Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass vs. Gastric Sleeve

I had RNY this past Monday and my decision was based on the long-term data, the "gold standard," and because of my problem with GERD. I'm still having a hard time getting my Protein shakes in (4 days postop) but I am so thrilled that I did this! I've always wanted to give up sugar to be healthier so with fear of dumping I have given up sugar. I realize that with some time I will be able to enjoy a cookie if I want but if I ever eat sugar again it will certainly be worth it!! Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have been mentally preparing for the sleeve and learned today I might have to have the bypass due to the presence of pre barrett's syndrome negating the sleeve as an option. Sorta bummed....but it is what it is.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

How did you make a decision on whether the bypass or sleeve is the better option? I'm really fearful of "dumping" with gastric bypass. I HATE being nauseated! When I read my own question it sound ridiculous, but this is really a concern for me.

Sleeve has 27 more years of data. It is the Gold Standard

Sent from my XT1080 using the BariatricPal App

How did you make a decision on whether the bypass or sleeve is the better option? I'm really fearful of "dumping" with gastric bypass. I HATE being nauseated! When I read my own question it sound ridiculous, but this is really a concern for me.

Sleeve has 27 more years of data. It is the Gold Standard

Sent from my XT1080 using the BariatricPal App

Sleeve doesn't have 27 more years than bypass.

@@Armygalbonnie,

Boy, is that ever NOT a ridiculous question! You’re trying to make one of the most important decisions of your life, and dumping syndrome is a serious concern. I would try to weigh dumping syndrome versus the other aspects of the sleeve versus bypass.

Dumping syndrome is a risk with both types, but a bigger one with the bypass. However, not everyone gets dumping with the bypass, and often you can prevent it by eating right and avoiding the foods you discovered caused it. It also will probably diminish or disappear with time, so it may not be something to fear for your entire life.

Then weigh the risks of dumping against things like how much weight you can expect to lose, whether you prefer a surgery that will include malabsorption (gastric bypass) or not (sleeve), and the effects on things like long-term maintenance and health conditions such as blood sugar control. Good luck!

@@Armygalbonnie,

Boy, is that ever NOT a ridiculous question! You’re trying to make one of the most important decisions of your life, and dumping syndrome is a serious concern. I would try to weigh dumping syndrome versus the other aspects of the sleeve versus bypass.

Dumping syndrome is a risk with both types, but a bigger one with the bypass. However, not everyone gets dumping with the bypass, and often you can prevent it by eating right and avoiding the foods you discovered caused it. It also will probably diminish or disappear with time, so it may not be something to fear for your entire life.

Then weigh the risks of dumping against things like how much weight you can expect to lose, whether you prefer a surgery that will include malabsorption (gastric bypass) or not (sleeve), and the effects on things like long-term maintenance and health conditions such as blood sugar control. Good luck!

What's malabsorption and is that bad? If I don't have a choice and I have to do the bypass is that still okay? I just don't like the idea of losing that choice. BUT I am sick of being fat and at 54 years old I am just done. Already very active and do Camp Gladiator at least three times a week. However, at some point my body won't be able to do that and my metabolism is shot to lose weight on its own.

@Mudgy6. I am very happy even though I still have a hard time with mirrors. Unfortunately I am unable to do much exercise due to 'bad' feet and I am super self conscious of swimming.

I had settled on the sleeve but in looking at my endoscopy from last June, Dr didn't like the evidence of pre barrett's syndrome so we are doing the endoscopy tomorrow for confirmation. I was very freaked out about the bypass as it didn't make as much sense to me. But the more I read about it, the more at ease I am becoming. I am just READY to be done with this, have a surgery, and meet all you people on the loser's bench! Shooting for November.

Okay....seemingly good news today. Had another endoscopy and there was no evidence of pre barrett's syndrome. No hopeful the bariatric doctor is satisfied and I can get the sleeve vs. Bypass. If I had no choice I word do the bypass but my preference is the sleeve. Now, psych eval next week and then the only thing left to complete is the 6 months of nutrition consults to qualify for insurance. Oh....did I mention that my max out of pocket for medical is $2500 and I am at $1900 already? ????

If you have any issues with reflux RNY is the way to go. I have it and would love to not have that issue anymore. I thought sleeve originally as well but after talking to my surgeon he said it would actually make my reflux worse to get the sleeve.

Thank you Generator! I have esophageal dysmotility so I'm pretty convinced RNY is the right choice. I FINALLY get to meet the bariatric surgery next Friday for my first consult. Let the waiting begin....

Had my consultation last Friday. Less than 4 months until surgery. My surgeon pretty much made my decision. Because I have an auto immune disease (RA), my surgeon said I need to be sleeved. Because occasionally I have to be on steroids, it's too risky to have gastric bypass. Regardless, I'm looking forward to WLS.

I am 5 weeks out of RNY and have frequent dumping which has little to do with carbs. This morning I had a scrambled egg (and chewed every bite quite well) with cheese and spent the next hour in misery. Thank goodness this is summer and I have nearly a month before I go back to work - I would have to leave my classes to lie down on my office floor if this happened during the semester. It is miserable. I am still happy to have chosen the RNY for its reversible aspect. I have a neighbor who became malabsorbtive and got absolutely emaciated - if that happened to me my stomach could take over again if necessary.

So basically choosing one surgery over the other is no guarantee, nor is diet in some cases. Make the healthiest decision and listen to your doc (mine had a long list of reasons he tried to talk patients out of sleeves).