Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

C25k. Keeping myself honest

Goooooo me! I had a client in town today and we had a work potluck. I had a few bites of this and that but the kicker was I went for drinks and had some wine.. Then dinner (a cup of Manhattan clam chowder) and didn't get home til 8:30. Today was supposed to be week 4 day 2. And I was lamenting being bad and not running the whole ride home. Guess what? I put on my running clothes and went running!! At night and in the dark and I loved it!!! I honestly think the potato in that Soup made me have energy or something but I felt awesome. The bad thing is I feel so awesome right now I am not tired and I need to go to bed... But I feel really really good. It is weird. And I usually listen to a book (I know I M a nerd but it keeps me interested) and I listened to some music instead and I found myself run dancing. Maybe I am drunk. Hahahaha.

But seriously I am unsure what this feeling is. Maybe it is what they call a runners high. But I highly doubt that is it running 5 minutes at a stretch..

I have to go to New Jersey next week which means running inside on a treadmill I think because of the heat. We shall see how that goes... I may just save my program till I return to sf at the end of the week. We shall see.. One more day in week 4 which I think I will do Friday or Saturday. I am dreading seeing what week 5 has in store. I like week 4 so much I may repeat it . But who knows maybe I will like week 5 as much as week 4 but for some reason I doubt it...

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I think that feeling you describe is pride and accomplishment. :D

Great job! Keep going! C25K was best thing I did for myself his year. I started in January and ran my first 5k in April. I am running another at the end of August. I run 3 times a week religiously. It is harder now with intense heat but I am determined to keep running in all weather.

Ok! Short post. I did week 4 day 3 this afternoon. Packing for the east coast now so hopefully that also counts as exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Completed week 2 on Friday... anxious to start week 3 tomorrow. It's going to be interesting as I fly to Michigan on Wednesday night, so it'll be a bit of a shakeup to my routine.

The view from my run :)

post-262861-0-97828300-1469417737_thumb.jpeg

@@BCs 1000 Wow! So jealous!

Finished W3D1 last night... found it surprisingly easier than weeks 1 or 2. I think there were two reasons:

1. Starting to figure out my pace.

2. First two weeks I did all of the running on a track, so I believe I was trying to run faster than I should since I had this goal in mind of doing 1/2 lap in 60 seconds and 3/4 in 90 seconds. Last night my daughter took me to the trail they run for cross country, which goes through the woods... not being able to see very far in front of you (like on a track) I think causes you to slow down just a bit.

Here's my trainer and I after week 1:

post-256777-0-37742200-1469561731_thumb.jpg

Week 4 day 3 - uggggg I need to slow down u might redo this week next week, if I can't find the right pace on treadmill

Week 4 day 3 - uggggg I need to slow down u might redo this week next week, if I can't find the right pace on treadmill

It's definitely east to go the wrong pace on treadmill. One thing I did pretty early on is actually run outside and map/time my run so i knew what my "natural" pace was.

Omg week 5!!! You are a tricky week! So I decided to do week 5 day 1 in New Jersey after dinner. Bad move. I stuck close to the hotel and ran in the back empty parking lot of the building next door. I have to commend anyone who is able to run in the heat and humidity. I puked a bit, I am not gonna lie. But I finished it. It was the 3 5 minute runs. The view wasn't that great. But I liked the trees.

I didn't eat that great Tuesday and had some guilt and had the intention to run around 10pm when I got home but didn't. To jet lagged.

Soooo, I ran tonight thinking it would be 3 5 minutes again and it was 2 8 minutes!!! That seemed like a big jump! I did it but my left calf is hurting. I also did the fitness center after for a 7 minute circuit. I have been consciously not looking at what the run will be until the run part starts but I saw day 3 is the dreaded 20 minute run. This also seems to soon after 8 minutes. I am very worried. And I am not joking. It will be Saturday evening I think. @@goblue9280 let me know if your coach has any hints!!!

Everyone is rocking it!! Thanks for posting and the pics!! Everyone is really inspiring me and I love how it keeps me honest!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App post-286600-1469671576697_thumb.jpg

Edited by goplay94123

@@goplay94123 The long runs are so intimidating. What I did for my weeks 5 and 6 was actually repeat the first two workouts three times, turning them into their own "weeks", before doing the long runs one time each. So my schedule looked like this:

Actual Week 5, Day 1: Week 5, Day 1

Actual Week 5, Day 2: Week 5, Day 1

Actual Week 5, Day 3 ;Week 5, Day 1
Actual Week 6, Day 1 ;Week 5, Day 2
Actual Week 6, Day 2 ;Week 5, Day 2
Actual Week 6, Day 3 ;Week 5, Day 2
Actual Week 6, Day 4 ;Week 5, Day 3

Actual Week 7, Day 1: Week 6, Day 1

Actual Week 7, Day 2: Week 6, Day 1

Actual Week 7, Day 3 ;Week 6, Day 1

Actual Week 8, Day 1: Week 6, Day 2

Actual Week 8, Day 2: Week 6, Day 2

Actual Week 8, Day 3 ;Week 6, Day 2

Actual Week 8, Day 4 ;Week 6, Day 3

So I turned 2 weeks into 4 weeks, if that makes sense?

@@JamieLogical - Yes - I remember seeing a post from you about something like that but couldn't remember the post!!! I thought it all started Week 6! - That post that you made about this before is what got me going again this time, actually - it made me say to myself that I could modify like you and get it done!

Thank you so much for posting that in here.. I will try it your way. I actually feel kind of sore today - so pushing the 20 does not seem like a good idea at this point - but i dont want to give up!

I will let you all know how I do!

@@JamieLogical Thanks for sharing Jamie. I also just completed Week 5, Day 1 (after a 2 week break due to some non-running related foot issue - didn't want to exacerbate it). Aside from my heart rate getting a little higher than usual, the 2 week break didn't seem to hurt me too badly.

Anyway, it is getting very intimidating. I am trying to trust in the program, because honestly, I find these 5 minute runs easier than the 90 second runs at the beginning, so I'm obviously progressing. But the next run in 8 minutes, ok I think I can do that, but a 20 minute run??? I just don't know. Scary. What is really weird to me in W6D1 is only 5 minute runs with 3 minute walks. There must be a reason, it just escapes me.

It's getting real now.

@ There's no shame in modifying the program if you have to. As long as you keep pushing yourself and you get where you are going eventually. I don't feel like taking the extra two weeks to finish C25k was any sort of failure on my part. I eventually got to where I was running a 5k race every month, then I got to where I trained for and ran a half marathon, and now i am training for a full marathon! It's all about challenging yourself, but if you push too hard too fast, you risk injury or set-backs. So you have to find the balance that works for you.