Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My work here is done

We will miss you.

I'm a newbie and i know the importance of WISDOM. I won't make any excuses for bacon lover but i pray that all elders keep spreading the knowledge and help us so we don't make any bad decissions. I was reluctant to join this app but once i did....i read it every day and it has help me deal with a lot situations and i avoided a lot. Dont give up on us because bacon lover ...love bacon and couldn't handle the truth.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I missed the bacon thread. Probably skipped it because I knew what it would be about. I'm not here to help those who don't want it. I am here to help those who are terrified of the new life they are starting because I was in those shoes back in December 2012 as I waited to get my lap band. I expected to fail and eat myself to death. Instead I've gotten my life back and am grateful every day to those vets on these boards who helped me in a way that no one in the surgeon's office possibly could.

I won't let stupid win and I hope you reconsider @Kindle. As you can see by the posts, there are more like us than those who look to fail. Please don't go.

Liz

This is why it ends up only being newbies. *sigh*

I am going for surgery in August and you guys are saying you're not going to be there. I am a follower of rules and I need and want to make this work. I know it will take work from me. Please do not leave. I understand your disgust with that post, but there are those of us out here who need to talk to you and people like you, who speak reality, not crap. Please stick around in some fashion.

Sent from my SM-T800 using the BariatricPal App

I read the bacon ordeal. To me, it wasn't just the fact of eating a piece of bacon. But, I'm not sure what kind of response they were expecting by posting it on a board full of people who are struggling to make healthier choices and positive lifestyle changes. Did they expect support? A pat on the back and "it's ok"? If you eat something that unhealthy, don't come on here unless you want help getting on the right path. Otherwise, just go tell those people in your life who think you were crazy for getting the surgery in the first place.

I personally appreciated the bluntness of your respnse. I typically avoid social media like the plague, but I came here to learn from others.

Sent from my SM-N900T using the BariatricPal App

This is why it ends up only being newbies. *sigh*

Pretty much on every WLS forum, they end up only being people considering, people who just had surgery and people less than a year. There are very few people that stick around long term. At first I thought it was because people are enjoying their new thinner life, but now as I am not just an observer, but almost a year out from surgery I realize it is more of a mix of enjoying life and tried of beating your head against a brick wall.

There is so much good information to gain here from successful people. Really successful people, not just people that lost the expect average weight but people who get to normal BMIs and maintain them. That is really very rare on most WLS forums. I was surprised when I first started reading here the number of people that are successful and really successful. It has changed my long term goal in my mind of what I think I can obtain with my WLS. There are so many good tips to pick up if people read and pay attention.

So it's very obvious the new newbies want nothing to do with hearing what successful WLS patients have to say. The recent debate over the the eating bacon 1 week postop makes it perfectly clear that what they want is for someone to tell them it's OK to be stupid. They are not interested in listening to their surgeons or nuts or veterans. Self sabotage is the new fad and compliance is apparently out of style. I made the mistake of responding to the post when, as a veteran, I should have known better. Turns out I'm just a big meanie (no surprise there!) At this point it's 95% newbies posting on that thread who don't have a clue what the long term repercussions of eating off plan so soon will lead to. The blind leading the blind.

Oh well. It will be interesting to see the stats of successful EWL go down over the next few years as more and more unprepared, uncommitted people continue to have WLS. In the meantime, I'm outa here. The newbies won. As hard as it is to tear my eyes away from the car wreck, I just can't take anymore people that do stupid **** and then whine about getting their feelings hurt. Someone PM me when the grown ups start joining again.

I'm a newbie who will gladly take your advice! Lol... ???? please stick around!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

@@Kindle As a newbie/pre-op - it's disappointing that you will not be around to offer your words of wisdom and advice! It's truly a shame that it has come to this - but I don't blame you at all! I didn't read the entire bacon thread but can only imagine the comments and crying "bully"! I don't know what people are thinking eating that early post-op- hungry or not! One day someone is going to cause a serious complication by eating off-plan. Thank you for your help - I always appreciated it and hope you come back at some point.

Edited by KristenLe

Just another symptom of the spread of reason- and fact-resistant humans. Dumbass "folk wisdom" and vaccine-deniers are making the country stupid(-er).

Perhaps we can create dummy forums and lure them to those instead? Like a "VSG and Essential Oils" forum? ;-) "VSG, One Weird Trick to lose weight faster," "VSG and GMOs," "VSG and Chemtrails".

"When all is said and done, usually more has been said than done. "

Edited by Fredbear

I will miss you Kindle your advice was always sound and made sense at least to newbie that wanted to be compliant and successful. I feel sorry for this new class of newbies.

Damn! Is there some secret place for snarky vets? I want an invite! Sigh

I'll have to admit that my posts are not as prolific as they used to be. It is discouraging to respond to a newbie or even some one six months out who reveals a serious indiscretion and then calls me a "goody two shoes" for giving a sane and medically sound response. For the most part, I have passed the torch on to those who have been around about a year. At 2 1/2 years I don't feel so appreciated. Hopefully, there will be enough newbies who are serious enough with this to take their teams' recommendations. A lot of the veterans' success is due to following doctor's orders. There is nothing magic about it.

Dear vets,

While I can't make up your mind for you, I ask you to please not leave the forum where your sound advice and experience is appreciated by many of us "newbies." We may not be the ones who are spouting off in ridiculous threads, but we are reading, searching, and listening to your advice. I don't post much, but I read a lot and I've learned so much. I've also learned to filter out the voices who don't make sense.

Unfortunately, when someone doesn't want to listen to advice, it's easy to play the victim, accuse others of being "bullies", and generally, act the fool.

Rest assured, many of us out here appreciate the honest approach. I didn't have this surgery to fall back into old habits. It takes a mindset shift that frankly, some people are unwillingly to make.

So, vets, thank you. If you choose to leave, best of luck to you as you continue this journey.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App