Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long do you plan to take off work after surgery?

I am hoping to have surgery in August. I travel a lot for work and am always lifting heavy medical devices. With all the travel I do and heavy lifting, I was thinking of taking 4 weeks off work until I am able to eat "normal" food and am fully healed? How long does everyone else plan to take off work and am I over thinking 4 weeks?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon originally suggested 6, I'm taking them even if some of it is vacation. There are times when I am still weak and working in a busy office I don't often get to eat on time, I lift heavy boxes of files and do a lot of sitting which is bad for my stomach. My surgery was the 21st of June. I haven't had a quiet day since I've been home. I could use some rest! Be smart and don't over do it.

Im taking 6 weeks. Ive never had surgey of any kind and dont want to put myself at risk. I just want to be 110% after surgery

Little tia

I'm planning to go back at 2 weeks but I don't do any lifting at work. I'm also part time so that helps.

i go back to work tuesday. i took 13 days off-the perfect amount of time as i am going stir crazy!

the only thing i am worried about is getting tired-but i know this shall pass.

Depends on what my date actually turns out to be. If it's December, I'll take the rest of the year off.

"When all is said and done, usually more has been said than done. "

I am taking 2 weeks off. My surgery is Tuesday 7/5 and my department is a major audit starting 7/18 and my job is basically ensuring we pass audits with flying colors. I was really stressed out last week trying to wrap up loose ends and ensure we are audit ready 2 weeks in advance! My surgeon said some people are able to return to work after 1 week but 2 is average --- for a low impact desk job. I was supposed to have surgery on 6/21 but the paperwork didn't get submitted to insurance soon enough so 7/5 was the next available date. If I waited until after the audit my kids would be home from their grandmas house and I'd have to worry about them too!

I took 7 days off. I have a very active, physical job, too, so had to pull light duty for 3 weeks until I could go back to lifting my usual 40-60 pounds.

I had the luxury of taking six weeks off. I was told not to lift more than 10 pounds the first two weeks, and not more than 20 for another four. (They don't want you to get a hernia while the abdominal wall is still weak.) I felt quite good after two weeks, but still got tired in the afternoons. A daily nap was a luxurious tonic. I went back to traveling my first week back to work--no problems at all. Two travel food recommendations: Wendy's chili and Chick-fil-a grilled chicken nuggets. Quest bars travel well too and are good in a pinch!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I took 6 days off and had assistance setting up for classes. If something had to be moved and no one was around to help, I just leaned against it til it was in the correct location. Going back to work was a bit uncomfortable. To help

Stay on course, I carried Water with me at all times and just walked a bit slower

Sent from my LG-H740 using the BariatricPal App

I took 6 days off and had assistance setting up for classes. If something had to be moved and no one was around to help, I just leaned against it til it was in the correct location. Going back to work was a bit uncomfortable. To help stay on course, I carried Water with me at all times and just walked a bit slower

My surgeon Gave me 6 weeks. Im 3 days post op. My plan was to go back following my 2 week post op visit. I may take an additional week for a total of 3. We'll see how well I progress.

I have 6 weeks scheduled. But playing it by ear. I have a lot of sick time and I'll be going back into a high stress job plus a drive an hour to and from work. My guess is I'll be back after 4 weeks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App