Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heh, so I've noticed I have a habit of making posts where the title is literally just one food item and I just know this will garner a discussion on several foods that are related, but yeah, there's my little introspection for the moment.

Anywho, my guidelines say at week three I can add in crackers, but it specifies non-seeded crackers and non-grains. It suggests saltines and melba toast as examples. What exactly constitutes a "grain" cracker? Would wheat thins fall into that? I'm not a huge fan of saltines but I would like to find some good crackers to have some guac and hummus with. I like wheat thins but I know they run rather salty and I'm not entirely sure if wheat is what they mean by grains. In my mind, I was imagining things like shredded wheat and really fibrous type crackers, but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts? It also suggests corn/flour tortillas and baked tortilla chips so I might try those as well.

Does it maybe say non whole grain crackers? Because pretty much all crackers are made with grains, except for a few oddballs like lentil crackers.

My thoughts? I was not allowed any grains until I had been successfully maintaining for my goal weight for 6 months, so I probably can't offer much advice beyond not eating grains worked very well for me.

Okay, at the risk of being "that guy", I honestly can't believe your program advocates not only eating crackers, but crackers at 3 weeks? Usually it's all we can do to stuff enough Protein into our gullets. How are you going to get enough protein if you're filling your tummy with crackers?

How post op diets have changed over the years! Agreed, I had my sleeve surgery over five years ago, but Lordy! WWWAAAAYYYY back then, I was told to treat crackers like the plague! --forever and ever. :)

I use other bases for my "spreadables" like cuke slices, Tomato wedges, lettuce, peeled apple slices---all depending on how far post op I was.

I will be following your thread, because I find it fascinating to see the differences between the "allowed" foods "back in my day" and what is "allowed" in these new and wonderful modern times.

Good luck in your search. I wish I could have been of some more help to you.

yeah I'd skip the crackers while in weight loss mode....Just my opinion.

Also, I would stay away from the seedy crackers for now. I was told no little seeds for at least 3 months because of them lodging into the staples.

Probably because my program accommodates the fact that you simply cannot get enough Protein through solid foods for quite some time, but you should be eating foods non-the-less? It suggests Protein shakes for well into the third and fourth months and from then on at your discretion. At this stage, especially for me because I find it a chore to eat, I think it's more about getting actual foodstuffs in.

Obviously it suggests keeping all carbs in moderation, but my program does not suggest you eliminate anything unless your stomach just cannot handle it. It's a center of excellence, so obviously they're doing something right and/or know what they're doing. I don't think having the 2-3 crackers it suggests as a piece of my meal will really counter-act the fact that I'm consuming so few calories.

I'm taking this directly from my handbook so they clearly have a different outlook. All I wanted to know was what constitutes a "fibrous, grainy" cracker, not a "for shame" from how all of your programs are structured versus my own. I don't mean this as an attack, but I did explicitly state this is coming from my guidelines, so it's not like I'm just making up stuff in order to eat things I want.

At the risk of sounding like a complainer for getting criticisms, there's my gripe.

@@Bufflehead That's what I was thinking, honestly, is those whole grain crackers that are really dense and fibrous. My book is kind of straight forward but there are pieces that are counter-intuitive and seem to conflict with other things. I guess I'll just have to ask. I'll probably start with tortillas like it says if I want a vehicle for hummus/guacamole since they're much, much softer.

*awaits carb bashing lol*

I hear you.

I get it.

I don't think anyone was shaming you! I don't know what they mean by non grain crackers but I think wheat thins would be too hard/crunchy. You'd probably need something that gets mushy in your mouth. I'd call and get clarification. I would be hard pressed to be able to stop at 2-3 crackers so I will avoid them even if allowed on my plan.

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

Probably because my program accommodates the fact that you simply cannot get enough Protein through solid foods for quite some time, but you should be eating foods non-the-less? It suggests Protein shakes for well into the third and fourth months and from then on at your discretion. At this stage, especially for me because I find it a chore to eat, I think it's more about getting actual foodstuffs in.

Obviously it suggests keeping all carbs in moderation, but my program does not suggest you eliminate anything unless your stomach just cannot handle it. It's a center of excellence, so obviously they're doing something right and/or know what they're doing. I don't think having the 2-3 crackers it suggests as a piece of my meal will really counter-act the fact that I'm consuming so few calories.

I'm taking this directly from my handbook so they clearly have a different outlook. All I wanted to know was what constitutes a "fibrous, grainy" cracker, not a "for shame" from how all of your programs are structured versus my own. I don't mean this as an attack, but I did explicitly state this is coming from my guidelines, so it's not like I'm just making up stuff in order to eat things I want.

At the risk of sounding like a complainer for getting criticisms, there's my gripe.

I just honestly was feigning a bit of surprise at your program allowing crackers and tortillas so early out is all.

But you didn't disappoint with the defensive newby post. I should learn to just expect it now.

Carry on and eat your crackers to your hearts content.

I don't think anyone was shaming you! I don't know what they mean by non grain crackers but I think wheat thins would be too hard/crunchy. You'd probably need something that gets mushy in your mouth. I'd call and get clarification. I would be hard pressed to be able to stop at 2-3 crackers so I will avoid them even if allowed on my plan.

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

Ha, I am barely eating right now so I'm pretty confident I'd be able to stop, lol. I definitely can't eat too much nor do I really want to, but I know I need "something". If that's going to be a carb, it'll be a carb. I make sure and get in Protein everywhere else I possibly can.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I can be defensive...the responses where on a different plane than the question presented. I addressed its acceptability in my plan, so those responses weren't exactly relevant. Appreciated, but irrelevant.

For referencepost-294383-14682032082172_thumb.jpg. It does say whole grains, obviously operative word I missed, I apologize. Don't most crackers of sorts specify if they are whole grain or not?

I was told saltines or club crackers paired with Protein ....I would say wheat thins are a whole grain type cracker