Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi!

I'm 5 weeks out and starting to get more active. I'm a huge videogames fan and I just started to play the new Pokemon Go game in my phone and I'm quite impressed with the game but also with how much I'm walking because of this!!!! The more that you walk around the more Pokémons you can find!!!! So for all you nerdies out there that want to step up your exercise, I totally recommend this game! Good luck and catch'em all!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by lolarose13

I think I heard this mentioned but am not really familiar with the game. How does it work?

Pokémon Go is a free-to-play augmented reality mobile game for iOS and Android devices. The game allows players to capture, battle, train, and trade virtual Pokémon who appear throughout the real word. What makes this game unique is that it uses your phone’s location services and camera so that you can catch Pokémon in real life. That is, when you walk around the streets of whatever city or town you live in, your avatar moves inside the game. So finding new Pokémon and checkpoints for the game actually requires you to get off the couch and walk down the block. Also, different Pokémon live in different areas of the world; for example, water-type Pokémon are found near Water. Right now I'm in San Diego and I got some cool ocean-type Pokémons!

Here is a quide of how you play super simple!

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/pokemon-go-beginners-guide-catching-battling-and-everything-you-need-know-544262

Oh I am loving it! I'm frustrated that I can't get out in my neighborhood to walk, though. I live in a really rough neighborhood, plus pedestrian safety here is pretty bad (like 3 people have been hit and killed within a .5 mile radius in the last year - 2 of them were not at fault). And yes, I do go out walking all the time, I just go to nice air conditioned malls where I don't have to worry about getting run over or shot or something.

I live right outside of DC and driving by it earlier today I saw SO many nodes. I want to spend a few days just walking around the city and catching EVERYTHING. I'm so behind. The "Gym" across the street from me is run by someone with all 600+CP pokemon and my highest is like 150 (lol).

The game is great for exercise and walking and I'm glad to see a video game company do something to get kids moving around.

Gotta catch 'em all?

I've been reading about this app on the myfitnesspal forums.

I cannot wait to try it out and show my 9 year old. I played Pokemon up into my early 20's , and now my son does. He loves playing my old games. I'm hoping it'll help him want to be outside more. Although I have to admit, it's hard for me to even want to be outside during the summer in southwest Louisiana. Lol

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Although this seems like a great motivator for getting exercise, it might have some downsides:

Today in the news - four teens in the St. Louis area were using "Pokemon Go" to lure victIms to a specific spot so they could rob them. They did this by planting a "beacon" to draw players to that specific spot. Apparently the suspects may have been involved in in nearly a dozen robberies around St. Louis. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/11/missouri-police-say-4-teens-used-pokemon-go-to-rob-people.html

In yesterday's news - a Wyoming teen playing 'Pokemon Go' discovers body face down in river. No foul play was suspected. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/10/wyoming-teen-playing-pokemon-go-discovers-body-face-down-in-river.html

Then a few days earlier - one of the risks is that the player in his/her enthusiasm for playing the game may not be paying attention and walk into things (doors, moving cars, cracks in the sidewalk) and get injured. http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/07/08/players-in-hunt-for-pokemon-go-monsters-feel-real-world-pain.html

Glad you said this James. I was just seeing same on the news.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

The last one makes me laugh... How about play the game and watch where ur walking...

The dead body one wasn't a set up it was a fluke and the top one well that's just horrible and I hope the people caught and nobody was hurt