Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone go to Mexico solo?

As it turns out, I dont think my husband can make the trip to Tijuana with me so it looks as though I will be going by myself. I live outside of LA so will probably just take the train to San Diego cuz its probably not wise to drive home medicated! I guess I will stay by the airport the night before and just take a taxi to the pick up spot in the morning. Anyone else go down there by themselves?? I'm not at all worried about the care i will receive or even being solo in Mexico (LA is probably worse! Lol)...its just scary having surgery alone and far from home.

I would have (but mom wanted to come, she was an RN and has good survival Spanish skills so I couldn't say no).

There were several at the center I was at who came by themselves and they were perfectly fine. If you are mobile enough to take the train down and don't have any other health issues, IMHO, not a problem. But good call on the not driving in Southern California right after. It's not the meds that are the problems its the twisting (which puts a strain on incision sites) initially that is the problem and after being in LA a couple of weeks ago, I notice I did a great deal of twisting. Better not to drive until you get a better sense of "what's hurting."

As it turns out, I dont think my husband can make the trip to Tijuana with me so it looks as though I will be going by myself. I live outside of LA so will probably just take the train to San Diego cuz its probably not wise to drive home medicated! I guess I will stay by the airport the night before and just take a taxi to the pick up spot in the morning. Anyone else go down there by themselves?? I'm not at all worried about the care i will receive or even being solo in Mexico (LA is probably worse! Lol)...its just scary having surgery alone and far from home.

When are you going? I'll be there on the 23rd...buT most likely not the same Dr. It's funny how we think we'll be there alone and meet so many people there!

I was there 2 weeks ago, and there was a girl across the hall from me. She had a different surgeon, but was there on her own. Her family didn't support her decision to have the surgery, which was sad. But we talked as we walked the hall to get rid of the gas pain. She was a sweetheart, and she seemed to be doing well. I think she was a little lonely, but it's just for a couple of days! Besides the nurses are so nice (though I don't know what surgeon/hospital you're going to) at the one I want to!

I am scheduled with Dr Illan on Aug. 23rd. I am doing it thru BariatricPal Team MX. I am about a 3 hour drive from San Diego which is why i was coming down the night before. Unfortunately my husaband cant get off work and my mother is way too frail to travel.

I am scheduled with Dr Illan on Aug. 23rd. I am doing it thru BariatricPal Team MX. I am about a 3 hour drive from San Diego which is why i was coming down the night before. Unfortunately my husaband cant get off work and my mother is way too frail to travel.

Cool! I'm going thru BP too. I'm almost certain they have a few people scheduled for that day. You may travel alone but you won't be alone :)

SWEET!!! we will have be "sleeve buddies"!! its like thunder buddies only better!! hahahaha

I'm going Solo as well, my husband has to make the money and I'm getting this surgery my any means necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I went by myself and they still took great care of me

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

I've been to TJ for surgery twice by myself. I'm glad I went alone. I would have felt obligated to keep a companion entertained and I was in no shape to be worrying about that. It was nice to only have to think about taking care of myself.

I will be traveling alone from SC to Tijuana August 5

I was there 2 weeks ago, and there was a girl across the hall from me. She had a different surgeon, but was there on her own. Her family didn't support her decision to have the surgery, which was sad. But we talked as we walked the hall to get rid of the gas pain. She was a sweetheart, and she seemed to be doing well. I think she was a little lonely, but it's just for a couple of days! Besides the nurses are so nice (though I don't know what surgeon/hospital you're going to) at the one I want to!

May I ask why you were there for two weeks?

May I ask why you were there for two weeks?

I wasn't there for two weeks, it was two weeks ago that I was there. I was there from June 13th to June 17th. With the BariatricPalTeamMX you spend 2 nights in the hospital, and 2 in the recovery condos. Then you go home on the fifth day.

Edited by MissKay

I was there 6/23 and returned home 6/26. Had no issues with being there alone. I called it my vacation. :)

Sent from my LG-H901 using the BariatricPal App