Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lifestyle Change or Not?

Great topic. thanks for starting it.............

I find this fascinating. I am also Self Pay to the tune of $17,000.

Makes me want to scream when I read about the person complaining about the 20 dollar copay but taxpayers made sure she would be alive and healthy enough to even have a copay in her life!!!

"Serenity now..........!!!"

I guess it is always easier to spend the money of someone else. When it comes to tax dollars it appears that it is a bottomless pit of money to be spent at the whim of ... anyone but the taxpayers.

I will be self pay in mx. It is going to be $4600 or so. I am also on welfare. Notice how I am not playing medicaids game to qualify. I have been on medicaid for two years. Two and a years i became disabled (ms and severe bp) I have been waiting two years for ssdi. Then I can have medicare. My ssdi back pay will cover the vsg. I am 56. I have been living on my state retirement. My last two years have suckef. Did i mention i got divorced?

I researched the lap band extensively before having it done. I have been overweight my entire life. I choose to change my "lifestyle" completely when deciding on the lap band. The thing I realized is people that each unhealthy will not learn how to properly maintained their nutrition. They will most likely continue eating crap foods and eventually just put on the weight again. That's why it's important to follow a nutritious meal plan. I lost 38 pounds in a month in a half before my surgery from following a high Protein, lower calorie diet. I stuck with the same meal plans after my surgery. I have trained myself to feel bad when I have something that I shouldn't. But it keeps me on track. I choose to eat things with nutritional value because it has allowed my skin to shrink with my weight loss and I have a healthy glow. Between proper diet and exercise I was able to not worry about having to have skin removed. I've had people that I didn't know before say I can't imagine you ever being heavy. And that makes me feel great. My feeling are why have a surgery to improve your life if your going to die from a heart attack anyways from eating fast food or having a stick of butter with your potatos.

I mean no disrespect when I ask this question - but it seems that there are two distinct 'types' of banders - those that are looking to lose weight by any means necessary (even if it's surgery), and those that are making a lifestyle change. I know that when I started this whole process over a year ago, I had behavior modification classes, and spent weeks on mindful eating, etc. -all mandated by my surgeon. But when I see the posts from people two weeks post surgery eating taquitos, chicken strips, and things involving high calorie dressings/sauces and asking about ice cream in Protein shakes - I wonder what is the mindset of that person? Why go through all of this? I am just shocked that anyone would spend this time, energy and pain to toss it all for ranch dressing. Maybe I am the exception. Maybe I am more sensitive because I was a self-pay, and the idea of someone getting $20K surgery, and having McDonald's 10 days later burns me up. But is there a thread for people that are more or less "embracing" this new lifestyle instead of trying to skirt it? Also - before the barrage of nasty messages starts - I have had a square of chocolate, and had a piece of "regular" cheese here and there - but I know that's not going to move the numbers on the scale down, so I keep it in check.:P I apologize again if I have offended, but if I read one more posting about using high-fat/calorie mushies - I am going to scream.:) Thanks for reading my vent. :omg:

Yes you're spot on. We do go through hoops to get here. Insurance, pre-op diet, post-op diet, emotional dollar coasters, the list goes on. I know I'm not perfect, but there are some changes I have made which have been permanent. For instance, I still only drink Water, I don't have any caffeine at all, I try to stick with the diet plan. I will admit, I have cheated, but when that happens - I don't loose. So I get back on track. I have a few friends who have had WLS, and they have begun to gain. I don't want to be like that. I didn't get this far to eat it all back. I want this. I try to balance what I have. And I try to stay away from the garbage foods which got me here. I have had one hamburger since surgery, and it wasn't worth it. It just wasn't good anymore.

But hey, that's me.