Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 years post-op, thinking about Overstitch revision

Hi all! I haven't been on in forever. I was sleeved on 7/28/10 so I'm almost 6 years out. I have lost a total of 95lbs and just within the past year gained back 15-20. Lowest weight was 180 and now fluctuate in the high 190s. I have an appt in two weeks to discuss the Overstitch procedure. I had never heard of it until I requested a referral to a bariatric center to discuss a revision to my sleeve. I'm not finding a lot of information so I'm reaching out to see if anyone has this procedure and what their experience has been. I have about 40 more lbs to lose to reach a healthy weight.

I absolutely love my sleeve and have had no complications. Feel free to ask any questions or leave feedback about the Overstitch procedure.

Thanks!!

First off never heard of this procedure. Second if you gained weight on the sleeve was is it due to not following the program? What do you think would change having a new surgery? So I am a month post op sleeve. Down 55 lbs including pre op weight loss. Must say thought the weigh would be flying off fast. 15lbs this past month. Guess that is not so bad. Anyway I am militant following directions for most part. Have a bit of caffeine and accidently drank from a straw a few times. Drink Water, eat 1/4 cup Protein meals 3 xs a day and walk. Just asking because really what do I know? Do you feel like your pouch is stretched? Can you eat a lot again? Sorry for questioning you really curious. Thanks for sharing. Michele

Sent from my LGLS990 using the BariatricPal App

I think you did great for 6 years and close to maintaing it but what do you think made you gain back weight are you eating carbs sugar?

@@LapGyrl

I'm 4 years post op. Sleeve

I've never heard of an overstitch. Can you tell me more about it? I'm curious.

I also had some regain issues. In the last two month I buckled down and am only 6lbs away from my lowest weight now.

Once I started making sure to eat Protein dense meals again I found that my restriction is still great, considering I'm four years out. I can still only eat 3-4oz of Protein at a time. I had also got out of the habit of logging my food, weighing it, etc. I'm back to doing all that and the weight is coming off steadily.

Is your restriction not as good anymore? To me, it just seems kind of drastic of have another surgery for a 15-20lb regain (that's just my opinion).

And congratulations on your success! You've done well! My inbox is always open if you want to talk.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Wolfgirl78

First congrats. Secondly, I agree it seems a little drastic to have another surgery for 15-20lbs. Look, I am not the best sleeved person. However, I believe in hope and the power of choice each day. In August my sleeve will be 2 years old. I am still learning how to get the best out of her. I spent 13 years killing my body with my food choices. Only in the last 30 months did I truly start to use my mind before eating. It sounds like you can do this just by utilizing your greatest tool "your mind" in conjuction with your second greatest tool "your 6 year old sleeve." But, It is your choice and body. Best to you and keep reaching out.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

I found a video for us that don't knw what it is maybe this might help.

Banded on April-2012 converted to sleeve 6/15/16 Miami,Fl 33yrs/F /5'6"

highest weight 300s in 2002-03

lowest weight 193 in 2014

I think it is all in how you follow the program I catch myself over eating because it tastes good and I am only 1 year and 2 months out . But I have lost almost 200 lbs too including my pre surgery diet. My stomach hurts when I do this and I can't do this with meat only soft food which isn't good anyway because most soft stuff is loaded with carbs . What I am getting at is watch what you eat and it will fall off you can go backwards quick . I need some help myself to get back on track I have been told to go back on my liquid diet and my stomach would relax back to what it was after surgery . Then stay on track ? Anyone try this yet

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

Edited because I obviously can't say one thing anymore without completely offending people.

I'm done responding to posts.

You all can Celebrate now.

I was asking if this would work not give your conceded butt advise I was looking for support thanks alot . I have never ran into a rude person on here till now. I have found through life even the newest person on a job or anything in life can teach you something have an open mind. Give help don't criticise people. I have had enough of that all my life dealing with being over weight. I am sorry I offended you by asking for help

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

@@chele367 When I was newly post op as you are, I followed the instructions of my doctor and nutritionist. As the years passed, I was not so strict. At about 3 or 4 years post op I stopped waiting the appropriate time to drink before and after meals. I now drink with meals as I did pre op. I mainly eat chicken and seafood. I always keep Protein powder in pantry but do not drink one daily. Those are some of the main changes. I can eat more now than I could newly post op but not nearly as much as before surgery. I feel that my pouch has stretched in that aspect but with a little more restriction, I may be able to get a handle on Portion Control again. Hope I answered all your questions! Good luck and congrats on your success thus far. Hang in there. Weight loss may be slow but it adds up. Trust me lol.

@@Jesm1029 Yes unfortunately I did start eating carbs and sugar again. About a year ago I started clean eating (which cuts out a lot of carbs and sugar) and I lost 15lbs. I wasn't able to stick to it strictly but I believe changing my diet is why I haven't gained back a ton of weight. I use splenda as a lower calorie option.

@@Wolfgirl78 I actually have 40lbs I would like to lose. I was maintaining in the 180s (low 190s on a bad day) for a few years and now I'm averaging 200. I'm seeing a slow increase instead of loss so I want to take action before I gain even more weight. Although I'm considered a success because I lost 80lbs, I never reached my goal so that's what I'm hoping to achieve.

I had not heard of this procedure either. I had to youtube and google it but found some good information. The surgeon goes down the esophagus to the stomach to make it more narrow with stitches. I like that there are no incisions and is considered a safer procedure than laproscopy. Some patients can be discharge the same day. Look up Apollo Overstitch to see the video of the sleeve revision. There are several different techniques for the different types of weight loss surgeries.

@@LadyK44 Thanks for the encouragement! I also spoke to the bariatric center about a doctor supervised diet so I will discuss that at the appointment as well. I'm just a little frustrated because I've been working out, got a trainer, modified my diet, but haven't seen any real results. I think I am fairly fit as I completed a 5K the other week so I'm not sure how I can get these last 40lbs off. I'm always open for advice!

@@SiSSi829 Did you mean to post a link to the video? I don't see anything. It's probably the one from the Apollo company that is posted on Youtube. Let me know what you found. Thanks!

I never made it to my original goal either. Like I stated earlier I'm now 6lbs away from my lowest weight and 9 until goal weight, so I have 15lbs left to go. However, my overall weight I wanted to lose is 44lbs. I've lost 29 since April. It just took some discipline to get back into the habits I made that first year post op. I'm finding its like riding a bike though, and now that im back into the swing of things, it's become habit to weigh, measure and log my food.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide!

@@LapGyrl

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Wolfgirl78