Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions About Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Hello! I know I'm posting a lot of topics, but I am just so anxious about this procedure, and I want to make sure I am 100% prepared. I just have a few questions about what to expect and what to do. It's ok if you're unable to answer all of my questions. Any advice is very much appreciated. :)

1. How long should I expect to be off from work after surgery? I know that it is up to the doctor, but I just want an estimated idea. I work a very low physical job. So, there will be barely, if any, physical duties.

2. Will I have to avoid carbonated drinks for the rest of my life? I'm not a huge soda drinker, but I do drink it from time-to-time. I know that I'll have to avoid anything carbonated 6 months post-OP. But does that mean for the rest of my life, as well? It's ok if I have to. I'm just curious.

3. Are Protein drinks, like Muscle Milk, the type of Protein Drinks that I'll be able to drink, or will they have to be made?

4. Will I have to stop drinking alcohol completely? I rarely drink, but when I get around my childhood friends, they love to drink, and sometimes I'll drink a little.

5. Has anyone with PCOS had any improvement with their symptoms? If so, please explain.

6. What would you say is an emotional eater? I've noticed a few people get depressed after having the surgery because they aren't hungry enough to eat a lot of food like they used to be able to do. I don't necessarily know if I'm an emotional eater or not. I think I'm more of a 'boredom eater'. I'm mostly bored because I'm so overweight that I can't do the things I wish I could. My weight has caused me to become a hermit and very tired/lazy. But I hardly ever snack when I'm at home. I usually just eat big meals and then I'm done. When I do snack, I make it my meal. Strangely enough, when I'm depressed, I can't eat. My eating habits make people wonder why I am as big as I am, since I don't snack. I tell everyone it's my PCOS, which I'm sure is the truth.

7. Will I still be able to take Adderall after the surgery? Adderall helps my OCD. My OCD causes me to lose concentration on important things, so Adderall helps keep me focused.

8. Is there any long-term pain after the surgery?

9. Will I be able to have kids? I'm only 24 years old (25 in about 2 weeks) and I have no kids. I want kids in my future.

10. Will I really have to drink 6-8 cups of Water a day? I barely drink 3 cups a day because a lot of Water makes me feel sick.

11. Is it true that laying down after eating should be avoided?

So far, those are the only questions I can think of. I may have more later. :)

Edited by Hiraeth

1. How long should I expect to be off from work after surgery? I know that it is up to the doctor, but I just want an estimated idea. I work a very low physical job. So, there will be barely, if any, physical duties.

Plan on a couple of weeks. Might be more, might be less, but about 2 weeks is a good starting point to plan for.

2. Will I have to avoid carbonated drinks for the rest of my life? I'm not a huge soda drinker, but I do drink it from time-to-time. I know that I'll have to avoid anything carbonated 6 months post-OP. But does that mean for the rest of my life, as well? It's ok if I have to. I'm just curious.

Some surgeons do recommend avoiding carbonated drinks for the rest of your life. Some don't. It may also depend on what your new, tiny stomach can tolerate. I can't have anything carbonated without discomfort, so I avoid it.

IMO it's important that you be willing to stick to whatever your surgeon/dietitian recommends. Being committed to being compliant is a big part of the battle to be successful post-op.

3. Are Protein drinks, like Muscle Milk, the type of Protein Drinks that I'll be able to drink, or will they have to be made?
You should be able to drink either pre-made or ones you make yourself, as long as they meet your dietitian's nutritional rules. For example, I could not drink regular Muscle Milk because it is too high calorie and high carb for my plan -- but I could drink Muscle Milk Light, if I wanted to (I don't, to me it tastes like industrial waste water).

4. Will I have to stop drinking alcohol completely? I rarely drink, but when I get around my childhood friends, they love to drink, and sometimes I'll drink a little.
Again, this is up to your individual surgeon/dietitian. I think it is rare that any of them require you give alcohol up for life though.

5. Has anyone with PCOS had any improvement with their symptoms? If so, please explain.

N/A

6. What would you say is an emotional eater?

1. Find a cognitive behavioral therapist who specializes in bariatric surgery patients (your surgeon should be able to refer you to someone good; and 2. Start developing activities and hobbies you like to do in place of eating.

7. Will I still be able to take Adderall after the surgery? Adderall helps my OCD. My OCD causes me to lose concentration on important things, so Adderall helps keep me focused.

Probably, but discuss with your surgeon and possibly a pharmacist. You may need to adjust dosages, but most people continue taking their meds without any problems.

No.

9. Will I be able to have kids? I'm only 24 years old (25 in about 2 weeks) and I have no kids. I want kids in my future.

You will be more likely to get pregnant and to have healthy babies and children when you are no longer morbidly obese. It takes far fewer calories than most people think to nourish a healthy fetus, or a growing baby if you are breastfeeding. So if you plan your food intake carefully you don't have to worry that you will have an underweight baby or anything like that. There is probably not much you could do more beneficial to your future of having children than get yourself to a healthy weight.

10. Will I really have to drink 6-8 cups of Water a day? I barely drink 3 cups a day because a lot of Water makes me feel sick.

No. You will have to drink 8 cups of some sort of liquid in your liquid phase after surgery, but you gradually shift that over so you are getting more fluids from food. You will have to drink more than 3 cups a day though. I hardly ever drink water and I am perfectly healthy!

If you have acid reflux, yes. Gastric sleeve can cause or exacerbate acid reflux so this is a rule that a lot of people find it helpful to follow.

Hello! I know I'm posting a lot of topics, but I am just so anxious about this procedure, and I want to make sure I am 100% prepared. I just have a few questions about what to expect and what to do. It's ok if you're unable to answer all of my questions. Any advice is very much appreciated. :)

[italic] I don't know. It depends on the type of work you do, your work environment, and your recovery. I would recommend you take as much time as you can so you can focus on recovery.

[/italic]

[italic]

If you get the bypass, yes. If you are sleeved, maybe not.

After weaning myself off of carbonation, I am not eager to go back.

[/italic]

3. Are Protein drinks, like Muscle Milk, the type of Protein Drinks that I'll be able to drink, or will they have to be made? [italic]

Ready to drink Protein shakes are ok as long as they don't have too many carbs. Not all Protein Shakes and supplements are bariatric friendly.

[/italic]

4. Will I have to stop drinking alcohol completely? I rarely drink, but when I get around my childhood friends, they love to drink, and sometimes I'll drink a little.[italic]

Probably not forever, but alcohol really has no nutritional value and can be extremely high in calories. If the idea of going alcohol free, if even for a relatively short time, makes you anxious then you may want to talk to someone.

[/italic]

[italic]

N/A

[/italic]

6. What would you say is an emotional eater? I've noticed a few people get depressed after having the surgery because they aren't hungry enough to eat a lot of food like they used to be able to do. I don't necessarily know if I'm an emotional eater or not. I think I'm more of a 'boredom eater'. I'm mostly bored because I'm so overweight that I can't do the things I wish I could. My weight has caused me to become a hermit and very tired/lazy. But I hardly ever snack when I'm at home. I usually just eat big meals and then I'm done. When I do snack, I make it my meal. Strangely enough, when I'm depressed, I can't eat. My eating habits make people wonder why I am as big as I am, since I don't snack. I tell everyone it's my PCOS, which I'm sure is the truth.

[italic]

You may want to talk to a good therapist about this. Whether you use food or other substances like alcohol because of boredom, emotions, to cope with uncomfortable feelings, etc., you will need to find healthier ways to meet those needs. A good therapist can help you with this. You may also want to consider attending some Overeaters Anonymous meetings. You can find meeting lists, podcasts, and other resources online at OA.org.

[/italic]

[italic]

You will need to discuss medications with your surgeon and PCP. You may have to adjust dosages, etc.

[/italic]

[italic]

I haven't experienced any. I had much more chronic pain from obesity. I have lost over 200 pounds and still have a ways to go and any pain is negligible.

[/italic]

[italic]

Probably, but that is a question for your OB/GYN.

[/italic]

10. Will I really have to drink 6-8 cups of Water a day? I barely drink 3 cups a day because a lot of Water makes me feel sick

[italic]

Whether or not you have surgery, you need at least 64 oz or more of non-carbonated, non-caffeinated Fluid a day. Water is ideal but you can meet your Fluid needs with other fluids. This shouldn't be a deal breaker because you need this with or without surgery.

[/italic]

[italic]

I have never heard this. I do know that soon after surgery when I was still swollen it helped to stand or raise my hands over my head at times. [/italic]

Best of luck with your decision.

Plan on a couple of weeks. Might be more, might be less, but about 2 weeks is a good starting point to plan for.

Some surgeons do recommend avoiding carbonated drinks for the rest of your life. Some don't. It may also depend on what your new, tiny stomach can tolerate. I can't have anything carbonated without discomfort, so I avoid it.

IMO it's important that you be willing to stick to whatever your surgeon/dietitian recommends. Being committed to being compliant is a big part of the battle to be successful post-op.

You should be able to drink either pre-made or ones you make yourself, as long as they meet your dietitian's nutritional rules. For example, I could not drink regular Muscle Milk because it is too high calorie and high carb for my plan -- but I could drink Muscle Milk Light, if I wanted to (I don't, to me it tastes like industrial waste water).

Again, this is up to your individual surgeon/dietitian. I think it is rare that any of them require you give alcohol up for life though.

N/A

6. What would you say is an emotional eater?

1. Find a cognitive behavioral therapist who specializes in bariatric surgery patients (your surgeon should be able to refer you to someone good; and 2. Start developing activities and hobbies you like to do in place of eating.

Probably, but discuss with your surgeon and possibly a pharmacist. You may need to adjust dosages, but most people continue taking their meds without any problems.

No.

You will be more likely to get pregnant and to have healthy babies and children when you are no longer morbidly obese. It takes far fewer calories than most people think to nourish a healthy fetus, or a growing baby if you are breastfeeding. So if you plan your food intake carefully you don't have to worry that you will have an underweight baby or anything like that. There is probably not much you could do more beneficial to your future of having children than get yourself to a healthy weight.

No. You will have to drink 8 cups of some sort of liquid in your liquid phase after surgery, but you gradually shift that over so you are getting more fluids from food. You will have to drink more than 3 cups a day though. I hardly ever drink water and I am perfectly healthy!

If you have acid reflux, yes. Gastric sleeve can cause or exacerbate acid reflux so this is a rule that a lot of people find it helpful to follow.

Thank you for your thorough, kind response! May I ask, what do you usually drink besides water?

@@Hiraeth black coffee, Protein Shakes (mix my own with Protein Powder and unsweetened cashew milk), SF/FF cocoa, and diet cranberry juice. Occasionally tea as well. Definitely mostly coffee though! I can hear sleevers recoiling in horror right now, gasping, saying I should be dead because "coffee dehydrates you" (LOL - I am not typing from the grave, I promise, I have been successfully hydrating myself with coffee for decades).

@@Hiraeth black coffee, Protein Shakes (mix my own with Protein powder and unsweetened cashew milk), SF/FF cocoa, and diet cranberry juice. Occasionally tea as well. Definitely mostly coffee though! I can hear sleevers recoiling in horror right now, gasping, saying I should be dead because "coffee dehydrates you" (LOL - I am not typing from the grave, I promise, I have been successfully hydrating myself with coffee for decades).

Oh, goodie! I love coffee! Thanks so much! :D

Really thoughtful responses by @@Bufflehead as usual.

A lot of your questions should be discussed with your doctor (especially those around medication, fertility, post-op diet expectations etc.). I kept lists on my phone of every and anything that came to mind to discuss with my doctor during my monthly mandatory visits before I was sleeved. And of course, there's always this forum for miscellaneous questions you may have as you go along this journey.

1. Sedentary work approx. 6 weeks. Although I didn't take time off because I work from home.

3. You can drink Protein drinks but watch the sugar content. I made my own or went to Tropical smoothie.

4. I wouldn't take the chance with Alcohol, I'd assume a small amount would make you tipsy.

8. Not really. I'm 7 weeks post op and only have incision itching from the largest incision.

9. You could get pregnant right after surgery. Fairly common I heard.

10. Yes, yes, and yes. Stay hydrated.

11. The food will sit on your chest. May cause you to vomit. Sit up.

Really thoughtful responses by @@Bufflehead as usual.

A lot of your questions should be discussed with your doctor (especially those around medication, fertility, post-op diet expectations etc.). I kept lists on my phone of every and anything that came to mind to discuss with my doctor during my monthly mandatory visits before I was sleeved. And of course, there's always this forum for miscellaneous questions you may have as you go along this journey.

I know. I am going to ask him. I was just extremely curious to see answers from you all. Thank you. :)

1. Sedentary work approx. 6 weeks. Although I didn't take time off because I work from home.

3. You can drink Protein drinks but watch the sugar content. I made my own or went to Tropical Smoothie.

4. I wouldn't take the chance with Alcohol, I'd assume a small amount would make you tipsy.

8. Not really. I'm 7 weeks post op and only have incision itching from the largest incision.

9. You could get pregnant right after surgery. Fairly common I heard.

10. Yes, yes, and yes. Stay hydrated.

11. The food will sit on your chest. May cause you to vomit. Sit up.

I know that I will not be able to be off for 6 weeks. I can be off 2 weeks at most. I'm a fast healer. When I had a breast reduction, I was out shopping in 3 days. I'll take things easy. :)

Yeah, I assume even a little bit of alcohol will make someone with a small stomach tipsy. I'm not big on alcohol. It's never really appealed to me like is has to my friends. I guess I'm in the wrong generation sometimes, lol! :lol:

Thanks so much for your response!

Honestly 6 weeks is the real answer. I work for myself so I worked as soon as I got home, I responded to emails. 2 weeks is the minimum. If I worked in an office or had a commute, there is no way I could have functioned and went back to work in 2 weeks. I would have fell asleep in traffic on the way home, or fell asleep on the train and woke up at the end of the line.

You just don't have the long term energy reserves for a whole 8 hour day plus commute. At 2 weeks you will probably be in the 500-600 calories a day range if you are lucky. Can you work all day and perform your job functions on those calories?

I can only answer based on my own experience since October 2015 surgery.

1) I took three weeks because I was also recovering from a simultaneous abdominal hernia repair. In the workshops, though, my surgeon suggested folks return after a week providing there isn't much physical demands. He said walking was great....and not to sit down for long periods.

2) I was a big fan of Diet Dew.....drank way too many every day. I've not done so since surgery even though I've been cleared to try them and see how I did. I simply feel better not drinking them. Staying well hydrated with water and my daily coffee is working for me.

3) As long as they are low carb, then most of the remade shakes are fine and convenient.

4) I was big beer drinking prior to a 6 months prior to surgery then I stopped them. I've not tried a beer yet...due to the carbonation and the fact that I simply do not ever again want something so caloric to return to my life. I do have occasional margaritas mixed with a zero or low calorie mixer. Vodka and diet cranberry works, too.

5) No experience.

6) I was a stress eater. I've learned new ways to deal with stress. Gong for a brisk walk, or hitting the gym.

7) One of the reasons my surgeon stressed VSG vs bypass for me was the ability to take normal battery of medicines. There is no medicine that I can't have in the future if needed.

8) I've experienced zero long term pain.....and actually almost zero pain from the sleeve surgery itself. The hernia repair was the only source of pain.

9) I heard my surgeon reply to that very question during a group workshop. He said he wanted to see his female patients wait a year or two after surgery before trying to have kids.

10) It is a diet. Good hydration helps with the weight loss. You'll have your water bottle along with you all the time. You don't have to slam down the water.....but you do need to keep at it and never go for long periods without drinking it. It truly was very easy for me to do as I don't drink all the sodas anymore.

11) I try to time my meals so that I'm done with any eating well before bedtimes. It just makes sense. I've never had issues with heartburn and think that this may have something to do with it.

Good luck. I sure wished I'd done the VSG when I was much younger !!!!!

I was back to work 17 days after surgery. Could have gone back a week earlier. I have a "desk job" but work in a huge medical complex so have to walk a lot (4-5 miles a according to my fit bit) to get from one thing to the next.