Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first glass of wine was outstanding, then.......

Last night we went out to Celebrate my birthday at the melting pot. I have found that this can be a really great meal for me with the meat and cheese course.

I wanted to enjoy a nice glass of wine (yes I know I am not supposed to eat and drink at the same time). I simply wanted to sip that crisp cold Pinot Grigio and enjoy a bit of cheese fondue. We went with the spinach artichoke cheese fondue. It it delicious.

First, I ordered a 5oz (small) glass of wine. It was delicious! I think I maybe sipped half while enjoying the cheese and seriously was feeling no pain. I was just at that threshold were you go from feeling no pain to this is too much! Lol. I read all the stories but part of me wondered if that would happen to me.

Well, it takes a while for the entree course but it is truly my favorite. I had 3 shrimp and one potsticke, 2 mushrooms with their lovely green goddess sauce. I was full.

About 5 minutes later I became very ill. I had to leave the table, I was literally doubled over in pain. When I got home I threw up. I never get dumping syndrome, I never get heart burn.

I was feeling sick for a couple hours, then went to bed. I was exhausted. I layed in bed until 4:30 this morning, unable to sleep and so exhausted.

I am 22 months post op, I have eaten this meal before and not had a problem.

This morning I got up and had some Water. About an hour later I had a whole grain 1/2 English muffin with Peanut Butter. Before I even finished the last bite I was vomiting again.

What the heck? This seriously could not be that 1 glass of wine could it?

I have been sipping Water all morning now but feeling exhausted and nauseous.

Anyone else have this experience and know why?

I am supposed to go out to dinner with friends tonight and to a movie which we already bought tickets for. I thought I would take a nap, shower, drink some more fluids and take it really easy for dinner tonight.

I can honestly say for the first time I am really worried about going out to eat with friends. We are going to a Chinese restaurant. I usually nibble on muu shuu chicken but I don't think that will work today with the way I am feeling. Maybe I will have a Protein shake and then simply push some food around on my plate.

Could eating and sipping wine slowly have caused this for me. I usually never ever do that unless I have eaten something spicy. Then I might take a small sip just to wash the heat down.

Maybe you just got a little tummy bug / food poisoning / something bizarre -- rather than are suffering from the wine / food combo.

????

That's my guess too. Shrimp is easy for even good restaurants to treat too casually and not keep it cool enough, etc.

Wine stopped agreeing with me before surgery, but prosecco/champagne was fine, and so was my favorite; single malt scotch. I stayed away from all alcohol for a good year, then let myself calculate it into my food plan once in a blue moon. Amounts to maybe once every three or four months, and then only an ounce of scotch or 3 ounces wine. I count the calories as carbs, otherwise it doesn't really work on the macro counting I do on MFP.

Anyway, just to say, a bit of the good stuff sits just fine, and once in a while hasn't bothered me in that way. Lets hope it was just a fluke of tummy trouble! Ick...ouch!

I tend to agree with the others and doubt this was caused by dumping syndrome. I suspect some time of flu bug or food poisoning. Since eating seems to trigger this, you might have a problem going out to dinner tonight.

Dumping Syndrome does not last as long as you are describing. I am with the others on the fact that you picked up some sort of virus. If you have wine, it's good to have some Protein with it, like cheese.< /p>

Thanks everyone and I think you are all right. I don't think that was dumping, I think something simply did not agree with me. As the day progresses, I am feeling better and happy to know that others did not experience anything similar. That darn wine tasted so good that I certainly want to have a glass again some time. :)

One of the few times that happened to me was after eating shrimp from a restaurant buffet.

I'm gonna go with food poisoning from the shrimp!