Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spinning class?

hi,

funny that you ask about knees. i actually have arthritis in one knee.

my doctor said bicycling/spinning is the one exercise i currently do that he says is ok. i also do kickboxing and he hates this.

i had my spin instructor check my form and she made a few adjustments and my knee doesnt hurt at all.

i also use brace (like an ace bandagae kind) just to keep my knee stable.

i hope this helps

Thanks...this is a class I have always wanted to do. My gym does not offer it but I am going to switch gyms in the next month or so and they do offer it.

Shannon

Hello all,

Just read all 7 pages and there is alot of inspiration here! I was banded on Jan. 10th this yr and just Started working at the gym this past Monday. I am gonna wait 2-3 weeks to do a spinning class but in the mean time I have been doing the stationary bike trying to get in some type of shape. I havnt worked out in 10yrs so I know if I went a spin class now it would kick my ass!! So on monday I did random hill on the stationary for 10 min. with a level of 10(lvls1-20) and have increased the minutes by 1 everyday so now im up to 14 min. LOL I kinda feel like a loser cause i'm so out of shape. But im gonna continue to increase by 1-2 min. everyday until I think I might be rdy for a spin class and man this bike hurts my ass even more then the actual workout. They need to make some nice seats for us big guys :thumbup:

hi lowellk,

get the padded bike shorts or a gel seat. when i first did spinning i didnt have these and my butt hurt for weeks.

re: building up....i started right away. i sat in back and you can control the tension. so you can build up that way. this way you get a feel for the type of class you like (rhythm based, technicall, etc)

good luck

I am doing my first spin class tomorrow AM w/my trainer. I see the sweat and I want the LBS off my butt - hope I make it through w/out crashing...fingers crossed.

I am doing my first spin class tomorrow AM w/my trainer. I see the sweat and I want the LBS off my butt - hope I make it through w/out crashing...fingers crossed.

you will definately make it. If I could do it anyone could. I started spinning in November - weighing over 40lbs more than I do now and I love it so much and go 4-5 times per week when I can.

thanks karen - i did like the class, hubby LOVED it. i must say it is harder than it looks & appears addicting, after talking to some in the class - that's all they do some say.....

thanks karen - i did like the class, hubby LOVED it. i must say it is harder than it looks & appears addicting, after talking to some in the class - that's all they do some say.....

and burns tons of calories....

After all your posts I am dying to try this class. It is actually on a goal list I made several months ago. I have two questions.....I am still at 240 pounds (I have lost 90)....am I to heavy for this class? I dont want to look crazy for going in there....where can I find biker shorts that will fit me? I am at a size 22 right now.

Thanks

I think it will be fine at your weight. I started at like 220. You can adjust the resistance to your fitness level and who really cares how you look? When you walk out of the room nobody will give it another thought and you will feel great. go for it.

Thanks for your reply. I ordered the shorts over the internet. I know someone who teaches this class so she told me who to start off with and then eventually she can kill me in her class....lol.

I am going to start this class in two weeks. I will be off that week and it will be easier for me to join the new gym then.

Shannon

hi finding me

i started spinning when i was 250 lbs.....i actually dont think weight is an issue. i started slow (kept the resistance low and only stood when i could) and built myself up gradually.

i also invested in a heart monitor to watch my heart rate. i do this for all my classes. it also gives me calories burned which i love.

i was in 22 also at the time. i went and bought mens XL. i bought them at paragon in NYC but any bike shop has them

good luck

I want to know how has spinning helped with the weight loss? Did a good chunk fall off when you started? I went to two classes this week and have felt better but am wanting the pounds to just fall off from it! Will they?

Hey Everyone.....So I took some time off (ok, ok, 4 months worth of time!) but anyways, I got a good slap from my nutritionist and doctor, and I'm back to spinning. My first class since January is tomorrow night....and I actually can't wait!!!!

Good luck on your spin class tonight, you'll do great! I am really struggling with 2 lbs. right now (need to drop it to get to the 150's) so I have committed- now publicly- to do 5 spin classes this week. If that doesn't get those two pounds off nothing will!

Love spinning and love my band!:wink2:

Tracy in NorCal