Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Product: Kodiak Cakes

They have too many carbs for bariatric patients.

Powercakes-label-253x1024.jpg

The Bob's Red Mill Low Carb bake mix makes good pancakes for a far lower carb count.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/low-carb-baking-mix.html

Or you can make pancakes with

http://www.eatmeguiltfree.com/collections/diy-mix/products/blondie-brownie-diy-mix

for only 3 net carbs.

A better option with nothing special required are cream cheese pancakes. Even the banana pancakes people post about have too carbs,

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html

Top them with some calorie free

http://www.waldenfarms.com/products/syrup_pancake.html

I wasn't aware that there was some specific prohibition or restriction on carbs for people who have had a gastric sleeve. Could you please provide some basis for this assertion that people who have been sleeved cannot eat carbs or have to severely restrict their carb intake?

My understanding is that there is a slow introduction of solid foods following the surgery in order to allow your stomach to recover. After that point, what you eat and don't eat is really up to you. Some people might choose a carb restricted diet because that is easier for them to lose weight or keep it off.

The challenge of life post-sleeve is to find a healthier way of eating, never eating carbs again or replacing real food with frankenfood that has fewer calories is not necessarily a long-term or sustainable solution. I think that eating pancakes topped with some butter and real maple Syrup would be a perfectly acceptable once in a while meal for anyone sleeved or otherwise.

"@@Oak Park Lorena" I would be willing to bet that most people who are successful (and maintaining at goal) eat a lower carb diet. In the initial weight loss phase - it's important to focus on Protein. Of course you can choose to eat whatever you want but I look to the successful vets for advice.

Alternatives are great because even in maitenance my nut is anti white flour

I will look for Bobs, the label you pasted has 30g carbs but only 6 are accounted for, what is the rest?

@@chycky

That isn't the label for Bob's but when you see a label and it lists the Fiber you can subtract the fiber and the rest are just useless carbs from the flour and the sugar. So the net carbs for those Kodak pancakes are 25.

The Bob's has 8 net carbs. You subtract the fiber because you body isn't supposed to process the fiber, it just goes as waste. In Europe they do net carbs on labels, but not in America, mainly because of the lobbyists.

I still think the cream cheese are the best option and if you add a little coconut flour to them you can get a little puff from them. The Bob's would be good if you were making pancakes for the while family once in a while and you wanted something everyone could eat.

If you are low carb eating, it is good to use net carbs because you need some carbs in the form of fiber, but those carbs should come from green veggies, not flour even "whole wheat" flour. Oat flour is a little better on your body because you body processes it slower. Still when we think fiber and carbs we should think veggies not flour.

I think low carb or no carb depends on what your nutritionist says and on your type of diet. I eat carbs. I try to stay around a hundred grams to one twenty grams a day. If I go over 140 I gain. If I go under one hundred I lose a couple of pounds. When o was in weight loss mode I stayed around 100. Most of my carbs are in veggie or fruit form, although I have a whole wheat English muffin every morning.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Wendyfm what are your net carbs if you subtract the fiber? If you are just getting carbs from veggies and fruits, you are probably way under 100 net carbs.

Maybe, never tried to subtract it and there are the occasional brown rice, sweet potato or barley days. Maybe once or twice a week and then I occasionally have Protein bars, so not perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@beyondgrief

Here is a link for some bariatric friendly recipes. I love cooking and trying new things.

http://insidekarenskitchen.com/bariatric-friendly-recipes/

Wishing you the best,

Jenn

@@Oak Park Lorena

you are 2 years out. Your plan may look different than someone who is new to weight loss mode.

My dieticians plan was to add carbohydrates after I lost 75% of my weight. Carbohydrates were added to slow down weight loss or stop it to maintain my weight.

"I think that eating pancakes topped with some butter and real maple Syrup would be a perfectly acceptable once in a while meal for anyone sleeved or otherwise"

It's all about choices and being healthy. No one is forcing you to do anything. The only one who has to be happy with your results is you.

Here is what a bariatric plate looks like after 75% weight loss.

4648.jpg

Thanks for the links @Jenn1. I am on the app but if I remember correctly OP is still pre-op. I could be wrong.

I don't see eating low carb as a punishment. I enjoy it and I have for years long before surgery, and will for the rest of my life. I find it encourages better btain function and facilities greater mental clarity, it is a life and body hack.

I enjoy finding substitutes or better options for things and I think it is important to have a range of options to be successful.

Everyones is free to whatever they want.

Didn't mean to start a debate on if this was acceptable, rather just point out pancakes that have a Protein value. So sorry.

Working beyond grief for a better life!

Didn't mean to start a debate on if this was acceptable, rather just point out pancakes that have a Protein value. So sorry.

Working beyond grief for a better life!

My intent wasn't to debate just offer other options for people reading the thread.

Most programs post op don't allow for items with that many carbs in the losing phase. Carbs 2 to 1 to Protein are usually a no no, especially with that little Fiber.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside