Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting over with the band..

I got banded in 12/07, and long story short, I did great for the first 6 months - quickly dropping 60 lbs. from a combination of following the rules to the letter, eating right, and working out 5 days a week. I plateaued around the 6 months mark when my working out became inconsistent, and I didn't push myself because I felt very comfortable at the weight I was at that point. Over the next couple of years, those 60 lbs. stayed off.

A whole lot of other stuff happened in my life in the following years including getting married in 2010 and having kids. Before kids, though, as newlyweds, I got pregnant and the result was a partial molar pregnancy - basically, I drew the statistical nightmare short straw that day. I ended up getting referred to a gynecological oncologist with a diagnosis of gestational trophoblastic disease, also called choriocarcinoma, a rare but highly treatable form of cancer. Over the course of months, I had countless testing done, lots of lab work, and 7 rounds of methotrexate shots. It wasn't until 7 months after first finding out I was pregnant, that my HCG (pregnancy hormone) finally hit negative, indicating that the cancerous tissue in my uterus was eliminated - and right before starting a much stronger chemo drug, thankfully.

So, during those 7 months, I kind of lost myself. I gained 30 lbs., and I joke that it's because I spent those 7 months stuffing my face to avoid having to speak at countless parties, BBQs, get-togethers, and events where we were bombarded by pregnancy announcement after pregnancy announcement by friends.. but honestly, I was depressed and grieving, and isolating myself from most of my friends because I was internalizing all of what I was dealing with. Even now, only about 4 people outside of our parents knew about what we were dealing with.

A year after my HCG hit negative, I got pregnant, resulting in an easy pregnancy, an awesome labor, and a healthy baby boy. I gained 20 lbs. with that pregnancy, and by the time I was 5 months post-partum, I had taken off 28 lbs., so I was feeling confident about getting back on track with the band. Then, surprise! As my son hit 6 months old, I found out I was pregnant with baby #2. During that pregnancy, I gained back all of the weight I had lost, plus some, putting me about 10 lbs. below my consultation weight when I first got my band.

After my daughter was born, right before I went back to work, I visited the bariatric surgeon's office and had all of the remaining Fluid in my band taken out - maybe 8ccs, or something? I can't remember - because I was getting stuck all the time, and I felt confident that I could eat clean, work out regularly, and take the weight back off. He made an off-the-cuff comment about, "Most people think that, and they're wrong. Only 20% succeed." I thought, I'll be that 20 percent.

Buuuuuuuut I'm not.

I joined an awesome gym almost a year ago where I've developed a love for weight lifting and kickboxing, and I'm surrounded by other regulars who love to do OCR events, and eventually, I'd like to try a Spartan trifecta. But in the past year, I've been trying different things to see the scale reflect a lower number - low-carb, carb-cycling, cutting out processed foods and sugar, tracking/weighing everything religiously - and I am still lingering very close to my pre-op start weight. I can see my body composition changing in certain ways thanks to weight lifting.. my shoulders and upper arms are slowly becoming more defined, my quads and lower half is different, too; but my mid-section stays the same, even in terms of inches. And that pendulum of weight holds me back from box jumps, from completing Olympic lifts, from attempting OCRs (I can't imagine pulling my own body weight over a 12 ft. wall.. at least not right now), etc.; and enough is enough.

So, I called up the bariatric surgeon's office and made an appointment to come in and talk with someone about getting back on board with the band. I haven't seen them since 2014, and since then, their practice has split and restructured. I'm hoping I can get in sooner through a cancellation (otherwise, mid-August it is..), but in the meantime, I'm going to be revisiting the binder of information from my surgeon from when I had my surgery almost 10 years ago, and trying to reconnect on here.

Anyone else going through something similar? I feel like a total newbie all over again!

Thanks for letting me reintroduce myself! :)

Edited by secretstolen

I'm not in the same boat, but I just wanted to wish you the best and tell you that your post is full of hope and inspirational. I'm rooting for you!!

JustWatchMe

HI Secret,

I was banded in Feb, 2008 and I am now a revision to RNY as of 10/5/2016. It took me 2.5 years to lose 80 pounds with the band, and now, at 9 months out from RNY, I am down to 142 (69 pounds down and almost to goal). I will say good luck to you, you will need it - and using your word - BUUUUUTTT - my surgeon says that it is not a matter of "if" but a matter of "when" that it comes out. It is a foreign object and might cause problems for you in the future. My mother had her's out 3 years after getting banded. She ended up with an erosion. And as of 2 weeks ago also had a revision to RNY. It would be cool if it does work for you long term. I can eat better now. SALADS, chicken, beef. Happy days! Good luck to you :-)

I'm not in the same boat, but I just wanted to wish you the best and tell you that your post is full of hope and inspirational. I'm rooting for you!!

JustWatchMe

Aw, thank you!! I appreciate it. :)

HI Secret,

I was banded in Feb, 2008 and I am now a revision to RNY as of 10/5/2016. It took me 2.5 years to lose 80 pounds with the band, and now, at 9 months out from RNY, I am down to 142 (69 pounds down and almost to goal). I will say good luck to you, you will need it - and using your word - BUUUUUTTT - my surgeon says that it is not a matter of "if" but a matter of "when" that it comes out. It is a foreign object and might cause problems for you in the future. My mother had her's out 3 years after getting banded. She ended up with an erosion. And as of 2 weeks ago also had a revision to RNY. It would be cool if it does work for you long term. I can eat better now. SALADS, chicken, beef. Happy days! Good luck to you :-)

Heyyyyy, congrats on your weight loss!! That's awesome!! :D

I'm hopeful that my band's okay, but yeah.. the more I've been reading, the more I'm preparing myself for that possibility. A friend of mine who was banded had hers removed and had the sleeve done, and she hit her goal weight and was much more successful with that. She was getting stuck on sips of Water with the band!

Yay for being able to eat better, too! I can't remember a lot of specific foods causing problems with me getting stuck, but I also stopped being diligent about chewing well, about not drinking fluids with meals, and so forth.

Congrats again on your weight loss, though! That is such a great accomplishment, and so much hard work and dedication!! And good luck to your mom! I hope the post-op pain isn't too bad on her! :)

Hi, I'm in the works for a vsg. I have done an enormous amount of research and I think it is the best starter surgery. I recommend you look into it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

Hi there! Good luck with your VSG!

I was banded in 2007, and still have it (haven't had Fluid in the band since April 2014), so I'm working with what I've got unless the bariatric doctor tells me that it has to come out. My appointment is in August, so we'll see. ;)

After thinking about this, I feel I need to say that I understand that not every one can have a revision, or even WANT a revision. I met a woman at my work today and she still has her band (she was banded a couple of months before I was) and right now she is unhappy with it but her BMI is not high enough, and she's not sure if it will be covered. I myself was denied for a revision in 2014 with a BMI of 37 because I technically had no issues with the band at that time. What helped was that my barium swallow showed in 2015 that the band had moved, and even though it wasn't officially a slip it was enough for the dr to convince the insurance company. So Secret, I DO hope you make it work!!

Good luck to you. Why not try the gastric bypass and a more permanent solution especially if you are through with kids. No Dr here just wondering if bands are so 'temporary'.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I got the band in May 2013. I lost 112 lbs. I'm not sure because I had the right restriction, more because I'd been following the rules to a T. Working out. My lowest weight was 203. I had a breakdown and saw a therapist and dr every couple weeks. I was put on disability and worked on getting me on the right meds. Jan 4th I went to the consultation in Lebanon NH for the sleeve. My weight was 315 the day before. My weight is now 268.8 and I feel my band is playing a part in it. Though I do eat as I was taught by my nutritionist years ago. I still have the sleep study and the endoscopy on the 17 and the 22. Then I start working towards getting the sleeve. But I wonder if they will do the sleeve at this point. Group meetings blood work nutritionist ect. There's a chance I could be sticking with the band like you and either way I'm ok. I get stuck a lot on Protein. Your right at the first meeting they talked about how little weight people lose with the band. I admire your determination and wish you the best.

Edited by PatriotFan

The lap band was an interesting experience for me. Mine not only slipped, but tightened in such a way that no food could pass through my stomach. My surgeon said it was like a rubber band separating a balloon that twisted into 2 compartments. It had to be removed right away (well after 1 day of iv fluids, pain and morphine.

The band worked great for a year, although it may have slipped pretty soon after surgery, so my experience may not be the norm.

About 5 years after the band was removed I had RNY. It is a much better experience, although the post operative recovery was a lot harder. No pressure in my chest like I had with the band, and much less hunger. Even though I couldn't eat a lot with the band I was always so hungry.

I was banded in 2005 and had great result with a 130 pound weight loss within a year. Over the last 5-6 years I have slowly gained weight back on. I will have my band filled and then vomit and then have Fluid taken out then gain weight over and over ugh!!! I had to have Fluid taken out again last week due to not being able to keep anything down. Mind you I have not had a fill since 2014. My surgeon actually told me that he feels I should have my band removed and have a revision to gastric bypass. He feels that due to all the vomiting I am doing more harm than good, he also told me that he stopped even putting bands in over a year ago and would not recommend them. He said that it actually was never ment to be a permanent and they all will eventually need to be removed and mine is sooner than later right now. I was told even if I don't want to have the bypass I will need to have my band removed due to the excessive amount of GERD I have and it has caused Baretts Esophagus. One part of my brain says "Go for it they will already be in there to take the band out" then the other part says "You already failed one weight loss surgery". My surgeon also told me he will only do the bypass revision and due to the scaring of the band to stomach is where he needs to cut for the sleeve and he does not want to risk a leak. I go back to see him in three weeks and to tell him my choice. My best friend had the band to bypass revision and said hands down best choice she made. Sorry about the long post but was wondering if any band to bypass folks had any advise before I made my decision :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App