Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I didn't have any alcohol for at least a year after surgery. But I do know people who have some at like 4 months they seem to be okay but be careful it doesn't take much!! Also, I like Crown with diet coke and found I was replacing it for foods because of the low calorie, carb count. It was like a dessert treat and I quickly put a stop to that. That is a slippery slope I don't want to go down. :)

@@lupita19 you are not going to die. But you might disrupt your goal. Why not wait until next year when you are really independent. I skipped drinking Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Eve in 2014. Not bragging, just saying.

But I have no idea where you are, what your goal is. It's empty calories that can stall your progress.

Lol. Lupita you are about to receive a lot of commentary.

My reply would be if you want a drink then get one and sip slowly. Keep in mind that alcohol may affect you a lot faster now and in a more dramatic fashion.

Don't count on being able to drink the whole thing. Just use caution and stop when it's enough.

@@OKCPirate thank u your right I should just wait so far iv lost 50 pounds and I keep losing and I don't want to mess that up thank u

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Good call. Next year rock a bikini and enjoy the fireworks (in every sense of that word)

Three basic answers to this question -

1 - ask your surgical team, as this is medical advice and doctors have different advice and opinions on this varying from a few weeks out to never again.

2 - do a search on this site for "alcohol" as this comes up frequently (like yesterday) and you will get as many answers as you like. Yesterday's thread was actually more civil and less nannying than usual.

3 - ask yourself why is it important that you have "X" (beer, wine, liquor, pizza, cake, pie, whatever) to Celebrate some occasion, and how does this relate to the problem that led you to WLS in the first place? Is it possible to celebrate without "X" one year?

My plan says it is allowed after one month. I have a hard time believing I would feel ready for that then. When I am ready I am planning on wine and will try it at home first to see how I react before drinking in public. Don't want to get sick, dump or get so drunk I embarrass myself :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@lupita19

Just drink bottled Water. If you have to drink something drink vodka and tonic.

Drinking beer is like drinking liquid bread, just say no.

I'm not much of a drinker to begin with, but I'll admit that I had a sip of wine at 5 weeks out because it was my birthday. It kinda burned a little going down but otherwise did nothing. It was one sip of wine, no need to slam me.

I had my first real drinks at 3 months out. I had 3 glasses of wine over the course of an evening. Guess what.. no difference at all in how I was affected. Nice little buzz but I wasn't falling down drunk, blacking out, or acting stupid. I haven't tried hard booze yet, but I can say from experience that wine affects me exactly the same way it did pre-surgery. If I want to get stupid drunk on wine, I'll have to drink a considerable amount of it. Fortunately I have no desire to get stupid drunk (or pile in all those extra calories.)

As for weight loss, drinking is bound to have an adverse effect. Calories aside, the body will burn alcohol before anything else, so while you are burning alcohol, you aren't burning through those evil carbs or, in the absence of carbs, attacking the fat.

All that said, I WILL be drinking 4th of July weekend and I might maybe possibly even choose to get drunk. If I gain weight over the weekend, it will be my own fault and I will pay for it and fix it. Even we sleevie peeps gotta live a little once in a while.

Again, I'm not much of a drinker in any case, but I would say that anyone who has a great liking for alcohol should just avoid it entirely.

Here's an example:

Tonight went out to eat and ordered my favorite drink which is 7UP, pineapple juice, and coconut rum. I love those things.

I drank 1/3 of it before the food arrived, drank another 1/3 while eating the food, got full after 6-7 bites of taco salad, left the remaining 1/3 of the drink there when I left.

It's kind of irritating, but very true that the drinks take the place of food as far as the amount of room you have in your stomach. Pre-sleeve I'd have eaten the entire salad and had 2 drinks and then would have been wondering about dessert. Now I have to choose carefully at restaurants. The upside to my irritation is that I'm never the fattest person in the restaurant. Life is compromise I guess.

Just my observation for the day.

I drank about 3 months after-- not a lot, but I felt 100% normal. I had one Rum and Diet Coke at a wedding and then last week I had a small margarita. I haven't had anything I couldn't tolerate like other people so I say use your cues. One drink will not ruin your weight loss efforts and for me has helped me feel like I am changing my lifestyle rather than being on this 1 year diet and then the gate open after a year.

I think you have to know your slippery slope foods/drinks. For me I can't eat chips and ice cream because I can eat a lot with my sleeve... but alcohol--nah, just one every month works with my life just fine.