Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 week stall-sleeved 6/7/16

So glad I found this forum! After having called the support liaison and getting words of encouragement, it still just wasn't enough.

Started reading in this forum and felt there would be more of a connection from others who've actually been through it.

Gained the typical hospital Fluid weight of about 5 lbs, then lost about 40 lbs in just over 2.5 weeks. Now I've been on a holding pattern for over a week. Can anyone who's already finally passed the early stage stall period give us an update?

Sent from my LG-H740 using the BariatricPal App

I know, that's what she said too. However... I'm def going to try and want to hear about other's getting past it

Everyone who is further than a couple of months out has survived one or two stalls. You will, too.

Stalls are a normal, natural, and necessary part of the process of losing weight. We all experience stalls and just about everyone experiences a stall about three weeks after surgery.

Just follow your program.

Track your food.

Make sure you get at least 64 oz of Fluid.

Make sure you reach your Protein target every day. For me, that is 100 grams a day.

Avoid added sugars (especially high fructose corn syrup), starches, and fried foods.

Take your Vitamins and supplements as directed.

Exercise when cleared.

Stay off the scale. Early out I only weighed at doctors appointments.

And, Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

I'll add my two cents here. Inner Surfer Girl is right -- we all hit this. I've read this a lot before I had my VSG and then I lived it...

I'm about 2 months out now -- I too did really well in the first few weeks -- lost about 25-30 pounds in the first month, then stalled for almost a month. Now I'm back to losing consistently again.

Everyone's journey is a little different, and they call it the "three week stall" because on average that's about when it hits. From what you wrote you've done extremely well losing 40 pounds in 2.5 weeks. Your body fights this though and needs some time to adjust -- it's going to hold on for a while. Nothing's wrong, you might stall for a week or a month. In my experience I completely stalled for about 10 days, then I'd lose a pound -- and stall for a week, then maybe another pound, stall for a week. It's frustrating after losing weight so fast at first but you'll be back to losing in due course. Oddly, I found (since I weigh every morning consistently) that I'd usually spike up unexpectedly the day before I'd lose. I swear one morning I was up 3.5 pounds and I hadn't done anything differently! That 3.5 pounds (and more) was gone the next day. There isn't much you can do but follow your surgeon's recommended program.

So don't fret, it's part of the journey. I like to think of it as a long hike down the side of a mountain -- much of the path leads down, but some parts are level (or even uphill) and you still have to walk them to get to the lowlands below.

Good luck on your journey.

Edited by silverthreads

you lost 40lbs in 2.5 weeks. that's amazing. give your body time to adjust. I was sleeved 6/17 and have lost...nothing, nada, not even a tenth of a pound. I was very frustrated Thursday at my two week post op appointment. after a lot of thought that night, i'm not as upset. I just did major trauma to my body. my body is reeling and confused and trying to repair itself. the weight will come off - at this low a calorie intake it can't NOT come off.

now is time to trust in the process and stay the course. after all, don't really have much choice, the surgery isn't reversible.

It has been 3 weeks. I am so frustrated. I know I am not overeating. As a matter of fact, I have to constantly remind myself that purposely not eating will not solve the problem.. What should I do?? What helps get rid of the stall?? I am 6 weeks out.

English is my 6th language so forgive me if my sentences don't make any sense at times!

It has been 3 weeks. I am so frustrated. I know I am not overeating. As a matter of fact, I have to constantly remind myself that purposely not eating will not solve the problem.. What should I do?? What helps get rid of the stall?? I am 6 weeks out.

English is my 6th language so forgive me if my sentences don't make any sense at times!

What should you do?

Follow your program.

Track your food.

Make sure you are getting at least 64 oz of Fluid.

Make sure you are reaching your Protein target daily. Mine is 100 grams.

Avoid starches, added sugars (especially high fructose corn syrup), and fried foods.

Take your Vitamins and supplements as directed.

Exercise.

Stay off the scale.

And, Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Thank you to each of you for taking the time to let me know I am not alone in this journey and that patience and determination are key. You have no idea how you have helped. Looking forward to the rest of my journey but now I have more hope with each day :)

Thank you to each of you for taking the time to let me know I am not alone in this journey and that patience and determination are key. You have no idea how you have helped. Looking forward to the rest of my journey but now I have more hope with each day :)

I think one of the biggest mental adjustments between pre-op dieting and post-op for me has been my attitude towards stalls.

Pre-op, a stall was a time to throw up my hands and give up.

Now, I am much more at peace since I know that they are a necessary part of the process.

The further along you get, the more you may notice that many of the physical changes associated with weight loss occur during stalls: loss of inches, tightening of skin, etc.

Instead of fighting it and getting discouraged, it helps me to have faith that the process works.

Yes, now that I've heard from those of you that have experienced this, I feel like I can handle it much better!