Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NEW RELATIONSHIP AFTER SLEEVE SURGERY

I'm curious....at what point did you tell your girlfriend/boyfriend about your weight loss surgery? What was their reaction good and bad? Why did you tell them when you did?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Nikki Monroe

I am not dating anyone now. When I was about 3 months I started dating. I didn't tell the guy I dated for a while and he never asked me questions even though my eating small amounts when we went out annoyed him (because he was cheap).

So now at a year out, I can eat enough that no one would question if I had surgery. I just seem like a picky eater, because I am a picky eater and I always have been. Or I seem like just someone with a small appetite or something that would really please my Grandmother, I eat like a lady. There is no reason to tell about my surgery because I have basically perfect health and no specialty nutritional needs beyond anyone else that is health conscious.

So if I met someone and was dating them seriously, I wouldn't feel the need to tell them unless we were getting married. The only people that need to know about my health is the person that is my emergency contact and empowered to make medical decision for me, and right now that is my best friend and it will stay that way unless I meet Mr Right.

@@Nikki Monroe

I am not dating anyone now. When I was about 3 months I started dating. I didn't tell the guy I dated for a while and he never asked me questions even though my eating small amounts when we went out annoyed him (because he was cheap).

So now at a year out, I can eat enough that no one would question if I had surgery. I just seem like a picky eater, because I am a picky eater and I always have been. Or I seem like just someone with a small appetite or something that would really please my Grandmother, I eat like a lady. There is no reason to tell about my surgery because I have basically perfect health and no specialty nutritional needs beyond anyone else that is health conscious.

So if I met someone and was dating them seriously, I wouldn't feel the need to tell them unless we were getting married. The only people that need to know about my health is the person that is my emergency contact and empowered to make medical decision for me, and right now that is my best friend and it will stay that way unless I meet Mr Right.

I definitely understand and respect that. The guy I am dating now notices my small appetite. I always give him half of what I am eating or he notices I don't always finish my food. He made the comment the other day about being "concerned" that I wasn't eating enough food. I told him I was but that I just eat a little more often. Makes me feel like that conversation may have to happen sooner than I anticipated.

I am slowly entering the dating world. My plan is that if after a few dates I see the possibility of something long term then i will tell them. I feel this is something they will need to know if we are to be in a long term relationship.

I anticipate some questions but since a lot of things revolve around food i woukd defiantly want them to know. Ideally I woukd love to meet someone who was also sleeved.

@@Nikki Monroe

I definitely understand and respect that. The guy I am dating now notices my small appetite. I always give him half of what I am eating or he notices I don't always finish my food. He made the comment the other day about being "concerned" that I wasn't eating enough food. I told him I was but that I just eat a little more often. Makes me feel like that conversation may have to happen sooner than I anticipated.

How much time do you spend with him? Like have you spent a whole day or a weekend with him?

A lot of people think I don't eat much until they spend a day with me and I eat all damn day. :D I eat every 2-3 hours. When people see that, they don't comment anymore, because you are eating more often than they are.

Thank you everyone one for your opinions and the financial tips! LOL! They are respected and appreciated. I did tell the guy I was dating and now in a serious relationship in last night. I decided to wait until we were official and I told him even sooner because now I have to have my gallbladder removed and he wants to be there with me. I didn't want him finding out in the hospital about my sleeve and being shocked and confused. He was BEYOND very supportive and said that it didn't changed how he felt or viewed me at all. All he wanted to know is why did I make the decision to have the surgery and once I gave him my reason, he was fine with it and understood. I asked him if he had any questions related to the actual surgery and he said he didn't need to know. He just needed me to know that he is still here with me and not going anywhere. I'm glad I told him and it took a huge weight off of my shoulders. You never know how people will react or if they will say something that will turn you off and ultimately end things but it was perfect for me!