Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I agree with pammieanne and wolfgirl78. Think we all had to do some real soul searching before we made our life changing decisions. I'm not a soda/pop drinker so it's not an issue with me. I did give up drinking alcohol 2 months pre-op and that has been difficult but very manageable. I'm in this for health.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I would follow your surgeons plan as to when you can have carbonated beverages. Most likely that's not on the approved list at 15 days post op. I could be wrong as every surgeons plan is different.

My surgeon's plan did allow carbonated beverages (and straws) but I wasn't allowed that until 30 days post op.

I enjoy one Cherry Coke Zero a day.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

You enjoy one Coke Zero Cherry a day yet you support the other gal?? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Most of the people who are successful long term do a hard reset of their habits during the "honeymoon" period of 6-18 months.

At that point you have new eating habits hard wired. You may find you even have new preferences and food choices that you actually LIKE better than the old ones.

At that point eating off plan, using moderation, is most likely not going to derail your hard work and be a slippery slope back to old patterns.

Think hard about that. Is a few sips or bites here and there NOW worth not getting those new patterns in solid. Why not take the best advantage of that window to make a good solid permanent change?

I would follow your surgeons plan as to when you can have carbonated beverages. Most likely that's not on the approved list at 15 days post op. I could be wrong as every surgeons plan is different.

My surgeon's plan did allow carbonated beverages (and straws) but I wasn't allowed that until 30 days post op.

I enjoy one Cherry Coke Zero a day.

You enjoy one Coke Zero Cherry a day yet you support the other gal?? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Uh yeah.... There's a bit of a difference between 4 years out like Wolfgirl78 is and the initial poster who is 15 days out!

I'm 4 weeks out and don't want to try it. I'm scared of anything that might make me sick or uncomfortable. It's happened already when I ate too fast and it's not a feeling I want again! That being said, I've been craving caffeine and soda... We have a soda stream machine so I just pour a little bit of diet soda mix into plain Water and drink it flat. Yesterday my husband was drinking a diet cream soda and it looked amazing! I poured a can into a mason jar and kept it in the fridge overnight. The next day I drank it flat and it was delicious!

Yeah I agreed with the other poster. You're 15 days out. After my surgery I was given a list of food stages and what I was allowed to eat and drink in each of those stages. This list also included how long each stage lasted. I was cleared to eat and drink everything 30 days after my surgery. I followed each of those stages. Coke Zero ( carbonated beverages) wasn't allowed until 30 days out. I followed that. I never said don't ever drink it again. I said follow your surgeons post op plan.

If you don't want truthful answers to questions that you already know the answer to, maybe not ask them in a public forum and just follow your drs. instructions to avoid any complications??? Just a thought ;-)

Sent from my K010 using the BariatricPal App

Why go against what your doctor told you this early out? Not to sound rude, but there are rules in place for reasons. No, it may not have bothered you, but you knew going into this that things would be off limits... some of them for months, some forever. The taste of cake, or a chip or two, or a piece of garlic bread may not bother you either, but if you start 'breaking the rules' only a few days out of surgery, you are setting yourself up for failure down the road.

The first year is the easy part... following the rules are to set you up for success after the honeymoon phase is over.

It's not a game to see what your new pouch can handle.

Well, you do sound rude. I truly doubt that you have been absolutely perfect. I was asking a question, which is what this forum is for. Not for people like you to place judgement. I don't have a bad relationship with food. That is not what got me here and you know nothing about me so with all due respect take your holier than now opinion elsewhere.

I probably shouldn't respond to this since I'm 6 days post op from my conversion to bypass because of uncontrollable acid and on pain meds but I can't help myself. Posts like this crack me the hell up. It is evident to me that the OP was hell bent on drinking the Coke Zero, so I don't understand the need to post seeking advice. Moreover, it was clear she was going to react badly when she received a response that she believed didn't give the blessing she sought or was "holier than thou" (by the way I'm 2+ years post surgery round 1 and 6 days post surgery round 2 and I followed my instructions TO THE LETTER both times)

. Posts like this is why the vets are leaving this site in droves. If you don't want the advice, don't ask the question. And if you ask the question accept the advice with the grace in which it was given. Like Kindle said in another post: I'm out. Good luck to all you new soda, alcohol drinking, pizza and bacon eating new post OP's who believe they know better what is right for "their body" than vets who are super successful or, amazingly the medical professionals in whose hands they placed their life's. Good luck

And I don't think my message would be any different if it wasn't clouded by lortab.

Bring on the bitching

I agree, she said nothing rude or untrue. You maybe didn't like her answer. But it was the truth . You asked a question, got several people that told you it was a bad idea yet you did it anyway. Your pouch, your life, your journey! But she was telling you the truth and if you didn't want advice you should have just drank the coke without asking advice about it. You did not receive 1 reply that said heck yea that sounds safe !

I had a diet dp last week. 2 sips. Twas groooos. The carbonation is kinda gross to me now.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

Wowee. I'd be eating popcorn and guzzling Coke Zero as I read this if I still had half a stomach left. This has turned into a bit of a brawl. It really feels like people are all riled up here. I would hope we could all cool it a bit and move on, trying to be kind to each other who have made and are making this huge life change.

So far, this bariatric pal has been an incredibly helpful resource for me, a newbie. I really appreciate the advice from the Veterans on here and hope they don't leave. And I also love all the questions people ask as they explore the results of their surgery and how they will choose to live post-surgery and I hope they do not stop asking questions.

@@ACJordan .... You came here and asked people's opinions, you're all nice when people tell you bad idea, why it's a bad idea, you even AGREE that the suture situation was something you never considered, lots of people jump in to ask you to please listen to common sense ..... And THEN YOU COME BACK AND SAY " oh well, I had some anyway, I had to gave it, I really like Coke Zero." Like that's cute or funny?

You wasted people's time, but what's worse is you tossed it back in their faces like a joke, so yeah, that feels lousy to the people who took time to help you. If you didn't follow their advice, that's your choice, but don't throw that back in their faces. THAT is immature.

OP, did your surgeon give you any photos of your sleeve? I was given a couple and found it extremely useful to be able to see how massive the surgery was. Knowing what sort of wound I was healing from made me terrified to eat anything off plan and be very gentle eating anything on plan.

If your wound was on the outside of your body would you pour Coke Zero on it? I think you might have chosen Water. It seems to be a real problem that because it can't be seen, the trauma of the surgery is easily forgotten.

Maybe have a google of what a post op sleeve looks like and consider that whenever you are faced with a craving that is not in your plan. Those photos were burned into my brain. Best of luck.

My best fried had gastric bypass about 8 years ago and besides loving food has an addiction to diet coke products. I watched her refuse to drink Water during recovery and slowly slide into old patterns with diet coke. She talks candidly with me now about how the sweetness and comfort of the old pattern enabled her to dabble in other areas of sweet consumption. She initially lost over 150 pounds and now has gained back 130.

Just because it was the beginning of her slippery slope does not mean that it will be for you. Listen to your body. Talk to your nutritionist. Get a therapist if you have to. Make sure that you are in control not a previous addiction to artificial sweeteners/caffeine/bubbles or the lifestyle pattern from before surgery.

I have not had surgery yet, but am surrounded by people who have had it. The lifestyle change is most essential in having a long lasting loss of excess weight.

@@ACJordan

I think I might be the second or third person to ask you this question. What are the rules set by your surgeon? Is Coke Zero on that list?

I am guessing not. If you want to drink you go right ahead, just make sure that you tell people you didn't follow the rules when you end up in surgery or with a stretched out stomach.

You are right, not everyone is perfect but most are pretty darn perfect those first few months.

Why did you have this surgery in the first place if you were not going to listen to your doctors instructions?

Oh, and I might be a bit rude right now so I will just call myself out. If you want to pile on, go for it.

The reality is the posters on here are trying to help you. You asked a question, they responded with experiences.

If Coke Zero doesn't bother you, I say go for it at this point.