Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ugh... why the hell did I do that?

Dude. I'm MexItalian. Your hottest is sugary sweet. ;) Bring it.

Pfft, I'm a stupid male that can't accept defeat. No matter how badly I would pay for it, I'd win the contest!

In all seriousness though, my limit is 300K scoville. That's getting to the additive level. Habenero, Ghost peppers and everything like that though is my candy. You say Mexitalian I think jalapenos and crushed red peppers. Pfft. ;)

Dude. I'm MexItalian. Your hottest is sugary sweet. ;) Bring it.

Pfft, I'm a stupid male that can't accept defeat. No matter how badly I would pay for it, I'd win the contest!

In all seriousness though, my limit is 300K scoville. That's getting to the additive level. Habenero, Ghost peppers and everything like that though is my candy. You say Mexitalian I think jalapenos and crushed red peppers. Pfft. ;)

Whatevssss...

I'd continue this verbal sparring/camaraderie but certain members here get all offended when us "others" have a bit of fun.

Jeeeezus.

We can talk about how hot we are elsewhere. ;)

@@Seagull - Can't speak for Lipstick, but I can tolerate the hottest hot sauce at any restaurant no problem. It's only the fried breading that is the problem.

I get these wings (when pre surgery) so hot I would get the hiccups

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Your story reminds me of my unfortunate escapade with a donut on National Donut Day. I lost my appetite for about five days after eating that thing. Even now, just the thought of it makes me nauseous. I would say I have full on aversion to donuts now. Blech.

I cannot eat anything fried anymore. It doesn't agree with me at all. Sometimes I forget that I was on vacation in Wisconsin a couple weeks ago. My boyfriend and I went to eat at this restaurant called the safehouse ( I totally recommend it if you're ever in Milwaukee !) He ordered fried cheese curds as an appetizer. I had three pieces and got sick to my stomach, per my usual fried food reaction.

As fas as wings I can only eat three wings. Also, like lipstick lady, breaded ones will come back up.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Wolfgirl78

For me, it is Chinese food that really hurts me. My husband went out last night and brought home take out. This place has the best egg rolls ever. They are filled with shrimp, pork and chicken and of course the usual veggies.

I tried 2 bites of an egg roll and my stomach just turned. I could not eat anything after that. I ended up having a Greek yogurt a little later.

I usually have a couple of steamed chicken or shrimp potstickers and those Sitwell with me but I could not manage it last night after those two bites of egg roll.

Then of course my husband has drilled it into his head that he needs to eat whatever I don't. He gains weight and wonders why. I gently try to help him understand that he doesn't need to clean his plate or fill it that full in the first place and he certainly does not need to eat my left overs.

I won't be doing that again anytime soon.

@@BigViffer,

Thanks for sharing your experience! You are right that it can be really helpful for newbies and veterans alike to know that someone as successful as you still makes mistakes and recovers from them.

I think the occasional … um… poor decision … can be very helpful and even necessary, too. Sometimes, for me, I get into a pattern of feeling a bit like I have to say “No” to so many foods. When I finally give in and have something junky, I realize it really wasn’t all that great.

You handled it perfectly, in my opinion, by recognizing it and moving on. I think it is also worth noting how far you’ve come. 42 wings??? Somewhere around 4,000 calories? And now your big splurge is 600 calories? Nice. :)

It was a beautiful (albeit hot) day today and after I got my 6 miles in for the day, I decided to take my daughters up to a local wing festival. Needless to say the place was so incredibly packed that I did not stay! We ended up just going to BW3's. I haven't been to one of these places for a long time. I didn't order anything except an unsweetened ice tea. My girls however had the fried cheese curds and some hot boneless wings.

The food actually smelled really good, and I figured since I had over 25 miles on the elliptical this week that it wouldn't be too bad if I tried some of it. I had a few curds and 6 small chicken chunks. By the time we left the restaurant, I was full on nauseous. I mean serious drool and green pallor and everything. It wasn't dumping, I know that one. This was just food that doesn't like me. I looked up the nutrition on the BW3's website and I had well over 600 calories in that totally unsatisfying meal.

I remember my record. I once ate 42 wings. I literally am disgusted at that thought and I swear, I am never going to eat that crap again. This is one of the few instances where you can never go home and thank goodness for that!

So whats my rant? My rant is that I was stupid enough to eat something I know is not a part of my plan and all week long we have been talking about eating poorly. However I will say straight out that at a year and half out I am not in danger. So if any newbie sees this, take heart. Even us veterans can be stupid.

Newbie here... I'm curious. So, what caused your stomach to have the reaction, do you think? It's a small amount, so was it because the food is fried, or because it was too large an amount, or just something you can't tolerate anymore, even in small amounts?

I absolutely HATE throwing up or feeling nauseous... I'm trying to soak up all the knowledge on how to avoid this. My thinking is that if you are so far away from your surgery you wouldn't get sick by such a small amount. Just curious!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

ewbie here... I'm curious. So, what caused your stomach to have the reaction, do you think? It's a small amount, so was it because the food is fried, or because it was too large an amount, or just something you can't tolerate anymore, even in small amounts?

Oh I know exactly what it was. I have eaten far more than that before with no ill effects. These were breaded and fried. So they held more of the fat from the fryer. Fat is not always bad of course, Peanut Butter and avocado being just two fats that are not bad that come to mind. My wife has had fried chicken with no ill effects, but I will not risk it again that is for damn sure. It's going to be unique to the individual.

So far fried chicken and real ham (not lunchmeat) are the only things that I really miss from before surgery. I don't miss the Pasta and potatoes like I thought I would. But the chicken and ham? That hurts!

I think it's just natural that we get cocky occasionally, and think: Oh, I can handle this, just this once. For awhile rice and Pasta starting sneaking back into my diet but after dealing with the after-effects a few times, I slapped myself on the forehead, called myself an idiot, and started saying no again. I'm sure I'll screw up again, sometime, only human, but it's no fun, for sure!!

Glad to see many of us are open to evolving "what works" with food.

Even after years and years, some foods don't work or taste off and I no longer include them.

And still. No big portions.

Thank you WLS