those foods more. My sleeve works for me because I can eat anything I want to and so I no longer have any real interest in things that were once forbidden. What works for one person doesn't work for another and I try very hard to not judge someone else's diet based on my own stomach.

I am now going to eat a handful of Peanut Butter Captain Crunch for Breakfast after I just drank two sugar free Red Bull...because I can and it's good and when I factor in what I eat the rest of the day, it is an entirely appropriate part of a normal day. :)

Loooool @ peasant food

When I was in my pre-op nutrition class all the questions were about when people could have [insert all the foods that got them fat in the first place] again.

I just had my first pre-op NUT class last week. This was my exact experience. I could not believe all the questions regarding when they could eat Pasta, bread, rice, their "momma's brownies", Diet Coke, etc again. I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. I just wanted to scream NEVER. The poor nutritionist was trying hard to keep it together.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Not necessarily stupid when some plans allow for PB at the purée phase. We have to remember everyone's plans from the docs are different, in addition, some people get mixed info from docs, support groups, and online posts. So be kind to those who may have what you consider to be a "stupid" question. We are all going thru this process together and it can be overwhelming to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

one of the reasons I chose the sleeve over other options was the ability to eat other things on occasion. (I do like PB and J on occasion - but haven't had anything like that at this time) it is surprising to me how many people think because they have these wee little incisions on the outside that they are fully healed inside. it takes time people - and I do not want to irritate that healing seam in my stomach and I do not want to waste calories on things like that while I am still trying to loose weight.

but I have worked with and for doctors for a very long time, and perhaps seeing people with other kinds of complications makes me more aware of what a recovery period means? I just hate to see people set themselves up to not succeed like they ought to because they don't seem to understand.

@@higher

Well historically man made carbs are peasant food. They were created to provide lots of cheap energy for labors to work on.

meat has always been expensive, and fruit and vegetables were seasonal and not easily obtained year round around the world. Even if you canned them there were limitations for the average person

A Victorian era laborer needed 6000 calories a day, they got most of that from bread.< /p>