Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Start of my journey!

Hi Everyone!!!

I am in the initial stages of my weight loss journey. I'm scared, yet excited! My weight has been an issue since I was a small child. I can remember starting Weight Watchers for the first time, when I was in the 5th grade. Even though I've always had "a beautiful face", my weight seems to be what people have judged me by. I've accomplished a lot in my life, but yet my weight has kept me from being everything I can be. It's time for change.

Back in 2002, when I was 39 years old, I joined Weight Watchers (again). This time it stuck and I lost about 110 lbs. I worked really hard at it and the only way I could lose the weight and maintain it was to workout 5-6X a week, for about 2 hours a time. In 2003, I made a huge change in my life and joined the Army! Who joins the Army at 40??? I'm now convinced I was having a mid-life crisis and instead of buying a convertible and getting my hair cut, I joined the Army. All joking aside, it was the best decision I have ever made! I love(d) the Army! I was serving my Country and providing a service to my brothers and sisters-in-arms. I am a Dr. of Audiology, and I knew the #1 and #2 disabilities from the global war on terrorism, was hearing loss and ringing in the ears. I wanted to serve my Country. I was very proud of myself. Here I was this girl who always had a weight problem, but now I was fit enough to be in the Army. I felt very accomplished. I had convinced myself that I would NEVER return to being an obese person and I actually kept off the weight until 2012.

In 2012, I returned from a combat tour to Afghanistan. While in the "sandbox", I was hurt in a vehicle accident. I injured both shoulders, my left hip and back. When I came back to the good ol' USA, I was sent to a wounded warrior unit. I spent the next 2 1/2 years getting "fixed". During these 2 1/2 years, I had 5 orthopedic surgeries, received care for PTSD and was diagnosed to have Rheumatoid Arthritis, which is an autoimmune disease. Between no longer being able to workout, being placed on an anti-depressant and taking large amounts of steroids, I quickly gained 50 lbs. I started a downward spiral. My commitment to myself to never return to being obese, was shattered. I am the only one to blame. Even though I have numerous anchors in my body from surgery, I still deal with pain every day. This weight is only making it worse. This is what brought me to the decision that I need bariatric surgery. I was medically retired from the Army, but I still receive all my benefits. My Army doctor has been very supportive in my desire for surgery. With his blessings and referral, I am now on my way!

I'm very thankful I found this site, and I look forward to posting my progress and cheering on my new friends! Thank you everyone for just being you!

Bonnie (Army MAJ retired)

Welcome! Good to have you here. If we can help in any way, don't hesitate to ask. :) - Abby

Thank you, Abby! I feel addicted to this site. I love all the info and encouragement I am receiving. You are doing an amazing job! You are quite an inspiration.

It is indeed a decision to make after a lot of research and talking with your PCP. I wish you the very best of luck. This IS a great 'community', here to help and encourage one another. Keep us up to date.PS, thanks so much for your service

Sent from my LGLS740 using the BariatricPal App

Welcome from a newbie here! All the best, it's a great journey and one that will change your life for the better! Looking forward to meeting more folks on here and making friends.

Welcome! This is a wonderful community of people that will listen, give you advice and encourage you on your journey! I love 'lurking' and seeing that questions that I have are questions that a lot of us have! Thank you for your service and I look forward to seeing your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Welcome! After what you have been through, weight loss surgery will be a piece of cake! This is a great website with a great group of folks. Feel free to ask any questions you need to ask and remember that we are all human in our answers and even though our surgeries are similar that we all have different bodies and things that work for some may not work for all. Good luck with your journey and your surgery. Take everything one day at a time, follow your doctor's and nutritionist's advice and you will have great success. Blessings!

Wow What a Story Thank you for both you story and your service to this country!!! Good luck on your journey and please keep us posted on how well you are doing and we all are here for you like you were here for us!!