Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What’s Your Take on Summer Fruit?

Almost everyone loves summer fruit, from nectarines, peaches, and plums to cherries, berries, and, of course, watermelon. It’s packed with Fiber, potassium, and antioxidants, but fruit is also known for being high in sugar. How do you handle summer fruit?

Do you keep it to small servings? Do you make sure to always eat it with some Protein to keep your blood sugar spike to a minimum? Do you look at it as a virtuous treat compared to a sugary dessert, or as a guilty sweet pleasure? And, do you have any great bariatric friendly recipes to share to satisfy cravings for fruity Desserts such as blueberry pie and peach cobbler?

Thankfully my plan allows fruit and veg along with some other carbs. I make sure I'm getting my Protein in and usually eat it with Protein as a habit due to formerly being diabetic. My blood sugar stays normal and that alone makes this a successful change and worth the surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I love frozen fruit in the summer....blueberries, watermelon, honeydew, oranges and peaches. I keep a good stock in the freezer and grab a handful or couple chunks at least once/day. Don't really give much thought to the calories or sugar and certainly don't feel guilty about eating them or see them as a substitute for something else. It's just something tasty and refreshing.

I just made a "watermelon pizza" for dinner tonight.

It is a round slice of watermelon topped with feta cheese, raw onion rings, fresh basil and capers---with a spray of basalmic dressing. Cut the watermelon pizza like a regular pizza. It is not only gorgeous to look at but is amazingly good!

I use summer fruit and diet soda in my Quest Protein shakes instead of milk. I also add 3-4 ice cubes. It is soo refreshing and so full of Protein. win/win. :)

I try to limit it to one serving a day and always eat it with Protein - e.g. a few berries on my Greek yogurt or some peach slices in a salad along with grilled chicken. I haven't eaten watermelon because of the high sugar content.

I am here to sing the praises of watermelon! Yes, @@catwoman7, watermelon, like all fruits has fairly high sugar content, however, unlike some fruits, watermelon is very low in calories. In order to consume 500 calories of watermelon, you would have to eat over four pounds of it, even the biggest binger in the world could hardly manage that! The "water" part of the Water melon also makes it a great food for sleevers, all that Water will make you feel very full and satisfied very quickly.

I buy a whole watermelon and cut it up into small chunks and keep in the the fridge in ziplock bags. I have a piece as a snack, after a work out, and a few pieces for desert, even my dog loves it as a treat! I would say over the course of the day I might consume the equilvalent of a cup to a cup and a half of watermelon--for a whopping total of 46 to 69 calories! It's juicy, sweet and delicious and it is definitely something that makes me feel full, satisfied and not at all like I'm missing out on summer treats!

Edited by Oak Park Lorena

I just made a "watermelon pizza" for dinner tonight.

It is a round slice of watermelon topped with feta cheese, raw onion rings, fresh basil and cappers---with a spray of basalmic dressing. Cut the watermelon pizza like a regular pizza. It is not only gorgeous to look at but is amazingly good!

I use summer fruit and diet soda in my Quest Protein shakes instead of milk. I also add 3-4 ice cubes. It is soo refreshing and so full of Protein. win/win. :)

Watermelon pizza! That sounds absolutely delicious! When am I invited for dinner? I'm free tomorrow, not being pushy, or anything :rolleyes:

At 7 months out fruit is on the menu. I love all the same ones I used too just smaller quantities. Cherries, grapes, nectarines, strawberries, watermelon. pineapple and bananas are less frequent. I usually eat them with Protein.< /p>

I love fruit. I do eat it with Protein. I have blackberries and/or blueberries pretty much every morning. This week I bought some clementines. I have really enjoyed them (without any issues thankfully). I have tried watermelon recently too and I had a small amount mixed with 1 tbsp. of feta cheese and a dash or two of balsamic vinegar. It was SO good! The watermelon pizza @@Valentina mentioned sounds amazing!

How do you handle summer fruit?

I eat it. ;)

I don't have problems with handling fruit on its own and I don't believe in carbs being the new bad guy in town after fat got its good reputation back.

I'm already looking forward to ripe apricots and figs.

I don't like sweets I have never been a big fruit eater. I do like strawberries but they only sell them by the pint, and I can only eat about 5 before they go bad. So no strawberries for me. If I can get a small amount of strawberries in a salad then I go for it but that is about it. And I don't eat frozen fruits because the carb counts are higher.

I love summer fruit. I don't particularly care for apples, oranges or bananas so summer fruit is my time to enjoy. I was so strict in the weight loss phase, I would only allow myself a small amount of fruit for Breakfast. Now that I've lost all the weight I want to lose I'm allowing myself more fruit and it doesn't seem to be a problem for me in terms of gaining.

Thanks for the feedback and some great ideas! I certainly wouldn’t have thought of watermelon pizza, so thanks for that, @@Valentina I am truly glad to hear that most of you are eating and enjoying fruit – it’s awfully healthy, and I think it’s a good thing to work into your diet if you can.

I love fruit I'm not sure I would be able to have done the surgery if fruit was a no. I know some programs don't allow it. Last summer was hard because I was on soft foods and such it was so hard to eat peaches. My favorite!