Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was told to ONLY look at the fat (less than 5g), carbs (less than 10g) and Protein (at least 15g) for the liquid/foods I'm eating. What are some other things I should look for? I feel like I should look at more than just fat, carbs and Protein. What about sugar, sodium and others? What kind of guidelines do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was told to ONLY look at the fat (less than 5g), carbs (less than 10g) and Protein (at least 15g) for the liquid/foods I'm eating. What are some other things I should look for? I feel like I should look at more than just fat, carbs and Protein. What about sugar, sodium and others? What kind of guidelines do you use?

I primarily look at protein, carbs, and fat.

If you avoid processed foods, then you won't have to worry too much about sodium. But, eating processed foods can definitely give you too much sodium.

My surgeon also advised me to completely avoid high fructose corn Syrup.< /p>

I was told by my dietician NOT to stick to low fat. My calorie intake is low so they just want me to eat from all food groups. Not to count calories, Protein, carbs etc. Just to eat a varied diet.

Sent from my SM-G935F using the BariatricPal App

Edited by madadams

Your guidelines represent all the macro nutrients of food. Sugar is a carbohydrate. If you follow these guidelines and make reasonably good food choices (complex carbs versus simple carbs) then there isn't a lot more that you need to worry about.

I think that's reasonable as a way to boil down the studying of grocery labels to just 3 figures, so it depends on how much you want to look at - sounds like you don't mind a little more...

I try to straight up minimize:

- Sugar

- Starchy carbs without Fiber (like in white rice, potatoes, Pasta, white bread ...)

- Trans fat

- Saturated fat

And hold down:

- sodium

I look to maximize:

- Vitamins - amounts and variety

- Soluble Fiber

- Insoluble fiber

- Protein

And get reasonable amounts of:

- mono and poly unsaturated fats

- Calcium

I don't worry about

- nonsweet carbs with lots of fiber, especially soluble fiber - oatmeal, Beans, whole grain breads and unsweetened whole grain cereals

I wouldn't say I try to minimize calories - still need those, but I am careful with foods dense in calories - the obvious ones being sausage, bacon, full fat dairy and cheese, chocolate, ice cream, etc, but also with healthy fats like nuts - I easily eat too many so seldom buy those.

And within these boundaries I still try to get good variety and things I will enjoy of course! I am not a whole foods purist, but I do try to get some fresh fruits and veggies in every day and to eat a variety of them so as to get a full spectrum of minerals, Vitamins and beneficial phytochemicals...summer is the best for fresh produce and local produce when I can get it!

@ Charley 27

How far out from surgery are you?

Why is it that we need to do stay so low on fat? I eat nuts as a snack and they're pretty high in fat but good for us. Just curious

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I choose low fat meats and dairy (sometimes) but don't necessarily limit fats, especially good fats.

Those are what my nut told us to look at also. If we stay away from processed we should be pretty okay on the other.

@ Charley 27

How far out from surgery are you?

I'll be two weeks on in two days

Why is it that we need to do stay so low on fat? I eat nuts as a snack and they're pretty high in fat but good for us. Just curious

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I was never told to stay low fat. Just the opposite. Fat does not make you fat. Your body needs fat to function and it helps with feeling full and satisfied. The only thing with nuts is they are calorie dense for a very small serving. If I eat nuts I make sure to absolutely weigh out my portion

My plan says 13-15 grams of sugar per meal. You won't feel well if you have too much. Avoid most of the "fake" or disguised sugars. More than 5g of fat should be okay since we're allowed nuts, cheese, etc. I stick to Fairlife FF milk for coffee and GENEPRO Protein unflavored for my yogurt, oatmeal, tea, yams and coffee.

Edited by auntiem0502